Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Renault X Devialet
Is it a 'Micro Death Star' or do they simply promote the Globe in this hard times they have  Big Grin
gui
"Oh, you can buy the other. But then it is a cost intensive learning process"
berlin
Nothing on earth would persuade me to buy another Renault. If every other car company ceased to exist I'd buy a bike instead.
250 Pro CI; Innuos Zen Mk3; Claro dual turntable (Expert Stylus Denon + OL Aladdin Mk2); RCM Sensor2; Wilson Sabrina; OePhi speaker cables; Puritan PM156 conditioner and Ultimate cables.
This looks like a great design for mini Phantoms.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
[quote pid='69863' dateline='1513621377']
Nothing on earth would persuade me to buy another Renault. If every other car company ceased to exist I'd buy a bike instead.
[/quote]

Really? This has me pretty much sold:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuCCpaI6y-k

Cheers,
Bernard
Room: Gik Acoustics | Vibration: Townshend pods | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Everest + Sigma NR v2 + Sigma ground cables | Source: Mojo Audio DejaVu EVO linux server running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore Optical module + Melco S10P with dedicated LPS + Shunyata Omega Ethernet x 2| Synchronous: Mutec MC-3 + USB (Paul Hynes SR7T LPS) + Cybershaft OP21A (Shunyata Omega USB, AES/EBU, clock cables) | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro CI (Chord Sarum T RCA-RCA link) | Speakers: Chord Sarum T cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1
(22-Dec-2017, 02:56)bernardl Wrote: [quote pid='69863' dateline='1513621377']

Cheers,
Bernard
[/quote]

I suspect @ssfas has had bad past experience of a Renault, such an experience can have profound lasting and unalterable effects, so I doubt he will be swayed by the shiny new Alpine.  I am quite sure nothing can ever change his view now.

Anyway, back on topic, I note with interest that the Alpine appears to have Focal speakers.  See screenshot below, taken from 12:40 of the YouTube clip:

OK, Focal speakers in a car is a nice touch, but there are some problems.  The thing is over £50k and has a 1.8 litre 4 cylinder engine.  The reviewer states that it sounds nice for a 4 pot, but that is not the point, some rivals have 6 cylinder engines, and 6 cylinder engines are oh so much nicer.

Even worse, no manual gearbox.  A sports car must have one of these, and I mean a proper gearstick with a clutch that is operated by a clutch pedal.  There is no point buying a focused driver's car and then let a bunch of electronics and a dual clutch flappy paddle system do half the driving for you.  A manual gearbox is not even an option.

Don't get me wrong, I can see the appeal of the Alpine, but for me it is almost there but flawed, and a somewhat overpriced.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(22-Dec-2017, 09:40)Confused Wrote:
(22-Dec-2017, 02:56)bernardl Wrote: [quote pid='69863' dateline='1513621377']

Cheers,
Bernard

I suspect @ssfas has had bad past experience of a Renault, such an experience can have profound lasting and unalterable effects, so I doubt he will be swayed by the shiny new Alpine.  I am quite sure nothing can ever change his view now.

Anyway, back on topic, I note with interest that the Alpine appears to have Focal speakers.  See screenshot below, taken from 12:40 of the YouTube clip:

OK, Focal speakers in a car is a nice touch, but there are some problems.  The thing is over £50k and has a 1.8 litre 4 cylinder engine.  The reviewer states that it sounds nice for a 4 pot, but that is not the point, some rivals have 6 cylinder engines, and 6 cylinder engines are oh so much nicer.

Even worse, no manual gearbox.  A sports car must have one of these, and I mean a proper gearstick with a clutch that is operated by a clutch pedal.  There is no point buying a focused driver's car and then let a bunch of electronics and a dual clutch flappy paddle system do half the driving for you.  A manual gearbox is not even an option.

Don't get me wrong, I can see the appeal of the Alpine, but for me it is almost there but flawed, and a somewhat overpriced.
[/quote]

Personally I would say going from a double clutch automatic to a manual is like going back from Roon to a record player. No thanks. If I could afford one on the side, then maybe.

BTW, shouldn't it have an Alpine stereo in it?
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(22-Dec-2017, 11:32)Pim Wrote: Personally I would say going from a double clutch automatic to a manual is like going back from Roon to a record player. No thanks. If I could afford one on the side, then maybe.

How do you do heal-and-toe double declutches on a turntable?

Actually, I have had this conversation endlessly with a car fanatic mate of mine, we have similar cars, his with 7-speed paddle change dual clutch, mine is 6 speed manual.  He tries to insult me, claiming I'm 'old school'.  This fails to insult me because I consider myself to be 'old school' with respect to cars.  How old school?  My last car was Australian! (I quite like my record player too)  It's a personal preference thing, some of the newer double clutch gearboxes are stunningly good and I have no issues with folk who like them, or automatics, or diesels, or going by bus, it's just not something I'd want myself.

As for the Alpine stereo joke, it gets a smiley from me! Shy
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(22-Dec-2017, 11:59)Confused Wrote:
(22-Dec-2017, 11:32)Pim Wrote: Personally I would say going from a double clutch automatic to a manual is like going back from Roon to a record player. No thanks. If I could afford one on the side, then maybe.

Actually, I have had this conversation endlessly with a car fanatic mate of mine, we have similar cars, his with 7-speed paddle change dual clutch, mine is 6 speed manual.  He tries to insult me, claiming I'm 'old school'.  This fails to insult me because I consider myself to be 'old school' with respect to cars.  How old school?  My last car was Australian!  (I quite like my record player too)  It's a personal preference thing, some of the newer double clutch gearboxes are stunningly good and I have no issues with folk who like them, or automatics, or diesels, or going by bus, it's just not something I'd want myself.

This is completely off topic but who cares. An Australian car? Question number one: What car? Question number two: Why? Only bogans drive Australian cars and you don't strike me as a bogan.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(22-Dec-2017, 12:23)Pim Wrote:
(22-Dec-2017, 11:59)Confused Wrote:

Actually, I have had this conversation endlessly with a car fanatic mate of mine, we have similar cars, his with 7-speed paddle change dual clutch, mine is 6 speed manual.  He tries to insult me, claiming I'm 'old school'.  This fails to insult me because I consider myself to be 'old school' with respect to cars.  How old school?  My last car was Australian!  (I quite like my record player too)  It's a personal preference thing, some of the newer double clutch gearboxes are stunningly good and I have no issues with folk who like them, or automatics, or diesels, or going by bus, it's just not something I'd want myself.

This is completely off topic but who cares. An Australian car? Question number one: What car? Question number two: Why? Only bogans drive Australian cars and you don't strike me as a bogan.

I am most certainly not a Bogan!  Well, maybe just a little bit of a Bogan when it comes to cars.......

The car was a Monaro.  They were briefly imported into the UK by GM under the 'Vauxhall' banner.  Mine was a very lovely Monaro VXR Special Edition, similar to the Holden Monaro GTO.  So why did I buy such a thing?  I just happen to like manual transmission real wheel drive cars with engines with more than four cylinders.  In the UK now the vast majority of cars with six or eight cylinder engines are automatic only, so the choice is very limited.  This lack of supply can lead to non-Bogans occasionally buying Bogan cars.

Keeping this on topic, the stereo in the Monaro was not that good to be honest.  Even worse, being a limited numbers import they do not need UK type approval so you do get a 100% Australian spec car, with an Australian spec stereo.  This might sound like a small thing, but not having the UK's FM radio RDS system is something you really miss when it's gone, not that a Bogan would worry about that kind of thing.

(N.B.  I had to google 'Bogan', and no, I'm definitely not one)
You've got a Monaro (fancy Commodore), you're a Bogan  Big Grin

My wife would have looooooooooooooooooooooooooved to have a Monaro, she's a real petrol head  Tongue
1000Pro (Matte Black), Lenehan Audio ML5 Reference's, FoilTek Speaker Cable's, Paradigm Sub1, Entreq Poseidon, Antipodes CX, Roon (Lifetime), Curious Cable USB, Aqvox Switch, Gigawatt PC-3 Evo Se, Mad Scientist Link Cable (RCA/AES), PSC Power Cords

Australia (Perth)