Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remote mayhem with two Devialet Experts
Hi @amaynard

Interesting thread. I suppose that early on Devialet made the assumption that nobody would have two of their amps in RF range of each other. After all, the first amp was the D Premier, and it was +/- $15,000.00 USD. It was also a very unusual product at the time, in terms of technology and form. Getting the few persons with the available budget, and interest in audio, to invest in such an amplifier would have been the challenge.

I might also think that an early design concern would have been rapid and reliable remote and amp pairing. Dropped connections would be a bigger risk to the consumer and daily operation. I don't know how many other remotes are RF rather than IR, but that too may have been new tech for hi-fi.

Penultimate thought: if you upgraded one of the units, then could the Pro CI system could be used without affecting the original Expert system?

Ultimate thought: if you put a refrigerator between the two amps, say, hung from the ceiling and plugged in and running, that would be a low-tech solution. Our Dev remote doesn't work when I'm in the kitchen and the refrigerator is between me and the amp. I'll leave the installation details to you to solve. Bonus points if it gives you extra cold beer or cool wine storage.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(10-Mar-2021, 17:52)Damon Wrote: ...

Ultimate thought: if you put a refrigerator between the two amps, say, hung from the ceiling and plugged in and running, that would be a low-tech solution. Our Dev remote doesn't work when I'm in the kitchen and the refrigerator is between me and the amp. I'll leave the installation details to you to solve. Bonus points if it gives you extra cold beer or cool wine storage.

I love the thought of rigging a refrigerator up as a Heath Robinson Faraday barrier  Shy I did actually begin to wonder about somehow adding shielding ... and one option is to use a foil underlay under the upstairs carpet. But it's a bit of an extreme fix.

You may be right about the design pathway here. And of course, even with this design flaw the Devialet remote is incredible. I'm a remote snob, and one of the reasons I love this amp is that they achieved something with it that no other company has managed in producing a responsive analog-feel remote control.
Systems: Expert 200 + Linn Majik 109 + Roon | Expert 120 + Linn Tukan + Roon | Linn Majik DSM3/Exactbox + Linn Majik 140 Active
(10-Mar-2021, 18:12)amaynard Wrote:
(10-Mar-2021, 17:52)Damon Wrote: ...

I love the thought of rigging a refrigerator up as a Heath Robinson Faraday barrier  Shy I did actually begin to wonder about somehow adding shielding ... and one option is to use a foil underlay under the upstairs carpet. But it's a bit of an extreme fix.

You may be right about the design pathway here. And of course, even with this design flaw the Devialet remote is incredible. I'm a remote snob, and one of the reasons I love this amp is that they achieved something with it that no other company has managed in producing a responsive analog-feel remote control.

Again, since the pairing only occurs when the signal from the remote exceeds a given level at the amp (hence actually designed to support multiple, independent amps+assigned remotes in the same room, even if this threshold happens to be too low), you may try to reduce the received signal strength by shielding specifically the amp (or the remote), which looks quite easier:
if you look for a solution, covering the window under the amp showing a red device with some conductive material (e.g. aluminium foil) should lower the pairing threshold and help fixing the issue. Low-tech but probably efficient.
The material of the table also has an impact.

You still can enjoy beer or wine while listening ;-)
Is Devialet Expert app working with your Devialet model? If yes, then you can control one of your amps (or both) using this app.
(12-Mar-2021, 17:46)daniel.avasilichioaei Wrote: Is Devialet Expert app working with your Devialet model? If yes, then you can control one of your amps (or both) using this app.

Thanks - and yes. I'm also controlling through Roon. It's just a pain when you don't have full access to the functionality of the remote.  Plus, the Devialet remote is a massive part of the Devialet experience, so sad not to be able to use it!
Systems: Expert 200 + Linn Majik 109 + Roon | Expert 120 + Linn Tukan + Roon | Linn Majik DSM3/Exactbox + Linn Majik 140 Active