Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Help] Phantom Reactor or Kef LSX for Music/TV setup ?
Hi Everyone, and sorry in advance if this post is in the wrong section, i'm new to the forum. 

I'm Simon from Paris, and i currently have a pair of Atohm furtive + a shitty amplifier. I live in a tiny appartment (Paris, for those who know), and i'm facing a tough choice right know. 

Here is the thing, i don't have the room nor the budget to have a separate Music / TV setup, but i still want to upgrade my current setup, and would like it to allow me to listen to decent music while being able to watch some TV and movies without having to go through too much hastle. 

So i'm currently hesitating between two well known pairs of speakers : 
- The Kef LSX 
- A pair of Phantom Reactor 600. 

I have a 2000 € budget, and need a space saving solution (so a massive A/V amp and a pair of speakers won't do it), as well as something which is decently design and pretty (my girlfriend is pressuring me on that part) 

Would you have any advices ? Feedback for those who are or were in the same situation ? Any opinions on those pairs ? Any other solutions (soundbars maybe) that i may have overlooked ? 

Thanks in advance for your answers, sorry for my english mistakes, and have a nice day Smile
Welcome to the forum...

Have you seen this?
https://darko.audio/2019/08/a-short-film...actor-900/
Darko compared the Reactor 900 with the LS50, bigger & better than the LSX. In your tiny apartment, there will be no difference between the Reactor 600 and 900 because you do not need the extra power of the 900.

Have you listened to both the Reactor 600 and LSX?  Do you prefer one over another?  While I think the Reactor 600 is a lot better than the LSX in detail, clarity and the bass, it is important that you use your own ears to decide. Each of us have our own preference for music. So please audition both of them before deciding.

p/s please ignore sound bar because they do not come close to either the Reactor nor the LSX.
(13-Mar-2020, 12:20)Snoopy8 Wrote: Welcome to the forum...

Have you seen this?
Darko compared the Reactor 900 with the LS50, bigger & better than the LSX. In your tiny apartment, there will be no difference between the Reactor 600 and 900 because you do not need the extra power of the 900.

Have you listened to both the Reactor 600 and LSX?  Do you prefer one over another?  While I think the Reactor 600 is a lot better than the LSX in detail, clarity and the bass, it is important that you use your own ears to decide. Each of us have our own preference for music. So please audition both of them before deciding.

p/s please ignore sound bar because they do not come close to either the Reactor nor the LSX.

Thanks for your answer ! 

Actually i have listened to both of the speakers. The reactors impressed me with the bass, obviously, but i felt the LSX had a wider soundstage than the phantom. In terms of clarity, the difference didn't strike me, but i didn't have control on the sound source so i'm not in position to judge here. Both were very pleasant anyway, but my fear is that with TV and movie content, the mediums and the voices would be crushed by the bass of the Reactor. After all, it's clearly not a setup meant for TV. 
Did any of you had the occasion to experience the reactors in such conditions ?
(13-Mar-2020, 14:13)Piotr.Kubic Wrote:
(13-Mar-2020, 12:20)Snoopy8 Wrote: Welcome to the forum...

Have you seen this?

Thanks for your answer ! 

Actually i have listened to both of the speakers. The reactors impressed me with the bass, obviously, but i felt the LSX had a wider soundstage than the phantom. In terms of clarity, the difference didn't strike me, but i didn't have control on the sound source so i'm not in position to judge here. Both were very pleasant anyway, but my fear is that with TV and movie content, the mediums and the voices would be crushed by the bass of the Reactor. After all, it's clearly not a setup meant for TV. 
Did any of you had the occasion to experience the reactors in such conditions ?

I’m in similar position as you are , What about the latency of the reactors , I was under the impression lip sync is one of their weaknesses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk