Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't launch Devialet AIR
I was able to load Devialet AIR 3.04 on my windows 10 machine.  However, it fails to open. so can't use it to stream to my 220 Pro.

I was able to get Foobar 2000 to connect via UPnP.  Noticed the sound quality was OK, but not as good as playing a standard CD.

Been looking at getting Qoboz streaming service, as it seems the best quality overall.  Some questions:

1) Why are people using Roon together with Qoboz?  (Better sound quality?)
2) Can you use Qoboz via UPnP to the 220 Pro?  Any issues with sound quality?
3) What is going on with Devialet Air?  Why doesn't the application launch?
4) Is the sound quality better via usb/ethernet over wireless?  Recently learned that if a ethernet cable is installed, then wireless is disabled?

Up until now, have stayed away from streaming with Devialet.  My other machine is a D-Premier, which does have the Air card.  Haven't used it for streaming music, as I couldn't get the !@$$!@ Air app to work. However, now that I've got the 220 Pro, decided to at least get this working.  

BTW, I do love the sound from the 220 Pro.  It's a step up from the D-Premier.  

Looking for some guidance from you boffins out there.  Huh
1, ATC SCM 40 V2 speakers,  SVS PC4000 subwoofer,  Devialet Expert Pro 1000, ,  Ultrasone Edition 15, Ultrasone Edition 15 Veritas,  ,Chord Hugo TT, Magnetar UBR-800, GeerFab DBoB, OTL Headphone amp

2. Dynaudio Focus 360 , Devialet Expert Pro 220, Reavon UBR X-110, GeerFab DBoB
I cannot speak to UPnP, but here's my take on the other questions...

One of the main reasons I signed up for Roon 6 years ago was because I was so frustrated with Devialet AIR and Roon's implementation of AIR is flawless with no need for Windows or Mac drivers to be installed. I haven't attempted to use the Devialet AIR driver in a long time but I doubt that Devialet has ever fully debugged it. Others may have more insight.

I use Qobuz with Roon because I also have a large personal library so the combination in Roon is ideal. I love the Roon UI and library concept and I love the integration of Qobuz (or Tidal) within Roon alongside my personal library. Even if I didn't have a personal library and only streamed from Qobuz, I'd still consider doing so with Roon because of the tight integration and ability to stream to mulitple endpoints within my home. And, of course, Roon's implementation of AIR and the fact that the Devialet firmware now supports Roon RAAT.

Yes, I believe that with the Expert Pro CI, if you use ethernet, then the wifi is disabled. I've tried both and hear no difference between wifi and Ethernet although in my home, ethernet cabling is far more stable. Using Roon RAAT (instead of AIR) does offer additional benefits like streaming to multiple endpoints concurrently. Of course, you could do that to both your 220 & your D-Premier via AIR. My other endpoints are not Devialet but do support Roon RAAT. But you may or may not have issues if you stream hi-res music over gigabit ethernet to your 220 Pro via Roon RAAT. Some have stuttering issues, others do not. There is a long thread here about that issue if/when you run into it. That, however, does not occur via AIR.

Good luck!
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
Just as a sanity check, by "fail to open", do you mean you have the Devialet icon on the TaskBar but right-or-left clicking on the icon doesn't do anything? (beware of the icon disappearing into the "hidden" icons cluster).
And do you also mean that Devialet Air is not available as an audio output device anywhere?
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
Yes, when clicking on Devialet Air, no window is launched/displayed. Devialet Air is available as an audio output device from Windows settings.

I did get UPnP to work from Foobar 2000. Whilst it sounds OK, the best sound I've been able to get so far from the computer is via USB to a Chord M-Scaler, out to the 220 Pro via XLR.
1, ATC SCM 40 V2 speakers,  SVS PC4000 subwoofer,  Devialet Expert Pro 1000, ,  Ultrasone Edition 15, Ultrasone Edition 15 Veritas,  ,Chord Hugo TT, Magnetar UBR-800, GeerFab DBoB, OTL Headphone amp

2. Dynaudio Focus 360 , Devialet Expert Pro 220, Reavon UBR X-110, GeerFab DBoB