Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lawrence Audio Violin SE speakers - SOLD
Hello All,

In spite of the current impediments to travel, things in our family have changed, and we now expect to be away, mostly in Italy, for four to six months each year. To do this we will need to rent our house, and it just makes no sense to have a lot of hi fi equipment in the house, or sitting in storage. So we've agreed to simplify our lives and that includes selling the sound system. 

Ideally I would sell the whole system at once, but otherwise the speakers really need to go first; it is easier to sell an amp without a demo than speakers. So, I'm not yet ready to sell the amp on its own. 

I have a beautiful pair of Lawrence Audio Violin SE speakers in Rosewood. An 8" carbon fibre fabric woofer and a 6" AMT tweeter on the front, as well as a smaller ribbon tweeter on the upper rear face, giving the high frequencies a very open, spacious sound. These have stands specific to this speaker, and the speaker is bottom ported, making them quite forgiving of placement to the wall behind. I'll attach a link to one review by Terry London, whom I spoke to personally about these speakers. He had the next larger Lawrence Audio model, the Cello, as his personal reference for a while. These are tonally beautiful, quick without being sharp, and in beautiful condition. I have these listed on Canuck Audio Mart as well. 

The amp was upgraded to Pro CI in November 2016, so has one year of warranty left. It is in excellent condition, having never been moved from it's shelf except for trips to France (which I did not get to go on). I'm including three Orea Bronze footers, and two 12' lengths of Analysis Plus Oval 9 speaker cable, which is outstanding. The amp is on a shelf, and is a pain to get to, so I haven't dismantled things just to get beauty shots. I'm confident in it's cosmetic and functional condition. No faults ever registered on the display. 

I love the system, and I've had nothing but happy, trouble-free service from the system, but selling the system just makes sense now. As the speakers are large, a local sale is probably easiest, but I have all the original boxes so shipping may be workable. 

All in, except for shipping, I'm looking for $9,500.00 CDN for the system as described, or $4,750.00 for the speakers alone.  I can send more pictures or a video if you are interested. 

Thanks very much. 

https://hometheaterreview.com/lawrence-a...-reviewed/

Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
That must have been a difficult decision, Damon. The speakers look wonderful! Good luck with your sale, and I hope everything works out well for you.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Tongue 
@thumb5

Thanks very much. It has been a tough decision to come to, and it is still a tough one to stick to. We listened to music last night after dinner, and it was wonderful. We turned off the lights and took turns picking songs. Electronic music from The Polish Ambassador and Delerium, to Caro Emerald and Jordi Savall. My wife outlasted me and I left her to her musical guilty pleasures, which usually ends up with John O'Callagan's 'Surreal' played at levels that lets the neighbours enjoy the music as well  Tongue

Once I had the Devialet and LA speakers in place, I lost interest in shopping or even caring much about the equipment, and that has been great. Even with the compromised listening / positioning we have, the sound has been superb. We give up sound staging stuff, but that has always been less important than tone and 'complete' sound to me. 

Now, as we refine our retirement plans (or our hopeful plans) we're adjusting our attitudes to the house and other possessions. The speakers are big enough that keeping and storing them is a problem, and I don't see much sense in storing the amp for months at a time either. These things come and go, and even though I am very dedicated to Devialet, and music, I am not precious about these things. Not anymore, I guess. I can't remember the last time I updated anything on the amp, other than to add a CD transport input. Even the bass guitar collection may go next (but not the '72 Fender P with original pick-ups and the slim A neck). Big bass amps and cabs, yes. Sorry, deviation alert!

As I type, I realize that forums can be a funny blend of public and individual conversations, and I don't mean to clot up the public forum with vague ramblings. But then, now that I've typed all this, I'm not going to waste it. 

Part of me would like to find a Dev Chat member to inherit this gear, as this group is the nicest musical family I personally know of. Very limited experience, certainly, but I do feel that way. A DC member sale would be keeping the stuff in the family, in a small way. 

There you have it.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
Sorry to see you go Damon, sounds like you've been very happy with your system once it all came together. You could always take the Devialet with you... ;-)
Enjoy Italy and your semi-retirement!
1Gb Fiber/Comcast WiFi6 router with Linear Power Supply- Wireworld Platinum 8 Ethernet - Intel NUC817BEH with linear power supply and silver cabling - Wireworld Platinum 8 Ethernet - Etherregen - Wireworld Platinum 8 Ethernet - Goal Zero Yeti 1400 lithium power generator - Devialet D400 with Synergistic Research Galileo UEF power cables on self-designed three-stage isolation stand - Stealth Audio Sextet V14 digital RCA - Synergistic Research Atmosphere X Euphoria speaker cables - Magico S5 - Pair JL Audio Fathom F112 and Stealth Audio M7000 Power Cables, Synergistic Research Sub cable - 7mx9m room, treated with acoustic panels, Synergistic Research HFT on speakers and walls (stage3), Synergistic Research Black Box,  All cables on wooden block risers

Yes - everything matters!
Will you sell the 220 Pro CI separately?
                                                           Cape Town - South Africa, the home of good wine
Listening stuff:  Mercury Pi2 / Gentooplayer,  Expert 440PRO CI.  4Tb SSD.  Mogami speaker cable to ET LF8bs, B&W DB1 sub, Power from 7.5kW inverter.  2 x Dachshunds
Hi @chrisc
Thanks for the enquire. In short, maybe, but maybe not. I'm still torn on the whole operation. I'm trialing a set of Bucharest A500 actives now, and we're working through the size & convenience vs sound quality musings & mumblings. I can say that it is so far kind of difficult to know how this will play out, as the Dev & LA combo is clearly very, very good.

So, for the moment I'm not selling the amp separately. But if I do decide to let it go, I'll post it here on Dev Chat. I guess it just suits my lifestyle Smile. Into the overhead baggage compartment and Ciao Italia!
Damon
Vancouver, Canada
Sadly, the speakers have sold. Poop. I really love them. Though the Buchardt's are an excellent and amazing speaker/ system, the Dev and LA set up is quite superior. As in, aaahhh, relaxation, and space and ease and notes and tones that float. Alas, the logic in downsizing still makes sense so I suspect the Buchardt’s will go back, and I'll be looking for a compact stand mount, with a SAM profile, to do the musical duty.

Focal Sopra No 1? SF Cremona Auditor M? I guess I could try the Reactor 600's. Dali or Dynaudio?

For now, the 220 will stay in the family, as my intuition, well-lubricated with a fine Semillion-Sauv. Blanc facilitation says that the D220 is just too good to let go. Strangely, my wife is very clear: new speakers? "OK, but the next set better sound good", and she says the 220 stays. Who knew?
Damon
Vancouver, Canada
While Reactor 600 is an amazing speaker, in particular for it's diminutive size, I doubt that it can fill the void after the LA that you just sold. The 220 Pro with a pair of small "bookshelf" speakers will most likely be better, maybe apart from the bass where Phantoms are really good. How do you send music to your system? Roon? UPnP?
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(22-Nov-2020, 05:29)Damon Wrote: Focal Sopra No 1? SF Cremona Auditor M? I guess I could try the Reactor 600's. Dali or Dynaudio?
You´re in the right way, in my opinion.
Trying that kind of speakers will drive you to get what you´re searching for.

I am too suspicious to advise SF, but be sure to listen them very carefully.
Mac mini with Roon, Devialet 220 Pro CI, Black Sixteen speaker cables, Sonus Faber Guarneri Tradition and a pair of ears.
Thanks All,

I know that this change will be a downgrade in some audible ways, but I'm OK with that. I'm just learning what my tolerances are for a change in sound. One thing that I find is that I don't want to part with the Devialet. It is 'right' for my ears. And it is compact, and paid for. Having it has surprised me in that I consider the electronics quite important, maybe more than I did in the past. Well, that is not quite complete. I guess I like the Devialet more than my previous electronics.

The Buchardt's will go back, impressive though they are as a package. My wife was clearly relieved to hear that I came to this conclusion. Funny how she says she doesn't care, then clearly lets me know that 'I made the right decision'. Harumph.

There are some likely good options on the Dali Epicon 2 but a demo will be difficult. And unless we buy without hearing, we have to choose from the speakers and brands that we have access to in our own areas.

I'm running off the rails on my own thread, so I'll stop rambling.
Damon
Vancouver, Canada