Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mac: AIR or USB?
I have tuned my system to work fine with Air (moving the wifi unit about to get the highest signal strength, using a different channel to any other wifi network in range and banishing Android devices)
It has the great advantage that all my friends have added Air to their iDevices and can play music on my system. This is great.
One visitor said "wow this high res digital really is much better" when the computer was paused and we were actually listening to an MP4 file transmitted wirelessly from a 'phone.
Ie it sounds PDG this way.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

It's worth noting that streaming wirelessly from an iPhone can be achieved even if the Devialet is hard wired to a PC / Mac. The iPhone app talks to your router, assuming the iPhone is connected to the wifi network, and the music can be streamed via hard wired Eathernet / AIR to the Devialet. I presume this would also work if the PC or Mac was connected via USB? Although am not sure as I have never actually tried this myself.
(03-Jan-2015, 13:55)Confused Wrote: It's worth noting that streaming wirelessly from an iPhone can be achieved even if the Devialet is hard wired to a PC / Mac. The iPhone app talks to your router, assuming the iPhone is connected to the wifi network, and the music can be streamed via hard wired Eathernet / AIR to the Devialet. I presume this would also work if the PC or Mac was connected via USB? Although am not sure as I have never actually tried this myself.

I sometimes play music from my iPhone via wifi over hard wired ethernet. It work flawlessly. a
Also use the Mac via USB and I can't see how you would get the phone to play over ethernet through the mac and USB. Is that what you meant?
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Streaming from "i devices' only works through AIR (ethernet or WiFi).

USB is an separate/independent input on the Devialet and the computer feeding it does not have the means to "mix in" the AIR input, so no it won't work for USB.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands