Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roon RAAT for Expert Pro
Pim

Devialet up-to-update as usual (it's still shown on their website under Core Infinity)
1000Pro (Matte Black), Lenehan Audio ML5 Reference's, FoilTek Speaker Cable's, Paradigm Sub1, Entreq Poseidon, Antipodes CX, Roon (Lifetime), Curious Cable USB, Aqvox Switch, Gigawatt PC-3 Evo Se, Mad Scientist Link Cable (RCA/AES), PSC Power Cords

Australia (Perth)
(23-Dec-2018, 11:40)Celts88 Wrote: Pim

Devialet up-to-update as usual (it's still shown on their website under Core Infinity)

LOL! Why am I not surprised?
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
MQA listed on Devialet's website?  I found this hard to believe, but after a quick check, yes, it is there:

Native integration of our exclusive Devialet AIR technology with Roon means you can now enjoy the world’s most advanced audiophile player with Expert Pro.
Roon provides a radically superior experience in terms of music discovery, library management and audio playback:
- an experience developed by and for consummate music and audio lovers
- a highly intuitive and responsive user interface on desktop, laptop, tablet or smartphone
- a detailed display of the sound quality over the entire signal path, to ensure the output signal is in bit-perfect mode
- Ultra-HD signal processing (room correction, EQ, headroom management, etc.)
- MQA, TIDAL and web radio compatibility
- and much more…
With the integration of RAAT (Roon Advanced Audio Transport) to Devialet OS in progress, you’ll soon be able to stream in multiroom and bit-perfect mode between your Expert Pro and any other Roon Ready devices.

I am quite glad I checked this, because I see that Devialet are also doing web radio, that would be great.  I wonder if that is coming soon too?  (I connected an old Cambridge Audio DAB radio to my Devialet yesterday using Toslink, I was actually quite surprised at how bad it sounded, so web radio would be lovely)

Then it occurred to me, all the above relates to Roon.  Roon has web radio, Roon can offer the first MQA unfold via the Tidal integration, and all the rest of it.  So for once, the Temple of truth is actually accurate.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Well, yes, that description is accurate, but not until Devialet delivers on Roon RAAT.

The other thing I'd really like to see soon is the replacement of the online configurator with an on-board configurator. There was a lot of talk about it with the initial CI integration and then... nothing.

After 3 years of owning a Devialet Expert, I'm really not surprised at the delay and total lack of communication. But that doesn't mean I'm not disappointed.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
Confused quoted "- MQA, TIDAL and web radio compatibility" and that begs the question of what "compatibility" means. MQA encoded material plays on devices that don't have any form of MAQ capability so it can be argued that Devialet devices are already "MQA compatible". That highlights the big problem of releasing product which is only partially functional at the release date with further functionality promised down the road. No one has any idea of what this statement really means until it is delivered on and then we're likely to start hearing complaints that what is delivered isn't what is promised when exactly what was promised anyway was never clear.

I'll put a different spin on the lack of info or apparent action on delivering all of those things. Early this year I remember Devialet stating that RAAT was their first priority for future CI board features. If they meant that statement then what that probably meant was that RAAT was the next thing which would be delivered because delivering on something else before RAAT would indicate that whatever was delivered first was the first priority, not RAAT. On that basis I haven't been expecting to see or hear other things before the RAAT update.

I'll also note that the statement Confused quoted had MQA and Tidal in the one "promise" and Tidal is the main source of MQA content at present so perhaps delivery on MQA is dependent on delivery of Tidal, whatever both of those promises mean. Is Devialet considering some sort of deal with Tidal which results in Tidal delivering an app which streams to the Devialet something like Roon currently does using Devialet's AIR protocol or is Devialet planning to come up with its own interface for accessing Tidal? They've also promised an improved remote control app which would work for both the Experts and the Phantoms, and an app which controls the original Phantoms and the new Reaktors. The odds are that that's one app for all 3 product lines and an app has been promised for sometime in the first half of 2019 so perhaps we'll see that app include a Tidal interface. There's probably going to have to be a FW update to work with the new app and they could roll out first unfold MQA capability in that FW release but I do remember seeing a statement that second unfold MQA capability wasn't on the cards because it caused problems with Devialet's ADH technology. My bet on "MQA compatibility" is that it doesn't extend to anything past first unfold capability but we don't know because Devialet have never stated what they meant by that and I have a sneaking suspicion that it means different things to some people here than it did to Devialet when they wrote that statement.

Now if they had had all of these things ready to go when they released the CI board we wouldn't be arguing about what we are going to get and when we are going to get it, but we also wouldn't have the CI board yet and that wouldn't be sitting well with anyone given the promises made about the CI board when they introduced the Expert Pro line. All of this mess and confusion comes from introducing products which are intended to deliver more than they can deliver on release but that seems to be as much a Devialet trait as failing to meet their stated time line for feature releases.

I use Roon so I already have first unfold MQA and Tidal functionality built into Roon so I'm not really worried about their timeline or lack of info for whatever they're doing in relation to those things but I can understand people who don't use Roon being upset about progress. I'd just like to see the RAAT update delivered quickly and I'm annoyed at the failure to deliver on that in accordance with their promised time frame.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
(23-Dec-2018, 13:05)Confused Wrote: MQA listed on Devialet's website?  I found this hard to believe, but after a quick check, yes, it is there:

Native integration of our exclusive Devialet AIR technology with Roon means you can now enjoy the world’s most advanced audiophile player with Expert Pro.
Roon provides a radically superior experience in terms of music discovery, library management and audio playback:
- an experience developed by and for consummate music and audio lovers
- a highly intuitive and responsive user interface on desktop, laptop, tablet or smartphone
- a detailed display of the sound quality over the entire signal path, to ensure the output signal is in bit-perfect mode
- Ultra-HD signal processing (room correction, EQ, headroom management, etc.)
- MQA, TIDAL and web radio compatibility
- and much more…
With the integration of RAAT (Roon Advanced Audio Transport) to Devialet OS in progress, you’ll soon be able to stream in multiroom and bit-perfect mode between your Expert Pro and any other Roon Ready devices.

I am quite glad I checked this, because I see that Devialet are also doing web radio, that would be great.  I wonder if that is coming soon too?  (I connected an old Cambridge Audio DAB radio to my Devialet yesterday using Toslink, I was actually quite surprised at how bad it sounded, so web radio would be lovely)

Then it occurred to me, all the above relates to Roon.  Roon has web radio, Roon can offer the first MQA unfold via the Tidal integration, and all the rest of it.  So for once, the Temple of truth is actually accurate.

Yup, seems like it’s just pasting Roons feature list, and although it is fairly clearly that - it also implies a bit that by having AIR incorporated into Roon, Devialet ‘offer’ those features. None of which relates to the CI specifically. And in fact doesn’t really even relate to Devialet AIR since you can get all those Roon features just by using Roon, and Roon is a paid service.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

You're right. I missed the point that all of those things listed actually related to Roon which makes the 3rd paragraph in my post above wrong and irrelevant. I think the rest of my comment holds up, however and Devialet's big problem is releasing products without full functionality enabled which makes it impossible to really know what the promised functionality actually means to the user in practice until it gets delivered.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
I don’t remember exactly but there’s already a thread about the never be MQA with Devialet CI board integration. Too bad but since I feed my D’s with a Lumin streaming and MQA are flawless with superior SQ than I ever have. Full integration of everything Audiophile wishes is myth that most us want to believe. Enjoy your D.
System 1 : D800, Piega Classic 80.2, Lumin A1, NUC/Wintel +SSD, Roon lifetime Qobuz sublissime Tidal Hifi subscription 
System 2 : D400, JM Reynaud Cantabile Sublime, Roon.
France