Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Roon 1.7 and MQA device setting
With update 1.7 I discovered that my Devialet 220 settings had changed: previously, under device set-up, I had ticked off “No MQA Support.” With the update, I discovered that setting had changed to “Renderer Only,” which is incorrect. I changed it back, of course.  You may wish to check your settings.
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
What are the consequence of either setting?
(24-Nov-2019, 10:03)markush Wrote: What are the consequence of either setting?
If you tell Roon that the Devialet DAC can render, your device will not perform the first unfold of the MQA file via the Roon software.  Yes, it will play but it will not play correctly.
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
(24-Nov-2019, 13:41)Flashman Wrote:
If you tell Roon that the Devialet DAC can render, your device will not perform the first unfold of the MQA file via the Roon software.  Yes, it will play but it will not play correctly.
Good advise-
I´ll check.
Thanks.
Mac mini with Roon, Devialet 220 Pro CI, Black Sixteen speaker cables, Sonus Faber Guarneri Tradition and a pair of ears.
(26-Nov-2019, 12:41)BoyScout Wrote:
(24-Nov-2019, 13:41)Flashman Wrote:
Good advise-
I´ll check.
Thanks.
Easy way to check is to play a file with the Devialet identified as being able to render an MQA file.  Check your signal path on Roon.  Then, tell Roon that the Devialet does not have MQA support and use Roon to perform the first unfold.  For this to occur, you need to check "yes" in the Devialet's advanced settings on Roon for "Enable MQA Core Decoder."  Now, check your signal path on Roon.  You'll see -- and hear, hopefully -- the difference.
(26-Nov-2019, 14:35)Flashman Wrote:
(26-Nov-2019, 12:41)BoyScout Wrote:
(24-Nov-2019, 13:41)Flashman Wrote: If you tell Roon that the Devialet DAC can render, your device will not perform the first unfold of the MQA file via the Roon software.  Yes, it will play but it will not play correctly.
Good advise-
I´ll check.
Thanks.
Easy way to check is to play a file with the Devialet identified as being able to render an MQA file.  Check your signal path on Roon.  Then, tell Roon that the Devialet does not have MQA support and use Roon to perform the first unfold.  For this to occur, you need to check "yes" in the Devialet's advanced settings on Roon for "Enable MQA Core Decoder."  Now, check your signal path on Roon.  You'll see -- and hear, hopefully -- the difference.
Hi Flashman, me again.
In the my signal path on roon it´s "MQA Core Decoder" it means that´s fine, right?
Mac mini with Roon, Devialet 220 Pro CI, Black Sixteen speaker cables, Sonus Faber Guarneri Tradition and a pair of ears.
(30-Nov-2019, 13:57)BoyScout Wrote:
(26-Nov-2019, 14:35)Flashman Wrote:
(26-Nov-2019, 12:41)BoyScout Wrote: Good advise-
I´ll check.
Thanks.
Hi Flashman, me again.
In the my signal path on roon it´s "MQA Core Decoder" it means that´s fine, right?
Yes, that's it!
Has there been a new color coding for the various steps in the signal path? Meaning those “stars”
(30-Nov-2019, 18:24)markush Wrote: Has there been a new color coding for the various steps in the signal path? Meaning those “stars”

I haven't seen any mention of a change in the colour coding and I haven't noticed one either.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
See the different colors next to the signal path / elements
https://pasteboard.co/IJ9uCec.png