Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Router or Switch
I got a PCI ethernet card for free and decided to give it a try without a router again, and this time it worked fine. So, on my PC now I have two ethernet ports, one connected to the internet and with internet connection sharing enabled, and the other ethernet port is where I have Dialog connected. In addition to that, I also had to install a free DHCP server software, which is assigning the IP addresses to all equipment connected to the second ethernet port. I used thisthis one, which is very easy to setup and works great. Since my computer is my audio/video center, this solution of having it also as the router is perfect for me, and less boxes around the house... Smile

Once again, thank you all for the help. I'm a software developer, but my knowledge about all this network stuff is pretty basic... Wink
(28-Sep-2015, 13:31)karebe Wrote:
(28-Sep-2015, 13:26)yesgrey Wrote: I got a PCI ethernet card for free and decided to give it a try without a router again, and this time it worked fine. So, on my PC now I have two ethernet ports, one connected to the internet and with internet connection sharing enabled, and the other ethernet port is where I have Dialog connected. In addition to that, I also had to install a free DHCP server software, which is assigning the IP addresses to all equipment connected to the second ethernet port. I used thisthis one, which is very easy to setup and works great. Since my computer is my audio/video center, this solution of having it also as the router is perfect for me, and less boxes around the house... Smile

Once again, thank you all for the help. I'm a software developer, but my knowledge about all this network stuff is pretty basic... Wink

It was a pleasure :-)
 Angenet. 
  5 Silver Phantoms (2 stereo and 3 solo in 3 rooms). 4 Raspberry Pi 3b with Hifiberry digi + boards connected to four Phantoms. 1 Dialog with Airplay, Roon Lifetime Membership for perfect group play. Qobuz sublime, Tidal Hifi,  1 NAS Qnap tS-210 Pro. Location: West Yorkshire, UK.