Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Headphones and the Devialet
I have already posted on another thread that I am considering buying a new pair of high end headphones. Do any Devialet owners on here drive a good pair of headphones with the Devialet without using a dedicated headphone amp.

I have a dedicated headphone amp and after my initial listening comparisons I decided to keep it. However my initial ideas when buying the 200 was a one box solution and ultimately it still is I think. Just the Devilalet and a reliable AIR or Dialog, with the speakers would be my goal as this would allow a possible speaker upgrade in the future.

I am therefore keen to know if anyone uses the Dev with the HD800 or other similar headphones.

Guidance as always appreciated.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
I guess most must use a dedicated HP amp then.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
I use an Hd700 with my D200 straight from the pre-outs. Was using a Creek headphone amp (not a very expensive one either) when I had my Naim kit. Still have it and been meaning to plug it back in to the Dev to compare with the pre-outs - just haven't quite got round to it. My impression up to now of using the pre-outs has been a bit underwhelming though. Think I liked the Creek better with the Naim amp at least. Might get some time to test this at the weekend!
Devialet D200, Linn Majik DS, Pro-Ject X-Pack turntable, PMC Fact 8 speakers,
Creek headphone amp, Sennheiser HD700, Monitor Audio sub.
I'm using the pre-out for my Philips X1 headphone. I only use it during the night session when I couldn't sleep and wanted to listen to some music. So, I'm not picky on this aspect. In any case, it sounded great to my ears as my X1 is easy to drive.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

(01-Sep-2015, 23:24)Jgw911 Wrote: I use an Hd700 with my D200 straight from the pre-outs. Was using a Creek headphone amp (not a very expensive one either) when I had my Naim kit. Still have it and been meaning to plug it back in to the Dev to compare with the pre-outs - just haven't quite got round to it. My impression up to now of using the pre-outs has been a bit underwhelming though. Think I liked the Creek better with the Naim amp at least. Might get some time to test this at the weekend!

Yes I preferred my headphone amp to just using the HP straight from the Pre- outs too. I am in the process of getting some high end headphones and I was just considering amp options too. I will more than likely get the HP and see how they sound with my current amp/

Thanks for reply.
(02-Sep-2015, 02:12)hk6230 Wrote: I'm using the pre-out for my Philips X1 headphone. I only use it during the night session when I couldn't sleep and wanted to listen to some music. So, I'm not picky on this aspect. In any case, it sounded great to my ears as my X1 is easy to drive.

Thanks for reply. Yes I only use HP when i have to but this may increase as I now have new neighbour......been use to an empty apartment below me so I have been spoiled. Big Grin Trouble is the 200 and my speakers are so good that the HP seem a real disappointment. My ears will adjust i guess.
(02-Sep-2015, 12:21)Womaz Wrote:
(02-Sep-2015, 02:12)hk6230 Wrote: I'm using the pre-out for my Philips X1 headphone. I only use it during the night session when I couldn't sleep and wanted to listen to some music. So, I'm not picky on this aspect. In any case, it sounded great to my ears as my X1 is easy to drive.

Thanks for reply. Yes I only use HP when i have to but this may increase as I now have new neighbour......been use to an empty apartment below me so I have been spoiled.  Big Grin Trouble is the 200 and my speakers are so good that the HP seem a real disappointment. My ears will adjust i guess.

I have pairs of Denon AH-D500 (closed back) and pairs of Sennheiser HD 650 and HD800 (both open back).  I used to have a very good HP amp. in the form of a Grham Slee Solo Ultra Linear, but decided to sell it as I preferred the sound of the cans driven by the pre outs fron the Devialet. To my ears the sound had more definition, a wider soundstage and better dynamics. The bass of the Denons sounded flabby at the lower extremes when driven by the Slee, but was better controlled by the Devialet.  Hope that this might help you in your choice, but I guess that the best way is to audition as many pairs as possible on your own system.  Happy hunting!
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
HD800 will be a nice addition to you system.

Distributors of High-End Audio equipment & accessories & International Exclusive dealers
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brands:  HiDiamond, Essence of Music, Crystal Cable, Siltech Cable, VertexAQ, Audeze, Musical Fidelity, Wilson Benesch, Cardas Cables, Sennheiser, MusicalStones, Klutz Design. Acoustic Preference, Dynaudio, PS Audio, Ayon Audio, Dan D'agostino and many more Smile
Cosmosound Technologies (www.cosmo-tech.info)
eshop: www.echosaudio.net