Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SAM on dyn c20
Hello, Guys:

Just currently trouble with setting with SAM on/off & output power on dyn c20.
Outpower 170W(Found sound natural)?180W?200W?(A lit bit harder and lost of treble)
SAM on(Less treble but powerful) off (Have treble but not naturual)

Any one can share the best figuration on 200 with Dyn c20?
I have used SAM with a 140 and Dyn Contour 1.3 SEs and also with Focal Sopra 2s. Results with SAM vary quite a bit depending on speaker and also on your room and how your speaker loads your room so speaker placement also plays a part in your rest.

You didn't say what % setting you were using for SAM. Using SAM does 2 things. The higher you set the %, the more power is used for the bass so you will run out of power sooner as you increase volume. Secondly, increasing the bass shifts the tonal balance between the bass and mids and while it makes the bass, where our ears are less sensitive, more audible, it does nothing to increase the level of the high frequencies where our ears are also far less sensitive so the apparent level of the high frequencies isn't going to keep pace with the apparent level of the bass and the treble may seem less in comparison. In addition, in my experience changes in one of the extremes, whether low or high frequencies, seems to affect my perception of the other extreme and also of the mids. I find when turning the 5 setting for SAM up, voices start to sound hard and less natural to me.

My recommendation is to turn SAM on and set the % to zero. With that setting you get phase correction for the bass and speaker cone excursion projection but no extra bass boost other than the slight boost which comes with phase correction. Listen to that for a day or two and see what you think when you toggle SAM on and off. Then try increasing the % setting slowly, in steps of say 3 or 5% until you get to a point where you start to notice something you don't like. That was around the 25% mark for me with my Dyns but I run the Sopra 2s with SAM set to zero. Once you start to notice an issue go back to the previous setting and live with that for a while. Once having noticed an issue you may actually have to reduce the level 2 or 3 times to get below the level at which you notice problems and that may put you back to zero but I do think SAM, even at zero, does help with the bass.

Don't rush the changes in level, take a day or two at each level going up and coming down. We can respond negatively to changes because they're not what we're used to but give them a bit of time and our perceptions sometimes change so it's often wise to give yourself time to get used to any change in sound before you make a decision about whether it's better or worse.

As for other people's settings, they're not necessarily helpful, especially if that person has a very different room and setup to you. The room in particular has a huge effect on the sound you hear. Part of what you're hearing may well be due to issues from room modes (standing waves in the bass frequency range). Any boost to low frequencies including from SAM can exacerbate that kind of problem and what your issue may be is simply too high a SAM setting.

Experimentation is really the only way to find out what will give you the best result.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Good suggestion. Will try that.Thank you so much. :)David A Wrote:I have used SAM with a 140 and Dyn Contour 1.3 SEs and also with Focal Sopra 2s. Results with SAM vary quite a bit depending on speaker and also on your room and how your speaker loads your room so speaker placement also plays a part in your rest.

You didn't say what % setting you were using for SAM. Using SAM does 2 things. The higher you set the %, the more power is used for the bass so you will run out of power sooner as you increase volume. Secondly, increasing the bass shifts the tonal balance between the bass and mids and while it makes the bass, where our ears are less sensitive, more audible, it does nothing to increase the level of the high frequencies where our ears are also far less sensitive so the apparent level of the high frequencies isn't going to keep pace with the apparent level of the bass and the treble may seem less in comparison. In addition, in my experience changes in one of the extremes, whether low or high frequencies, seems to affect my perception of the other extreme and also of the mids. I find when turning the 5 setting for SAM up, voices start to sound hard and less natural to me.

My recommendation is to turn SAM on and set the % to zero. With that setting you get phase correction for the bass and speaker cone excursion projection but no extra bass boost other than the slight boost which comes with phase correction. Listen to that for a day or two and see what you think when you toggle SAM on and off. Then try increasing the % setting slowly, in steps of say 3 or 5% until you get to a point where you start to notice something you don't like. That was around the 25% mark for me with my Dyns but I run the Sopra 2s with SAM set to zero. Once you start to notice an issue go back to the previous setting and live with that for a while. Once having noticed an issue you may actually have to reduce the level 2 or 3 times to get below the level at which you notice problems and that may put you back to zero but I do think SAM, even at zero, does help with the bass.

Don't rush the changes in level, take a day or two at each level going up and coming down. We can respond negatively to changes because they're not what we're used to but give them a bit of time and our perceptions sometimes change so it's often wise to give yourself time to get used to any change in sound before you make a decision about whether it's better or worse.

As for other people's settings, they're not necessarily helpful, especially if that person has a very different room and setup to you. The room in particular has a huge effect on the sound you hear. Part of what you're hearing may well be due to issues from room modes (standing waves in the bass frequency range). Any boost to low frequencies including from SAM can exacerbate that kind of problem and what your issue may be is simply too high a SAM setting.

Experimentation is really the only way to find out what will give you the best result.