Hi,

My system consists of:
- Devialet 250
- Vivid Audio v1.5 Speakers
- Audioquest CV 8 speaker Cable
- Audioquest NRG 5 power Cable on the Devialet
- Audioquest Diamond Ethernet between Time Capsule (Router) and Devialet
- Macbook Pro streaming Itunes, Qobuz, etc wireless to my Time Capsule

What would be the most sensible upgrade in your opinion when trying to improve sound quality (not planning to upgrade the Devialet or speakers any time soon).
- Cabling (power cords / speaker cable)?
- Power Regenerator like the PS Audio Power Plant? I don't have a dedicated spur and getting one is difficult in my living situation. Would getting better wall outlets help me in any way or is this a waste of money when not getting a dedicated spur?
- Grounding with Entreq products?
- Adding a streamer like an Aurender X100 or a Totaldac server?

All advice is welcome

Rob

(02-Dec-2014, 12:26)Rob35 Wrote: Hi,

My system consists of:
- Devialet 250

What would be the most sensible upgrade in your opinion when trying to improve sound quality (not planning to upgrade the Devialet or speakers any time soon).
- Power Regenerator like the PS Audio Power Plant? I don't have a dedicated spur and getting one is difficult in my living situation. Would getting better wall outlets help me in any way or is this a waste of money when not getting a dedicated spur?

All advice is welcome

Rob
Thanks for sharing also it would be great to post a photo of your system as well.

For upgrades, the rule of thumb is to try/test and see what brings more pleasure to your own personal experience

Having said that, playing on the power source side seems to have quiet an impact, albeit a very subjective one. But it is worth to try power harmonizes / regeneration in your system

For Streamers / bridges like Totaldac (tested and tried by many members on the forum here) or Aurender (on this one I speak from personal experience) they bring significant sound quality improvement over computer playback or Wifi streaming. Again hearing is believing Smile

Also they offer the element of convenience and ease of use, with Aurender for example you get rid of your computer and your NAS and its app works perfectly well.

I guess system upgrades are part of the hobby and joy of the journey so go ahead and embark on it as long as you pick and choose what makes sense for you and appeals to your ears and maybe eyes as well Smile

Cheers
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
(02-Dec-2014, 12:26)Rob35 Wrote: Hi,

My system consists of:
- Devialet 250

All advice is welcome

Rob

Welcome...

In my case, the order of importance would be:
0. Second Devialet Cool
1. Decent source. Either spend on a dedicated/optimised pc solution or if you have the means, something like the Totaldac Server... If you go with PC, dont use it for anything else, and connect with direct ethernet.
2. Power line upgrades. Includes power cables, conditioning, dedicated line.
2.5 Entreq
3. Speaker cables.

This is a looong (and sometimes expensive) journey. Enjoy !!!

Kunter
Kii Three, dCS Network Bridge, Roon Nucleus, Kuzma (Stabi S, 4Point), Soundsmith StrainGauge, Stromtank, Echole Cables 
Istanbul, Turkey
I would fully agree with Kunter although I have no personal experience with both the Entreq devices and the dual mono Devialet setup so I can't "rate these". Also I would like to add 'acoustics and optimizing loudspeaker/listening position' up to the highest position on top of the list.

0. Acoustics and optimizing speaker/listening position
1. Decent source. Either spend on a dedicated/optimised pc solution or if you have the means, something like the Totaldac Server... If you go with PC, dont use it for anything else, and connect with direct ethernet.
2. Power line upgrades. Includes power cables, conditioning, dedicated line.
3. Speaker cables.

edit: and of course I don't know anything about your acoustics, these already could be alright but I do find that your loudspeakers are spaced rather far apart, into the corners, because of the wide furniture in between. It does look really good though! Smile
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Is this a white Devialet?! or is the reflection of the polished surface playing tricks and reflecting the white color of the furniture?
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
(02-Dec-2014, 18:30)amabrok Wrote: Is this a white Devialet?! or is the reflection of the polished surface playing tricks and reflecting the white color of the furniture?

Yes, it's a white one. Bought it as a d-premier when for a short period you had a few finishing options (matt black/matt white, etc).

Thanks for the replies thus far. Speaker positioning is not ideal but luckily my speakers aren't extremely sensitive to placement. I haven't done much with acoustics except placing a rug on the floor, what else can be done? I haven't seriously considered upgrading to a 800. Is it that beneficial? And do all speakers profit from it, even 2-way speakers?
Mains conditioning isn't really my hobby so i'm seriously considering buying a streamer as a first or second step. Is USB the best way to connect a streamer to the 250?
(02-Dec-2014, 19:15)Rob35 Wrote: I haven't seriously considered upgrading to a 800. Is it that beneficial? And do all speakers profit from it, even 2-way speakers?
Mains conditioning isn't really my hobby so i'm seriously considering buying a streamer as a first or second step. Is USB the best way to connect a streamer to the 250?

Yes it is beneficial. You should experience yourself...

And there is not "best way". Depends heavily on the implementation of the streamer... Again, trial is your best option. But make sure to try with "adequate" cables. Even a very good implementation will suffer bad cabling...

Cheers.
Kii Three, dCS Network Bridge, Roon Nucleus, Kuzma (Stabi S, 4Point), Soundsmith StrainGauge, Stromtank, Echole Cables 
Istanbul, Turkey
Hi Rob

Great set up! I really like the V1.5.......superb speaker and your matt finish looks wonderful! I've spent a lot of time with them though now have the B1. I might seem controversial here but after spending a few days with the dual mono 400 option I decided to stick with the stereo 200 version. I subsequently tried the Entreq ground boxes and got a far bigger 'result' with the Silver Minimus on the router and then a yet better difference with a Silver Tellus on the Devialet than I ever did with the dual mono........Also without wishing to be at all critical, your speakers seem to be very much in the corners - have you tried them out further into the room? This can have quite a positive impact. As for sources I just use a Macbook pro with Air (wifi) though I do also use Dirac.

Hope this helps and adds something to the sound advice previous respondees have given.
What a stunningly gorgeous room. Love it!!!
Wow, I love this setup. The Dev fits into the room design, and the speakers are beautiful and unobtrusive. Not a cable in sight. Well done!
220 Pro CI - B&W 804 D3  - B&W DB3D - Siltech Explorer - Mac Mini (2018/SSD) - AudioQuest Pearl USB & Ethernet - Sennheiser HDV 820 & HD-800S - Roon (Lifetime) - Tidal HiFi
New York, NY