Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SAM measurements with REW
Well I finally decided to measure with REW SAM for my speakers (B&W 802 Nautilus) and visualize what I hear. The measurements were made from the listening position with 90degree the UMIK 1 mic. The increments are 10% from 100% until 0%(light blue) and OFF(dark Red).

What do you think?
Dark red looks the best.
It looks a bit more amplified because it is a 5db scale

Maybe it looks better in 10db scale. Sorry colors are not the same.
5db scale is better. Still looks that sam off is the best option.
Interesting. Despite what Devialet say about SAM applying below 150 Hz you can see differences up to above 1 kHz in the 5 dB scale plots.

I would suggest that the results people will hear will vary depending on their speakers. The speakers I was using when I got my Devialet were Dynaudio Contour 1.3SEs and I found I preferred them with SAM on and set to 25%. I've since swapped to Focal Sopra 2s and I'm listening to them with SAM turned on but set to 0% which I prefer to simply turning SAM off.

I suspect speaker placement and room acoustics in the bass region will also play a role in the results people get and what they prefer.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Since you amplify the lower infrequences if there is a problem there then with SAM it may get worst. It may worth measure your rooms with and without SAM and visualize what happens. In my opinion it is very important to record what you hear in the room. Do not forget we also listen the room, not only the speakers.
I've been playing around with SAM settings on/off and %. Been living without it for a few days now and realise dynamics seem a little fasters and more coherent. Speakers are ProAc SM100s. They have been very carefully positioned and the room setup is 'optimal'

With Beta 12, SAM ON or OFF has a very negligible effect, so for now its staying OFF.
Audionet DNA / roon / ProAc SM100s