Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reclockers/Regenerators
Has anybody used anything like the iFi SPDIF iPurifier or the Wyred 4 Sound Remedy Reclocker? I'm frustrated with Spark and bypassing it on a full-time basis apart from volume control is looking more appealing. I do have my Mac Mini hooked up through the optical, but find Spark, for all of its faults, does sound better so I wondering if I fixed the optical input coming in if it would help (once Devialet completely fixes the the crackling sound issue with the Dialog).
(19-Oct-2016, 20:27)cloudkicker Wrote: Has anybody used anything like the iFi SPDIF iPurifier or the Wyred 4 Sound Remedy Reclocker? I'm frustrated with Spark and bypassing it on a full-time basis apart from volume control is looking more appealing. I do have my Mac Mini hooked up through the optical, but find Spark, for all of its faults, does sound better so I wondering if I fixed the optical input coming in if it would help (once Devialet completely fixes the the crackling sound issue with the Dialog).

There are no numbers known to man that can sound any better or worse than the same numbers transmitted by any another medium. Full stop.
I use the Wyre4Sound RECOVERY for the USB out. It provides a distinct improvement to two of my USB audio devices including a nice DAC. The audio becomes more coherent and thus have more focus and weight. As a former electrical engineer, I was surprised as I expected to return it but the difference is undeniable.

I have heard good thing about the REmedy and have been toying around with the possibility of getting one also. Please let me know if you try one.
(20-Oct-2016, 20:15)MountainGuy Wrote: I use the Wyre4Sound RECOVERY for the USB out.  It provides a distinct improvement to two of my USB audio devices including a nice DAC.  The audio becomes more coherent and thus have more focus and weight.  As a former electrical engineer, I was surprised as I expected to return it but the difference is undeniable.  

I have heard good thing about the REmedy and have been toying around with the possibility of getting one also.  Please let me know if you try one.

Are you using the Recovery or Remedy USB with PHANTOMS?
I have had the  iFi SPDIF iPurifier for a few weeks now. I finally had the chance to sit down and do some comparisons. My chain is Roon >RPi2 with Hifi Digi+DAC> Silver Phantoms.

I compared Spark to Optical with and without the iFi for a few sessions with a few tracks I know well - mix of pop/rock/electronic/vocal/acoustic.

My conclusion is it does make a positive improvement particularly with well recorded music. It's not huge but worth it as a cheap improvement. I agree that Spark direct sounds the best but a PITA to use. The iFi brought my source closer to the clarity and definition of Spark. I think Spark is still slightly better but the gap is much less and with lesser quality music and Tidal streaming the difference is barely noticeable for me. My RPi has a linear power supply and my music sits on a NAS with Roon. Everything matters in the chain and I think Spark shows you how the source quality cannot be ignored. It also shows to me at least that the Phantoms optical input (I go direct not via Dialog) can reveal improvements in the source. Others will say it's all 1's and 0's and bits are bits but not in my experience.

Possibly if I had a more upmarket source with better optical output then may not see any improvement but most audio sources focus on USB these days.

The ifi is a bit clunky in design as there are a lot of adaptors etc to get it to work with optical in/out but once you set it up there is nothing to do. It comes with a low noise power supply.
I may experiment with optical cables next.

cloudkicker what software are you using on the mac mini?
(21-Oct-2016, 06:45)stevec Wrote: cloudkicker what software are you using on the mac mini?

For music I'm using Audirvana Plus. I like the sound and it has Tidal integration. In addition to the sound, it plays gapless (even with Tidal) and the iPad app works well. I also use Vox for Internet radio.