Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SToM 200 ULTRA vs Devialet AIR (WIFI)
Hi guys, 

I am in the process of choosing streamer (or stay with the CI functions) for my Devialet

Q1: anyone had experience comparing 200Ultra with the Devialet AIR on Laptop via WIFI? Which is better?

Q2: does anyone experienced significant SQ improvement by using a good external streamer? I think the DAC and PreAMP should matter the most, streamer should have tiny to do with SQ? If you have experienced huge improvement by adding a external streamer, what's the streamer?
(30-May-2018, 08:28)PeppaPig Wrote: Hi guys, 

I am in the process of choosing streamer (or stay with the CI functions) for my Devialet

Q1: anyone had experience comparing 200Ultra with the Devialet AIR on Laptop via WIFI? Which is better?

Q2: does anyone experienced significant SQ improvement by using a good external streamer? I think the DAC and PreAMP should matter the most, streamer should have tiny to do with SQ? If you have experienced huge improvement by adding a external streamer, what's the streamer?

Hi PeppaPig,

Ad. 1:
For over a year I've hed SOtM sMS-200 (basic version). I was wery happy with it - fast, coheretnt, detailed sound. Not particularly musical, with noticable "digital coating", with rather "simple" soundstage and short bass extension. However, it was stable (soft, control app - iPeng), precise and dynamic. With new bespoke, strong power supply (IMO: must option) SOtM played much better.

At the beginning of this year I decided to make a step forward and ask my dealer for new sMS-200Ultra version. Trust me - after a year I had a substanitial experience with setting SOtM (LMS, iPeng, etc) but... I could not make it with Ultra. The soft itself is dramatically unstable (LMS hung up a few times a day, it does not display covers or even its own system icons !!!). The SQ differences are noticable but IMO the price (4X with PS) not justified.

Ad. 2:
USB transports play flat, digitally, artificially and hard with Devialet. It concerns not only SOtM devices buy also Aurender and Auralic Aries Femto (USB), I also tested. I believe it is a matter of quality of USB modul implementation as well as the nature of this connection itself.

My recommendation:
I definitely suggest you to try AES/EBU link. It sounds much more musical / analog / 3D way. SPDiF is also very good - worth taking into consideration.
In case of AES/EBU transports I strongly reccomend dCS Network Bridge or Moon Neo Mind (which is nearly on the same level in terms of SQ but less expensive). Auralic Aries Femto (also equiped with AES/EBU socket) is slightly less interested (Moon is "deeper" and "denser") but also worth consideration.

I've chosen Moon (bought in April) and I still cannot believe how good player it is. Excellend sound and build, rock stable soft, acceptable control app (quick, stable but could be more intuitive). Give it a good AES and power cables and you will love it. 

As for AIR connection:
AIR is OK but good transport shows a big difference in terms of SQ. Day-to-day handling is a completely different story. 

Reg, Mike
for the old pre-Pro models this is true, but it has changed if you have a Pro CI model with the latest firmware. In this case I think Roon/AIR is hard to beat, especially from a price point of view.
@PeppaPig - When looking at streamer options I always think there are two key considerations.  The first is of course sound quality, which you highlight in your first post.  

The second consideration is functionality.  It might be useful if you give us some idea how you like to use your system, do you want to play local files, are there any particular streaming services that you use, do you have a preference for Roon, iTunes, JRiver or anything else, this kind of thing.  Are you happy to control from a PC / Laptop / Mac or whatever?  Do you like to use a remote app from an iPad or 'phone.  These considerations may help to narrow the options down.

As an example, in the past I tried a number of 'streamers' with the D800, I really liked the sound from the Aurender N10, but in terms of functionality it did not fit with how I like to consume my music.  Similar issues with the Melco range.  I may have been happy with the Aurender SQ, but I would never have been happy with the functionality.  But that's just me, I know others find the Aurender Conductor app suits them perfectly, so this is a very personal thing.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Thanks everyone.

@Mike, I saw you have a 200 in your signature, people said AIR in Pro has improved a lot, I never used AIR before the Pro upgrade so I don’t know how much difference. But if you got experience with any Air on Pro vs SOtM or any other streamer please feel free to share it. The Ultra should be as stable as non-Ultra they just added an clocker. The SOtM only offering USB out for that price I am not very happy with.

@Confused, you are right, not just the SQ but also functions, I need something can easily control by iPhone to switch music between Tidal and Dsf/flac/MP3 on my NAS.

dCS network bridge seems good, it’s so expensive. Haven’t see any second hand yet.
(30-May-2018, 12:00)Vivialet Wrote: for the old pre-Pro models this is true, but it has changed if you have a Pro CI model with the latest firmware. In this case I think Roon/AIR is hard to beat, especially from a price point of view.

I do not want to argue with this. However the overall convenience of use still favour the external streamer.
(30-May-2018, 15:13)PeppaPig Wrote: Thanks everyone.

@Mike, I saw you have a 200 in your signature, people said AIR in Pro has improved a lot, I never used AIR before the Pro upgrade so I don’t know how much difference. But if you got experience with any Air on Pro vs SOtM or any other streamer please feel free to share it. The Ultra should be as stable as non-Ultra they just added an clocker. The SOtM only offering USB out for that price I am not very happy with.

@Confused, you are right, not just the SQ but also functions, I need something can easily control by iPhone to switch music between Tidal and Dsf/flac/MP3 on my NAS.

dCS network bridge seems good, it’s so expensive. Haven’t see any second hand yet.

Unfortunately I have never had a chance to compare 200 with AIR in D.Pro. Nevertheless, taking into account my experience with USB connection and the quality od AIR system in Le version I would not be surprised if AIR in Pro turns out to be better (especially when using Roon engine). In case of a good ASE/EBU transport (connected with HQ AES cable), I would not be so sure about that. The easy of use (ability to control the stream with iphone / ipad), from my point of view, justify the expenses. Simple example - my wife and my son have the Moon control application in their iphones - they can control the streamer even if we (me and my laptop) are out. Nevertheless I understand those who prefer to operate D. via laptop and AIR system.
(30-May-2018, 08:28)PeppaPig Wrote: Hi guys, 

Q2: If you have experience adding a external streamer, what's the streamer?

I'm waiting patiently for Devialet to implement the promised Qobuz integration to the CI board software. But in the meantime I'm using my Squeezebox Transporter with LMS and ipeng to stream Qobuz. I use the aes/ebu balanced digital from the Transporter to the Devialet 440 and the sound quality is superb, easily as good as Roon Air which I also use to play from my music library.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roon Rock, Devialet 220 pro CI, Palmer 2.5 Turntable, AT OC9MLii, Classic Audio MC Pro Phono and Harbeth SHL5 Plus
(30-May-2018, 18:36)MIKE Wrote:
(30-May-2018, 12:00)Vivialet Wrote: for the old pre-Pro models this is true, but it has changed if you have a Pro CI model with the latest firmware. In this case I think Roon/AIR is hard to beat, especially from a price point of view.

I do not want to argue with this. However the overall convenience of use still favour the external streamer.

I have not seen any control software that can compete with Roon.
(30-May-2018, 20:26)Vivialet Wrote:
(30-May-2018, 18:36)MIKE Wrote:

I have not seen any control software that can compete with Roon.
As for the software - yes Roon is difficult to beat.
But I mean the necessity of useing PC/laptop (keep it activated) to play the music.
From my point, it is not the most convenient solution.