Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Right / Left speaker confusion
Maybe it's just me but I find the phantom stereo installation process confusing when it comes to choosing which speaker is right or left. Normally the Right speaker is the one placed on the right of the listener when FACING the speaker. But this does not seem to be the case when you do the phantom set up: if the position of the small listening chair on the screen is accurate then the opposite is true. I don't have a test cd with me, suggestions appreciated!
I just swapped right and left speaker in the setup... Early impression are positive, less booming bass, sound more in phase and coherent. But this might just be an impression. Anyone here who has insights to share on this?
The chair is just an icon for the living room, it has nothing to do with the orientation of the speakers. If you choose kitchen as the name of the room the icon is a chef hat.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(09-Apr-2016, 20:04)ragwo Wrote: The chair is just an icon for the living room, it has nothing to do with the orientation of the speakers. If you choose kitchen as the name of the room the icon is a chef hat.

Ok. But do you set it up following the Hifi convention (right speaker is the one on the right when you look from the listening position) or the other way around?
Yes, right is the one on the right side, seen from the listening position.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
You can easily confirm left-right cofiguration with a Audio Test-CD e.g. a search for "Audio Test CD" in Spotify or Qobuz returns you one with plenty of announced left or right channel sine tones. The particular one is in German. "linker Kanal" means left channel and "rechter Kanal" means right channel.
With me left and right are correct as in Hifi definition.
I always use my XLO Test & Burn-In CD for testing channels and imaging. http://amzn.com/B0000015AL

You can also use this web site : http://www.testmyspeakers.com/
Current: Phantom Silvers, Oppo 105D (Toslink), Raspberry Pi + Digi+, ROON
Pre-Phantom: PenAudio Rebel2, Nuforce MCH-2C5, Oppo 105D (Analog)
(09-Apr-2016, 21:28)GTX Wrote:
(09-Apr-2016, 20:04)ragwo Wrote: The chair is just an icon for the living room, it has nothing to do with the orientation of the speakers. If you choose kitchen as the name of the room the icon is a chef hat.

Ok. But do you set it up following the Hifi convention (right speaker is the one on the right when you look from the listening position) or the other way around?

When you swipe in the setup menu. You can here a sound from the left and right phantom. And then it is 100% oke
And Yes it must be seen from the listening position