Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SAM, high pass, and subwoofers
I'm currently using an 80 Hz, 3rd order high pass filter on my mains (Dynaudio Contour 20), because I'm using 2 subwoofers (Martin Logan Dynamo 1100X).

SAM is currently off.

Is there any benefit to turning SAM on for my mains on if using a subwofer and if high passing the mains?
You can turn it on and off with the remote control if you set it up in the configuration so you can test it with your own ears. You can also adjust the boost between 0 and 100%. On 0% you still get the advantage of the timing adjustment between the woofer and the rest of the drivers.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(04-Aug-2019, 01:16)Pim Wrote: You can turn it on and off with the remote control if you set it up in the configuration so you can test it with your own ears. You can also adjust the boost between 0 and 100%. On 0% you still get the advantage of the timing adjustment between the woofer and the rest of the drivers.

What does the timing adjustment do?

I would have thought the manufacturer's crossover would already be dealing with tweeter / woofer time alignment.
The timing adjustment is phase correction over the 20-150Hz range.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
(04-Aug-2019, 02:39)David A Wrote: The timing adjustment is phase correction over the 20-150Hz range.

Interesting...although if I'm doing high-pass, I'd only be getting the benefit from 80-150 Hz.

And given that the 80-20 Hz part is handled by the subs, with their own phase adjustment, are we sure this would be a net beneift?
(04-Aug-2019, 04:02)watchnerd Wrote:
(04-Aug-2019, 02:39)David A Wrote: The timing adjustment is phase correction over the 20-150Hz range.

Interesting...although if I'm doing high-pass, I'd only be getting the benefit from 80-150 Hz.

And given that the 80-20 Hz part is handled by the subs, with their own phase adjustment, are we sure this would be a net beneift?
It’s easier to just try than to discuss it. Just give it at go. It’s all doable on the remote so you can hear as you adjust.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Quote:I have been experimenting with this for months. You get more from SAM than you think because your crossover still stretches out below 80Hz (from the amplifier). I have found that it needs a very careful balance between the % of SAM and how far up your subwoofer covers. I wouldn't expect you to need any more than 10% SAM with that high a crossover. I use a low 30Hz crossover from my PMC's to my REL T7i's. I found that I preferred a 3rd-order slope to the 4th order that the REL applies.

Beware that engaging SAM also changes the phase (by about 5ms in my opinion), so if you play about with phase matching your sub at all, you have to re-calibrate it. Crossover slope choice affects phase too.
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.