Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SL-1200 is reborn!
http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2016...-turntable
Current: Phantom Silvers, Oppo 105D (Toslink), Raspberry Pi + Digi+, ROON
Pre-Phantom: PenAudio Rebel2, Nuforce MCH-2C5, Oppo 105D (Analog)
(05-Jan-2016, 20:02)trashken Wrote: http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2016...-turntable

Looks great! The arm gimbal is more solid than on the old 1200. If Technics has reduced 'cogging' too then this may be a serious contender!
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Michael Fremer has reviewed the new 1200 GAE in August Stereophile. Anyone with a (digital) subscription care to give a brief overview of the verdict?
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
So no one has a subscription to Stereophile? I assume Fremer did not like the new 1200. I have not seen any quotes from the review anywhere which usually is a  sign the review was not favourable.
Devialetless!
I subscribe to Stereophile, I have, on and off, for decades.
Fremer did not review the TT but there was a Herb Reichert write up on it. He liked it a lot, said it was well worth the money and much better than his copy of the original 1200.
FWIW
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(22-Jul-2016, 13:20)f1eng Wrote: I subscribe to Stereophile, I have, on and off, for decades.
Fremer did not review the TT but there was a Herb Reichert write up on it. He liked it a lot, said it was well worth the money and much better than his copy of the original 1200.
FWIW

Thanks!

I have also subscribed to Stereophile for many years, but did not renew this spring...
I see. So it was Reichert who wrote the review. My fault then. Fremer has been talking a lot about the new 1200 so I thought he had the table in for testing.
Devialetless!
(22-Jul-2016, 14:06)ogs Wrote:
(22-Jul-2016, 13:20)f1eng Wrote: I subscribe to Stereophile, I have, on and off, for decades.
FWIW

Thanks!

I have also subscribed to Stereophile for many years, but did not renew this spring...
I see. So it was Reichert who wrote the review. My fault then. Fremer has been talking a lot about the new 1200 so I thought he had the table in for testing.

I won't renew when this subscription runs out either. I don't consider the turntable/arm/cartridge write ups to be "Stereophile reviews" since they don't have the normal measurement section. Record players are difficult to measure (it was one of my jobs to measure competitors products when in R&D at Garrard in the mod 1970s), but so are speakers and they manage that.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

The SL-1200GAE Limited Edition was reviewed in the June '16 issue of Hifi News and Record Review. Gaining an 'outstanding product' gong and a sound quality score of 86%.

'Conclusion 'Brilliantly re-engineered, the new SL-1200GAE is a pleasure to use and to hear. It's still distinctly 'Technics' in it's delivery - with a wonderfully emotive sound that's fizzing with energy - yet there is also real subtlety and finesse now, unlike its predecessors. That magnificent direct drive motor imbues the turntable with a commanding imperious feel that so many price rivals lack. It is a legend reborn.'

Confused SL-1200 review: 'It has an S shaped tone arm, which is very cool indeed, and variable speed control, which is enormous fun. I haven't heard one though. (I have heard very many of the 'originals' though)

If anyone is absolutely desperate to read the review, then subscribe to Hifi news without delay. (or PM me your private email, I might be feeling kind tomorrow and send a wonkily scanned version)
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
The Stereophile review of the 1200GAE is now available  http://www.stereophile.com/content/gramophone-dreams-11
Devialetless!