Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SAM Lab coming to Oxford Audio Consultants
Any chance of a sneak preview of what speakers you've got lined up for SAMming?

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

I would have been there in a shot but I have a work meeting I can't miss ?

I guess those of us without SAM speakers must be surprised how obscure our speakers are! Looking at how many I've never heard of that are now SAM ready.

Don't suppose anyone is taking Shahinian Oblelisk 2? ?

Cherrs

Chris
thank you Alasdair
Im really chuffed...never imagined my speakers would ever get SAM'd Big Grin

*Gordy does a happy dance*
Foobar2000/Win10 ~ Devialet 440Pro ~ Tannoy Precision 6.4 ~ Auralic Taurus Mk2 ~ Sennheiser HD700
The Missing Link Cryo Reference Mains Cables / The Chord Company Silver Plus USB / Townshend Isolda Bi-Wire Speaker Cables / Townshend Isolda DCT 300 Interconnects / Quadraspire Q4 EVO Rack

The Cotswolds England
Progress report, event going well with Joachim, Antoine and Valentine from Devialet. So far The Sonus Faber Electa, Wilson Duette 2 andf the PMC Fact12 have been measured and the profiles should be ready soon.
Had my XTZ 99.36 MkII floorstander SAMLab'd at Oxford Audio today (£1.1k speakers with SEAS drivers and a ribbon tweeter). Over the moon with the results; been listening for the last 3 hrs. Bass extended one octave from 40Hz to 20Hz AND with greater control, almost eliminating their main weakness of flabby bass.
This has put them in the lead in the ongoing battle against my Phantoms (overall that is - Phantom bass still wins).

So, to that one other person somewhere in the world who owns Devialet+XTZ... You're welcome!
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
A huge thanks to the Devialet team Valentine, Joachim and Antoine and Oxford Audio's John and Alasdair for a very interesting day. I am over the moon to have my Tannoys SAM'd ...not done any serious listening with SAM yet (don't want to wake the neighbors) but as soon as the sun rises I will give them an airing to see what the benefits are... can't wait!!

Also would like to thank the guy who took his time to explain many of the speaker design principles, room acoustics etc ...really was very interesting and something that I will be spending more time exploring ...sorry I forget your name but I believe you're a 'lurker ' here Wink
Foobar2000/Win10 ~ Devialet 440Pro ~ Tannoy Precision 6.4 ~ Auralic Taurus Mk2 ~ Sennheiser HD700
The Missing Link Cryo Reference Mains Cables / The Chord Company Silver Plus USB / Townshend Isolda Bi-Wire Speaker Cables / Townshend Isolda DCT 300 Interconnects / Quadraspire Q4 EVO Rack

The Cotswolds England
Thanks to all that came along yesterday despite the roadworks. We got a lot of speakers done in the end and hopefully everyone feels like they have had a massive upgrade for a few quid spent on parking!

We have since the event discovered that the PMC Fact12 is UnSAMable due to the crossover and the profile will not be uploaded.

Confused, measurements of our Kef Blades were taken yesterday. Valentine ran out of time last night before he could A/B the new SAM profile. We will have to keep our fingers crossed that a V8 Blade profile goes live over the next few days. I'll send him polite (yet relentless) emails to remind him over the next few days/weeks/months and I'm confident that as long as he got all of the measurements required he'll upload the profile even if only to get rid of me.

Alasdair
(26-Nov-2015, 12:00)oxfordaudio Wrote: Confused, measurements of our Kef Blades were taken yesterday. Valentine ran out of time last night before he could A/B the new SAM profile. We will have to keep our fingers crossed that a V8 Blade profile goes live over the next few days. I'll send him polite (yet relentless) emails to remind him over the next few days/weeks/months and I'm confident that as long as he got all of the measurements required he'll upload the profile even if only to get rid of me.

Alasdair

Interesting news Alasdair.  I suspect that this may be setting a precedence?  That is a speaker with a SAM V1 profile, converted to SAM V2, and then subsequently SAM labed?   In an ideal world, it would be good if Devialet included both profiles, "old" and new, in the configurator.  However, I think this is unlikely as it would tend to hint at there might be issues with profiles migrated to V2.  It will be interesting to see how this one unfolds, and if they do load up the V2 SAM labed profile, I hope it's a step forwards and not backwards!  A step back would be annoying! 

Anyway, good work on your part.  How much jerky do I owe you guys now?
None yet, lets see what happens first with this config.

I think Jon was jealous at the Chord day when you brought me more, I received a look of what was either contempt (or disgust) as I tucked in!

Jon's an M&S Jaffa bites guy.

I'll see what I can get done with Valentine.
(26-Nov-2015, 12:00)oxfordaudio Wrote: Thanks to all that came along yesterday despite the roadworks. We got a lot of speakers done in the end and hopefully everyone feels like they have had a massive upgrade for a few quid spent on parking!

We have since the event discovered that the PMC Fact12 is UnSAMable due to the crossover and the profile will not be uploaded.

Confused, measurements of our Kef Blades were taken yesterday. Valentine ran out of time last night before he could A/B the new SAM profile. We will have to keep our fingers crossed that a V8 Blade profile goes live over the next few days. I'll send him polite (yet relentless) emails to remind him over the next few days/weeks/months and I'm confident that as long as he got all of the measurements required he'll upload the profile even if only to get rid of me.

Alasdair

Hi Alasdair

Some excellent work here, well done. I would be very interested to hear any further insights as to why the Fact 12 was not suitable for SAM. It looks like a 3 way speaker with a dome midrange and two bass/mid drivers - should be no problem? Perhaps there is something tricky about the crossover points?
It's a shame because these were on my potential upgrade list!

Best regards
D440 Pro, Auralic Aries G1, Project Xtension 10, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Esoteric SA-50, Sonus Faber Olympica II, Audioquest cables. Mutec MC-3 + USB.