Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Router or Switch
Hi,

I got my Phantom yesterday. Unfortunately I wasn't able to make it play from my computer, I only had success using my mobile phone Bluetooth connection, which was not that good quality...

I don't have a router, and I thought that a switch I have at home would do the trick, but when I tried it didn't work. Sad

Do you know if we really need to use a router, or if a switch would be enough to make it work? Is anyone using a swith, or are you all using a router? Devialet says to use a router, I know, but I was just trying to save a few euros and not having to buy one... Wink
(24-Sep-2015, 10:05)karebe Wrote: If there is no DHCP server in your network than you will need one.
Thanks for your reply. That might be the reason... My internet service comes from an ethernet port at the entrance of my apartment, which is a broadband connection, like a big LAN in the entire building, so, I don't have any router. They only supply us one in case we also want phone and TV, but I don't need any of that.

I will try to install the DHCP server software as you suggested.
Hi

Just a quick question... How do you access the internet if you only have a switch?

I have a switch at home and everything is working fine...but my switch is connected to a router located in another room...

My suggestion is first to start from scratch...
Unplug everything including the switch, the pc or laptop etc...
Plug the switch back to the main and wait 2min..
Start the PC and check if you can connect to the Internet ...

Then connect the phantom to the switch using a network cable...
Start start app from your pc and run the setup...

When completed..add a folder from your PC from the setting menu in spark...

And you should be able to play...

Hope the above helps...
 Angenet. 
  5 Silver Phantoms (2 stereo and 3 solo in 3 rooms). 4 Raspberry Pi 3b with Hifiberry digi + boards connected to four Phantoms. 1 Dialog with Airplay, Roon Lifetime Membership for perfect group play. Qobuz sublime, Tidal Hifi,  1 NAS Qnap tS-210 Pro. Location: West Yorkshire, UK.
(24-Sep-2015, 10:34)angenet Wrote: Just a quick question... How do you access the internet if you only have a switch?
I have one ethernet port at the entrance of my apartment. I ran an ethernet cable connected on that port and connect it directly to my PC. Now, with Dialog and Phantom, I thought that maybe a switch would do the trick of sharing this ethernet port, by connecting the cable to the switch and then connect my PC and Dialog to the switch.

I tried first with two computers (took my work computer home) connected to the switch and I got internet on both computers, but yesterday when I tried with Dialog it didn't work, whenever I started Spark it was always saying "waiting for network connection", or something like that...

I will try again as you said, and also with the DHCP server software suggested by karebe, even though since it worked fine with two computers maybe the DHCP server missing might not be the reason??? I will try again today and then let you know.

Thank you for all the help! Smile
(24-Sep-2015, 10:47)yesgrey Wrote:
(24-Sep-2015, 10:34)angenet Wrote: Just a quick question... How do you access the internet if you only have a switch?
I have one ethernet port at the entrance of my apartment. I ran an ethernet cable connected on that port and connect it directly to my PC. Now, with Dialog and Phantom, I thought that maybe a switch would do the trick of sharing this ethernet port, by connecting the cable to the switch and then connect my PC and Dialog to the switch.

I tried first with two computers (took my work computer home) connected to the switch and I got internet on both computers, but yesterday when I tried with Dialog it didn't work, whenever I started Spark it was always saying "waiting for network connection", or something like that...

I will try again as you said, and also with the DHCP server software suggested by karebe, even though since it worked fine with two computers maybe the DHCP server missing might not be the reason??? I will try again today and then let you know.

PC/laptop with Spark and Dialog/Phantom should also be on the same network. Perhaps you can check that too.
(24-Sep-2015, 10:47)yesgrey Wrote:

Now I understand..

if you are in a flat with share internet and got only one cable entry to your appartment.. that mean the DHCP server is located elsewhere and the administrator have given you only one IP address...if that is the case, then  the best and simplest way is to buy a router a cheap one even a used one will do... Just a simple router really... and you need to convert that router as a DHCP server.. and to do this.. you need toConnect that router to your PC and access the setting and change the router as the DHCP server ... and the router will share the internet  to all your devices... including the Phantom and this method is good as the router will be always on...

It will also be a good idea to speak to the internet provider/Network admin as tell them you have now got several devices that required intenet and network sharing...

Hope the above helps.
 Angenet. 
  5 Silver Phantoms (2 stereo and 3 solo in 3 rooms). 4 Raspberry Pi 3b with Hifiberry digi + boards connected to four Phantoms. 1 Dialog with Airplay, Roon Lifetime Membership for perfect group play. Qobuz sublime, Tidal Hifi,  1 NAS Qnap tS-210 Pro. Location: West Yorkshire, UK.
I tried yesterday with two different free DHCP server softwares and it didn't work.

I have just called to my ISP provider and he added a couple more IP adresses to my configuration, so, I will try again only with the switch later... maybe that would to the trick. Wink
Hi

It should normally work now...
It look like your isp restrict your connection to only one device...But you may need to speak to them telling them you need to be able to run at least 10 devices in your network... The switch should work...
If you in the Uk, pm me and I can post a used router ... You may pay the postage....cost...
Good luck
 Angenet. 
Unfortunately it's still not working... Sad I contacted my ISP technical support and they now have assigned 4 IP addresses to me and only two were in use, and one of them was assigned to Dialog, because I checked with Dialog's MAC address.

I'm now starting to think that the problem might no be related with not having a router... When I start Spark I don't even get the Accept general conditions!... I'm now remembering that several months ago I installed Spark just to give it a try, even without any Phantom or Dialog, so, that might be the reason for not showing up the general conditions, because I accepted them on that time. When I saw the Setup video I saw that the lady puts the hand on top of the Phantom to activate its wireless, so, maybe that's what I need to do! I thought that I had to set up some config options in Spark before touching the Phantom's top, but now I see that I might have already done that before and now it's already waiting for me to touch the Phantom when it starts...

@angenet Thank you very much for your offer, but I'm in Sweden. Anyway, I will borrow a router from a friend of mine just to see if it will work, but now I'm starting thinking that the problem might be my previous installation of Spark a while ago... Wink
Ok, it was the router... I tried with a router I borrowed from a friend and Spark started, detected Dialog and the Phantom and everything was setup nicely.

Time to order a router then. Smile

Thank you all for your help!