Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High Quality Reasonably Priced SPL Meter?
(27-Aug-2015, 22:18)Antoine Wrote: I suggested you and someone else with that issue to check the mic volume in the OS. The default (at least in Windows) is rather low...

Indeed so Antoine!  I also recall Thumb5 mentioned something about a hidden gain switch.  I must admit that last time I played with REW I got a bit frustrated and gave up.  Now if I get a bit of free time at the weekends I think about trying REW again, but then think no, I'll just stick some tunes on.....

I'll give it another go soon!
(27-Aug-2015, 21:13)Confused Wrote:
(27-Aug-2015, 18:11)listener Wrote: There is the well known Software "REW" from Image Shack in US (free when registered).
It works perfectly with the USB-microphone UMIK-1  ( http://www.minidsp.com/products/acoustic...ent/umik-1 ), about 75$ or similar in €.
Calibration file can be downloaded by serial number.

Sound is send via PC or Laptop to the Devialet, no need for a soundcard or anything. Available for Mac and PC.

When I use REW with a UMIK microphone and always get a microphone volume level error messages.  Is the calibration file you mention used to correct specifically for the UMIK?  I can get nice graphs etc. from REW but have no confidence in the results due to the errors.  Maybe this is the answer?

I guess listener is referring to the calibration file that is associated with each individual UMIK-1 (by serial number). As I understand it, it's supposed to correct for variations from flat frequency response from one mic to the next. I don't think it will make a big difference to the overall volume level as perceived by REW (but I may be wrong!).
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK