Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Room treatments
So ive just finished moving my set up into the theatre. i wanted to treat the room so i ordered a basic Primacoustic kit.

Admittedly, i dont expect this to do much sub 200hz - im going to need more expensive (read - better) bass traps for that. i have before measurements of the room but not after - will post that all later though. figured i would get some photos of the room treatments up.

[Image: 1zl7lgw.jpg]

[Image: vncdol.jpg]

[Image: 296k9pl.jpg]

[Image: 2lk2s76.jpg]
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
So i was playing around with some speaker positioning tonight.

i was only testing low frequencies at this point.

The first photo i attach was my first test. ive now set my 2 subs to mono instead of left and right. in this test for some reason the left sub was still left channel only and not mono and you can see the result.

[Image: s5d5xj.jpg]

The second one was after i fixed the config file. you can see there is now a good continuity in the lower frequencies

[Image: 2uixi03.jpg]

After that i switched my speakers and subs around - the speakers were in front of the projector screen :/

[Image: kcatqf.jpg]

and then i took measurements again.

The lower frequencies 40 - 80 are still ok, but the 100 - 400 range seem to suffer a bit from the move. unfortunately theres nothing i can do about that - damn screen.

[Image: 2mr8jsj.jpg]

Now ive chosen very specific spots for my subwoofers. i used the calculator from this page and followed the guide:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-audio-t...ement.html

It calculates at what frequency the room modes are at in your room from the dimensions of your room (every single one of us has room modes) and from that you can figure out speaker placement to beat those modes.

compared to the bass response i used to get in my old room (unmeasured sub positions) this is a LOT smoother. the only frequency i cant contain is that big 20hz peak.
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
Very interesting! Thanks for posting, I have a pair of Stillpoint Apertures I am trying out in my system. Unfortunately another week or so till the new speakers arrive. At some point there after I intend to run some measurements as well, as the measurement mike is here but not yet used.
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
i think everyone would be surprised if they ran the basic tests on their systems.

im fighting with the configurator at the moment.

im trying to write a how to with photos to show everyone how to work out the delay between the left and right channel but the delay function doesnt seem to work properly.. or more like i can set a delay on one channel, but not on the other. so im going to fight with the setup and hopefully i can put something together.
(26-Aug-2015, 09:19)completeluxury Wrote: i think everyone would be surprised if they ran the basic tests on their systems.

im trying to write a how to with photos to show everyone how to work out the delay between the left and right channel but the delay function doesnt seem to work properly.. or more like i can set a delay on one channel, but not on the other. so im going to fight with the setup and hopefully i can put something together.

I'm not sure if yolu're including your subs in there but if you're just setting a delay for your speakers, one should suffice. Only one speaker can be 'ahead' of the other.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(26-Aug-2015, 09:35)Pim van Vliet Wrote:
(26-Aug-2015, 09:19)completeluxury Wrote: i think everyone would be surprised if they ran the basic tests on their systems.

I'm not sure if yolu're including your subs in there but if you're just setting a delay for your speakers, one should suffice. Only one speaker can be 'ahead' of the other.

haha but what if the speaker that the delay DOESNT work on is the one that i actually need to delay? hence my dilemma.
also,

some sub guides actually tell you to delay your left/right channel by around 12ms, then use the phase dial on the subs to correct the time perfectly between the 2. in that instance you would definitely need both channels to be able to delay properly.
can you not insert negative delay values ?
(28-Aug-2015, 21:23)krass Wrote: can you not insert negative delay values ?

...that would be speeding up. I'm sure it's possible but you'll need a DeLorean, a long pole, some cable and perfect timing to catch the lightning strike. Tongue
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
cant we use a train like in the movies?