Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roon - basic newbie question on connection
Hi all,

I thought I ought to give this Roon thing a go having been mainly in Tidal and Spotify so far on streaming. I'm thinking of getting an Innuos in time but seems to make sense to make use of the Pro facilities to be able to use Tidal via Roon.

I have an Expert Pro 440 which I understand can act as a Roon core and it's connected to Wifi (I have Spotify direct working).

So I've downloaded the Roon app onto my iphone and ipad to use as the Roon remote. When I open either up I just get the "looking for your Roon core" message with nothing being found. I've tried rebooting the router. I've tried the Help option in Roon where you can enter the direct IP address of the Dev which I also did to no avail.

My intention was to be able to use Roon on the ipad using Tidal and then to Roon core on the Dev, without having to have to buy more kit.

Any guidance please on what to try next?

Many thanks,
Jonathan
You must install the Roon Core server on PC/Mac. You will need your phone / tablet only as remote control.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk
First, some Roon terminology:

Roon Core is basically a server application that runs on a computer connected to the same network as a Roon Endpoint which it serves the music too. Your 440 is a Roon endpoint and cannot run the Roon Core software. You would need to run the Roon Core software on a computer or a server such as the Innuos you mentioned, an Intel NUC you set up to act as a server, or a Roon Nucleus or a similar device.

The Roon Remote application you downloaded for your iPad allows you to control the Roon Core application. Without the Roon Core application running somewhere, the Roon Remote app on your iPad does nothing. It's completely useless if you don't have the Roon Core software running on a device somewhere on your network.

Now the bad news: you have to pay a subscription to run the Roon Core software. I don't know where you are located but here in Australia the Roon subscription is more expensive than my Tidal subscription. If all you want to do with Roon is to stream music from Tidal to your 440, it's an expensive way to do that. You'll get a nice interface and a fair bit of info about some of the music you stream but it's an expensive way to stream Tidal.

Roon is server software. It's basic purpose is to stream music from a drive somewhere on your network to a music system. Its ability to stream Tidal and Qobuz are basically add on extras, not its main purpose.

I use Roon and I stream music from Tidal using Roon, but my main use of Roon is to stream music from files on a drive in my Roon Nucleus+. I think Roon is great software and I would recommend it to anyone who wanted a good server app to stream music from a drive on their network but I would not recommend it to someone who just wanted to stream music from Tidal. It's not that Roon will not do that task well, is's simply that using Roon just to stream Tidal is a very expensive way to get Tidal to your 440, even more expensive than getting Tidal in the first place.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
(09-Feb-2020, 20:58)David A Wrote: First, some Roon terminology:

Roon Core is basically a server application that runs on a computer connected to the same network as a Roon Endpoint which it serves the music too. Your 440 is a Roon endpoint and cannot run the Roon Core software. You would need to run the Roon Core software on a computer or a server such as the Innuos you mentioned, an Intel NUC you set up to act as a server, or a Roon Nucleus or a similar device.

The Roon Remote application you downloaded for your iPad allows you to control the Roon Core application. Without the Roon Core application running somewhere, the Roon Remote app on your iPad does nothing. It's completely useless if you don't have the Roon Core software running on a device somewhere on your network.

Now the bad news: you have to pay a subscription to run the Roon Core software. I don't know where you are located but here in Australia the Roon subscription is more expensive than my Tidal subscription. If all you want to do with Roon is to stream music from Tidal to your 440, it's an expensive way to do that. You'll get a nice interface and a fair bit of info about some of the music you stream but it's an expensive way to stream Tidal.

Roon is server software. It's basic purpose is to stream music from a drive somewhere on your network to a music system. Its ability to stream Tidal and Qobuz are basically add on extras, not its main purpose.

I use Roon and I stream music from Tidal using Roon, but my main use of Roon is to stream music from files on a drive in my Roon Nucleus+. I think Roon is great software and I would recommend it to anyone who wanted a good server app to stream music from a drive on their network but I would not recommend it to someone who just wanted to stream music from Tidal. It's not that Roon will not do that task well, is's simply that using Roon just to stream Tidal is a very expensive way to get Tidal to your 440, even more expensive than getting Tidal in the first place.

Thank you all and David, many thanks for your comprehensive reply - it's all a lot clearer now!

Keen to avoid hooking up a laptop so I'm off to find a secondhand/ex-demo Innuos and take it from there.

As always, many thanks to DevialetChat.

Jonathan