Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Regar Planar 6 Ania vs Ortofon 2M Bronze with a Devialet Expert Pro 220
I'm considering upgrading my vinyl-setup to a Regar Planar 6. At the same time I'm considering what pick-up / stylus to use wit hit. I'm choosing between the following 3;
  • Rega Ania MC
  • Rega Ania Pro MC
  • Ortofon 2M Bronz
I have never had any MC pick-ups and am wondering whether I need a special pre-amp, or whether the Devialet Expert 220 Pro is going to be able to sufficiently amplify the signal from the two MC pick-ups?

Also, if any of you have any experience with any of the above pick-ups together with a Devialet Expert Pro, that would be even better of course Smile

Thanks for any insights!
I have a Rega RP6, the predecessor of the Planar 6, with a Ortofon Quinet Black MC cartridge. It is nice. The reason i went with ortofon is that i could get a nice deal on it, it sounded good, ortofon has a good reputation and i had lost faith in Rega cartridges after bad experiences with their MM carts. However, the Ania’s appear to be very good according to all the reviews. Obviously the Rega turntables match with Rega carts. If you decide to go for Ortofon (possibly also other brands) then you have to use spacers for the arm to set the correct VTA / SRA as the Ortofon carts are larger / higher than Rega. I had to use 4 mm spacers but then you need to use a smaller counterweight (read more expensive) on the arm otherwise the dust lid cannot close.

The D220 Pro can amplify MM and MC carts. I use it with my above mentioned turntable. Please be aware that with low output voltage MC’s there is a hiss audible when the turntable is on but no music is playing and the volume is turned up. My Ortofon is 0.3 mV while the Ania’s are a bit higher (about 0.35 mV) so the hiss might be less with the Ania’s. With MM carts there is no hiss. The question is, is the hiss present when actually playing music. I cannot hear it but my OCD is not really convinced. For the hisss thing please look this up on this forum for more info / opinions. To avoid the hiss some people use a Step Up Tranformer (SUT) to amplify the output signal from the turntable before it goes to the D220.
Devialet 220 pro expert; Focal 1028 Be; Rega RP6; Ortofon Quintet Black
Maybe an MC cartridge is a better choice, but go with a high output model like one of the Hana *H or the Dynavector 10X5 mkII to avoid hiss. The Rega Planar6 is an excellent turntable.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Excellent, thanks for all the input Smile
Personally I would not use anything with an output lower than appr. 1mV. It is just too much noise/hiss I think.
Spiral Groove/Soundsmith - jRiver/Audiophile Optimizer/Process Lasso - Devialet 1000 pro - Rockport Ankaa
Nordost Valhalla, Brahma, Frey2+ & Tyr2/Ansuz Mainz C/D8
Isoacoustics OREA/Shunyata Dark Field/Nordost QV/QK
Devialet Gemini
(31-Mar-2021, 14:15)frejo Wrote: Personally I would not use anything with an output lower than appr. 1mV. It is just too much noise/hiss I think.

I am using a Lyra Delos 0,6mV and a Ace Glider 0,4 mV without any noticeable hiss on max volume. Player Rega P8. On my old P25 there was some hiss. Could it depend on cables and earthing?
Expert Pro 220. Dynaudio C1 II. Rega P8. Lyra Delos. Primare BD 32. 
We have tried many different setups both at my home, friends home and at a dealer. Every time we got the same result with to much hiss. You are probably lucky to have a very quiet setup @ThomasD
Spiral Groove/Soundsmith - jRiver/Audiophile Optimizer/Process Lasso - Devialet 1000 pro - Rockport Ankaa
Nordost Valhalla, Brahma, Frey2+ & Tyr2/Ansuz Mainz C/D8
Isoacoustics OREA/Shunyata Dark Field/Nordost QV/QK
Devialet Gemini