Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reduce max power with high efficiency speakers or not?
No ethernet port on the D-Premier no. Why do you ask?

Yes I found that setting to lower the e default start up volume. It also lowers to that volume any time you change source which is great!

Tried a couple of times back and forth from 30 watts to 240 watts - but it’s so hard to judge with a minutes space in between, and the relative volume changes a bit so hard to volume match.

But i think using a decibel app I had roughly the same volume - and pretty sure there’s no major difference, but hard to tell, and now has me wondering!

Why did you think there was a reduction in sound quality to your ears when you used to do it? It doesn’t affect the ampage / current delivery in the power supply right?

Cheers Smile
Jamie
(23-Mar-2021, 22:54)Jamington2004 Wrote: No ethernet port on the D-Premier no. Why do you ask?

Yes I found that setting to lower the e default start up volume. It also lowers to that volume any time you change source which is great!

Tried a couple of times back and forth from 30 watts to 240 watts - but it’s so hard to judge with a minutes space in between, and the relative volume changes a bit so hard to volume match.

But i think using a decibel app I had roughly the same volume - and pretty sure there’s no major difference, but hard to tell, and now has me wondering!

Why did you think there was a reduction in sound quality to your ears when you used to do it? It doesn’t affect the ampage / current delivery in the power supply right?

Cheers Smile
Jamie

The wifi in a D-Premier is weak and will most likely only create problems for you. For stable streaming stick with what you have or check the Raspberrys +HATs

For the power look here: https://devialetchat.com/Thread-adjust-p...2#pid86192
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Oh right - that's annoying! Smile

Currently using Chromecast into Optical, after my airport express kept dropping out. And now the Chromecast keeps dropping out! (Tidal IOS!)

Will check some other options - although I'm determined to at least get AIR Open on my laptop! No luck so far Smile
If you want to try AIR, Roon's implementation of the AIR protocol is more stable and robust than Devialet's virtual sound card. If you're lucky 16/44.1 may work with Roon and D-Premier, maybe 24bit too. You'll soon find out if you try...
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
Cool. Can’t justify Roon though I only use TIDAL hifi streaming so don’t have a library of music
(24-Mar-2021, 19:34)Jamington2004 Wrote: Cool. Can’t justify Roon though I only use TIDAL hifi streaming so don’t have a library of music

RoPieeeXL can do all you need (I think). An Allo DigiOne HAT can send up to 192kHz via SPDIF coax to your D-P.

Devialetless!
(23-Mar-2021, 22:54)Jamington2004 Wrote: No ethernet port on the D-Premier no. Why do you ask?

Cheers Smile
Jamie
I am not surprised that with the time it takes to switch from a power limited configuration to the non power limited one the short term auditive memory time widow is exceeding.

In addition, any difference if there are any, would be very subtle because mostly of indirect order, mostly affecting how the PSU is solicited.

It would be the same thing as DPM is doing on the Pro versions. Some people hear a difference, others don't... I'm in the "don't" category.

Therefore I would say that the only reason for me to be limiting the power would be convenience of not being able to exceed a certain power to my speakers and in no way anything related to SQ.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
Yeah - as I thought thanks Smile

One strange thing I noticed though - maybe you can tell me if I’m going mad?

I set the balance while I was on 240watts - and noted the value for my 2 listening positions.

The left hand sofa was 34% and perfectly centred.

Now I switched to 30 watts - the balance is off and I need to push to more like 50% to get it centred

Could it be related to the DSP in anyway?

Thanks Smile
Jamie
(25-Mar-2021, 15:28)Jamington2004 Wrote: Yeah - as I thought thanks Smile

One strange thing I noticed though - maybe you can tell me if I’m going mad?

I set the balance while I was on 240watts - and noted the value for my 2 listening positions.

The left hand sofa was 34% and perfectly centred.

Now I switched to 30 watts - the balance is off and I need to push to more like 50% to get it centred

Could it be related to the DSP in anyway?

Thanks Smile
Jamie

I doubt that it is DSP related unless there is a nasty bug. 

I would be encline to think that this is more due to a slightly different volume that excites your room differently. 

Obviously, because you end up with 34% and 50%, your setup is asymmetric. 

An interesting experiment would be to keep the max power to 240W and test the balance at different volumes with the same record and a passage with a fairly constant volume. 

You try with the volume at -70dB, up to -20 by steps of 10dB. 

I would not be surprised that you end up finding different values for the different levels. 

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
Makes sense thanks Jean-Marie.
Could also be I’m just going mad Smile Smile This evening 35% seems about right again!

I remember with Phantom Golds there was a glitch where they would be off balance quite badly - and a full reset would fix it. But I guess they have a lot more DSP going on to sort out the stereo sound.

I have to say it’s the thing I’m most pleased about the amp (apart from the sound) - having a simple balance on the remote is so handy!
It’s hard enough to find an amp with a knob on it - let alone one I can tweak from my seat at the touch of a button
It was nice surprise too as I didn’t know it would be possible when I ordered it - I thought it was only the newer models

Love it Smile