Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Room correction
Aha, that explains it.
I once thought about offline convolution, but decided it would be too much hassle. My listening room changes (wife moving things around...) so I create new measurements. Easier to use a real time convolver.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
true, but that is limiting you to the not so highend players like foobar or jriver. Minimserver with jplaystreamer easiliy beats that. And Bug Head is even better, but with a horrible user interface. And you need some patience...
My collection currently contains about 1300 CD's and Highres. The offline conversion takes about 15 hours on my i5 CPU. As I'm not doing that frequently (maybe once per year if something major has been changed) this is ok for me.
I use Roon at the moment. Works very nicely. I own both Jplay and JRiver, but have not used them for a long time. The most stable playback I had was LMS/BrutefirDRC and iPeng, but Roon sounds (much) better and has almost the same stability. After iPeng I find it very difficult to go down in quality of remote control - even Roon is lacking in elegance and simplicity compared to iPeng.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
(11-Jun-2017, 22:19)ogs Wrote: I use Roon at the moment. Works very nicely. I own both Jplay and JRiver, but have not used them for a long time. The most stable playback I had was LMS/BrutefirDRC and iPeng, but Roon sounds (much) better and has almost the same stability. After iPeng I find it very difficult to go down in quality of remote control - even Roon is lacking in elegance and simplicity compared to iPeng.

I used iPeng for years and became quite enamored by its UI... BUT, IMO it doesn't hold a candle to what Roon provides overall (of course, it doesn't strive to do all of what Roon does either).     Yes, there are a few things in the LMS/iPeng subsystem that works better and I do believe that had Logitech not bailed, it may have ultimately come close to what Roon is now.  But the LMS/iPeng ship has sailed (or more like dry docked ;-) while Roon is growing and improving substantially every day.   I can't imagine going back.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
(12-Jun-2017, 02:09)mdconnelly Wrote: I used iPeng for years and became quite enamored by its UI... BUT, IMO it doesn't hold a candle to what Roon provides overall (of course, it doesn't strive to do all of what Roon does either).     Yes, there are a few things in the LMS/iPeng subsystem that works better and I do believe that had Logitech not bailed, it may have ultimately come close to what Roon is now.  But the LMS/iPeng ship has sailed (or more like dry docked ;-) while Roon is growing and improving substantially every day.   I can't imagine going back.

I guess iPeng in general displayed the information LMS provided. For me Roon has more than enough to display, but it's remote control UI is not as well behaved as iPeng. I would also like to turn off many of the UI elements like stars, heart, play count and have bigger cover art to make it look the way I want it. At the moment somebody else is deciding..., but I agree with you - Roon is much better than LMS and I would not go back
Devialetless!
(08-Jun-2017, 20:29)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(08-Jun-2017, 20:19)JohnnySix Wrote: I don't think it's a good idea to iron out every peak & trough until it lies right on the target curve - some leeway must be allowed to allow them to "ride" the room's natural ebbs and flows, to keep it natural. (Ooooh, listen to me.)

I don't agree with that personally. Leaving anything the room adds that can successfully be corrected defeats the point of doing it in my opinion. I don't feel there's a negative effect to removing everything that can be removed. Filling troughs is the hardest ones to judge and they should generally be left alone -especially in the low frequencies.

Obviously a lot of this is personal preference and Room/speaker dependent. The important thing is you end up with a sound you like and one that's better than you had uncorrected. I've certainly got that now, but there's always room to tweak/improve.

Yes, the troughs are indeed the most troublesome, so if you don't do something about filling them in, then you end up with an overall deficit in the bass. That's probably why I don't like to subtract all the amplitude from the resonant peaks.
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
With your experience about room correction, what would be your advice to use it with AIR, and 25% local hires files and 75% Qobuz streaming ?

I saw a post talking mainly about Dirac/Roon but I do not want to go Tidal now. It seems Qobuz integration is a roadblock...

Also I have to renew my laptop and I'm ready to move from PC to Mac if it makes sense.

Many thanks for your feedbacks.
B&W 805d - Athom Zef Max - Devialet D200 - AIR Ethernet - Roon ROCK (NUC8i3BEH + LPSU100) - Qobuz

- FR -
Google made a speaker with room correction...

https://youtu.be/FSemuvCOSgE

Devialet still don’t propose this feature...
Even LG has room corrections in theirs TV
Room cottection isn‘t equal. A good room correction is difficult. Be patient!!!!!!