Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Received my Gemini today! - first impressions
So far....so good!

Before you do ANYTHING with them, you need to remove the stickers over the 4 charging points on each ear bud.  Then plug the charging cradle in, and let them sit there for 20-30 minutes so they have some juice. 

Then, connect them to bluetooth and get them updated.  I connected out of the box, but each ear bud was at 0%, so that didn't last very long.  You can't update them until they are at least 50%.

I ran a quick errand and came back 20-30 minutes later, and they were charged and ready to go. 

Connected easily, and the the sound was GREAT!

Listened to them during my workout...and then noticed there was an update available.  I'm on android, and it took a few tries to get it to update.  You will KNOW when it is updating.  If you click update and it just closes...it isn't updating.  Leave them in the cradle with the slider open to update them. 

Just try it a few times and then it should take.  I've heard some people had to reboot their phone.  I probably didn't have to do that, because I installed the gemini app a few weeks ago, and my phone has been rebooted several times. 

Once they were updated...I was ready to try a phone call.  

The thing that BLEW ME AWAY - was the active noise cancelling.

I have a classic Porsche 911 that is all dialed in.  It has NO stereo, NO a/c, NO power steering, NO anti-lock brakes...track suspension, some engine work, no rear seats, and most sound deadening removed.  It is a BLAST to drive!!

Needless to say, the engine makes a great sound...but not the best for taking the occasional phone call.  The engine is 'loud' and I've only found ONE headset I can use in the car where people can hear me...but I can't hear them that well as it only hooks on one ear.  

That said...THESE THINGS ROCK!!  I had noise cancelling on HIGH, and I could barely hear my car.  I called my brother to see how I sounded...he could hear some noise, but all in all, it was great!  I could hear him loud and clear!  Most calls with other ear buds and bluetooth headsets end in about 10 seconds as people say "I can't hear a word you are saying...all I hear is your car!"  lol

But not with the Gemini!!

As far as the sound goes...

The BASS response is impressive for ear buds.  The overall sound quality is great for the 45-60 minutes I listened to them.  Crisp highs, full sound.  Really fun and enjoyable for the 45 min or so I listened to them.

I haven't played with the EQ very much at all. 

The only REAL gripe I have is the size of the charging case.  It definitely isn't as pocket friendly as my Samsung Galaxy Buds....or even Air Pods.  The construction and feel is great, just wish it was smaller. 

Also...the packaging was great.  Very high quality and well packaged. 

I obviously love the Devialet sound as I have a Reactor 900 (2 years), and Expert Pro 440 (2 months). 

So far, so good.  Looking forward to REALLY getting acquainted with them over the coming days. 

Hope this helps...
-----
MAIN: Devialet Expert Pro 440, KEF R11, JL Audio Fathom 112v2, Niagara 1200, Audioquest Monsoon, NRG-Z3 cables, bi-wire Rocket 33.

BEDROOM: KEF LS-50, Nuprime IDA-16, Node 2i, JL Audio e-sub 110, Crystal Cables
GYM:  Devialet Reactor 900
EARS: Gemini on order, and custom JH Audio - JH13v2 Pro's
ROON running on 8-bay QNAP NAS for Tidal Streaming (no stored music)
(15-Dec-2020, 08:38)SoCalB Wrote: So far....so good!

So far, so good.  Looking forward to REALLY getting acquainted with them over the coming days. 

Hope this helps...

Thanks for your first impression. It makes me leaning towards getting them, too. Would be great to hear of you after more listening and maybe some comparisons with other in-ear headphones you might have used. Thanks again. Great report!
(16-Dec-2020, 22:50)streamy Wrote:
(15-Dec-2020, 08:38)SoCalB Wrote: So far....so good!

Hope this helps...

Thanks for your first impression. It makes me leaning towards getting them, too. Would be great to hear of you after more listening and maybe some comparisons with other in-ear headphones you might have used. Thanks again. Great report!

A few more days in...REALLY loving them for ear buds. 

I'm coaching 39 business owners and entrepreneurs right now...so I'm on the phone a LOT. 

I LOVE the voice quality on these...and that I can go right to music in between, or during a workout.

When I fly, or am doing SERIOUS music listening via earphones, I have my JH Audio custom IEM's JH13 v2 pro's with 8 drivers per ear. 

...aside from the fact that I can't use any of my 'amps' with these earbuds, they sound amazing!

That Devialet sound...with zero distortion all the way to max volume.

Was listening to some Post Malone and other EDM/Hip Hop during my workout and was REALLY impressed with the bass, and overall sound in general.

For $299 and what you are getting...kind of a no brainer to me.  Then again, I also have a Reactor 900 and Expert Pro 440...so these were 'cheap'.

For $50 more than new air pods, or about that for Samsung buds (which I own)...these are GREAT!

I usually keep them in neutral...or I use the noise cancelling when in my Porsche (for a call) which is HUGE for me! 

Get them...try them out...if you don't like them, they are great with returns (so I've heard).

Hope this helps!
-----
MAIN: Devialet Expert Pro 440, KEF R11, JL Audio Fathom 112v2, Niagara 1200, Audioquest Monsoon, NRG-Z3 cables, bi-wire Rocket 33.

(17-Dec-2020, 18:38)SoCalB Wrote: Get them...try them out...if you don't like them, they are great with returns (so I've heard).

Hope this helps!

Thanks again, yes that’s what I most probably will do! Convincing impression you phrase here. Good to hear that Devialet despite they cause troubles to many buyers with flaky SW implementations do the HW right. In the end after some time the SW gets to a usable state and the HW shines.
Sounds good. Do you know if they Support multipoint connection? I want an Headset that can connect to my Phone and my PC simuntaniously
Canton Karat Reference 6.2 DC | Expert 220 Pro | Canton Karat AS500
Canton Karat Reference 2.2 DC | Expert 400
ROON Server | Supermicro M11SDV-8CT-LN4F | Mellanox Connect-X 3 40G | Samsung PM1725a 3.2TB
Ultrasone Edition 8 EX | Coord MOJO + POLY

(17-Dec-2020, 18:38)SoCalB Wrote: When I fly, or am doing SERIOUS music listening via earphones, I have my JH Audio custom IEM's JH13 v2 pro's with 8 drivers per ear. 

I usually keep them in neutral...or I use the noise cancelling when in my Porsche (for a call) which is HUGE for me! 
Thank you for posting your extensive feedback.

When I was flying a lot, my Bose QC25s were my saviour, excellent noise cancelling and did not mind the sound when on the move. But not for listening at home! My ears could not take IEMs, getting painful, often after a few minutes.

How comfortable are they? What is the battery life like, with and without noise cancelling?
Picked up my Gemini today at SteReoFil in Oslo (excellent service from Jens & co following up on the delay) , setup was a breathe and the SOUND QUALITY is something else compared to my old Apple AirPod Pros!!!

Whoahhhhhh!!!!

- Tristan -
Very sceptical. Can you elaborate a bit on the sound quality compared to the AirPods Pro?
Devialet Phantom Gold Duo | Devialet Phantom Reactor 600 Duo | 2x New Devialet Remote | 4x HiFiBerry RAAT endpoints & low-cost passive speakers — Roon Lifetime
Pro:
More details, much more stage to AirPods Pro
Negativ:
The sizes of silicone cones don‘t fit for all customers
UPDATE!!!!

It has been 2 weeks and 2 days since I got these....and I'm torn.

I've messaged support a few times...and at the point of getting a replacement set, or returning them.

I LOVE the sound! They sound amazing!

BUT...

the reliability of connection and charging is a deal breaker for me.

Last night...each bud was at 99%. I plugged the case in so it would be 100% in the morning.

I had a call this morning, get the buds out...and one is at 100%, the other 0%.

I've had this happen 4-5 times now.

Not sure how/why it drains when not connected.

Also have the issue of it connecting to the phone while still in the case...and NOT disconnecting when I put it in the case.

I want to hope it is a software issue....

BUT after looking at the robustness of my galaxy buds (that took 5-6 updates to work great...but sound nowhere near as good as the Gemini), I don't think the size and stiffness of the charging pins...and the size of the contact patch are enough.

My bluetooth instantly breaks connection once the galaxy buds are dropped back in the case. Not so for the gemini.

I've taken eraser, q-tip, etc. to clean the contacts - doesn't help.

As much as I love the sound....I'm thinking of returning them for now, and giving them several months. Watch the forums and see if issues get corrected.

I honestly think better hardware design of the case/charging pins/connectors, not software is the answer in my opinion. But what do I know...

Kind of surprised this product was released as these issues started showing up for me within 2-3 days of getting them.

Again, the SOUND is AMAZING! ...I just can't rely on the crapshoot if my buds are charging or not, or if they will connect or not.

I use them for calls a lot...and I need them to charge when dropped back into the case. Often times, they stay connected even in case...and even with the case closed.

Would love opinions to see if others are having these issues.

Again, the sound is AMAZING....just the reliability of charging/connecting needs work. I have to carry my galaxy buds as backups whereever I go.

Hope this helps...and would love to hear any opinions of whether I got a faulty pair, or if I should just return them and try again in a few months after hopefully some updates.

All I know is that samsung was hitting the galaxy buds with updates pretty quickly and frequently. I know they have a much bigger audience, but still.
-----