Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Room size and speakers
Is there some kind of "guideline" for how big a room should be before it is to big for a speaker?
My room is 4 meters wide by 6 meters long, both the Kef Ref 1 & Kef Ref 3 are within my budget.
So which one should be best for me? In both cases they will be powered by the Devialet 200.
The reason why I ask this here is because a lot of people have more experience then me in this area.
I live in Belgium and here you never have the option to take something home for auditioning. Sad
That is quite a reasonable sized room. If you want to listen loud you will need an efficient pair of speakers.
There is no hard rule since speakers vary hugely in sensitivity, but small speakers are always low sensitivity and big ones almost almost always higher sensitivity. The Ref 3 is 2.5dB louder for the same power than the Ref 1.
The Ref 1 has the same specified sensitivity as the LS50. I have a pair of LS50s and I think I may find them on the limit in a room of 4x6 but I like to listen to orchestral music at typical auditorium loudness, which is quite a lot louder than most people listen.
Also the Ref 3 should work before SAM correction limits bass output to at least 3dB louder than the Ref 1, since it has 2 of the same bass units.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

I have 2 adjoining rooms of 3.6m x 3.6m so only a tad smaller than your. I'm running my D200 into Dynaudio C1's but if I had the space I would definitely get the C2's. If the difference between Ref 1 and Ref 3 is as big as between C1 and C2 then you want to go for the Ref 3 for sure.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.