Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Sam
The effects of SAM are not the same for all speakers.
Maybe they are really minor for your SFs.

BTW, these are great speakers!
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

(29-Jul-2020, 23:02)BoyScout Wrote: I don´t have any device to do measurements, and i don´t know if i want it.
Based on my ears and senses I never noticed the SAM´s influence, neither in this room nor in the room of my ex home, very different from this one.
Maybe i need to test it with a very different positioning of speakers, just to feel the influence, because, for me, they´re sounding fine.

The only thing I have to do measurements with is an iPhone app and I don't find it all that useful. I basically use my ears to tell me whether something makes a difference for me when I'm making changes, and also whether that difference is for better or worse, or whether it's a change that makes some things better and some other things worse and then I have to decide which affects my enjoyment most, the things it made better or the things it made worse.

Measurements can definitely provide useful info that can help you to make improvements, and if you've measured the right thing they can also tell you whether there is a difference or not. If the aim of the game is listening enjoyment, however, measurements are less important than whether the change puts a smile on your face or not.

Things are good while you're smiling, they're not good when you're not smiling.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
(29-Jul-2020, 23:44)Delija Wrote: The effects of SAM are not the same for all speakers.
Maybe they are really minor for your SFs.

BTW, these are great speakers!

Yeah, small but great, thanks.
I´ll keep trying SAM one of these days again, but thanks again for your support.
Mac mini with Roon, Devialet 220 Pro CI, Black Sixteen speaker cables, Sonus Faber Guarneri Tradition and a pair of ears.
Ears are most important, of course. But, for example, proper/optimal subwoofer integration is impossible without measurements.

(30-Jul-2020, 00:01)David A Wrote: Things are good while you're smiling, they're not good when you're not smiling.

You´re absolutely right!
And the absence of SAM doesn't wipe the smile off my face, as far as the speakers are concerned. Big Grin
Mac mini with Roon, Devialet 220 Pro CI, Black Sixteen speaker cables, Sonus Faber Guarneri Tradition and a pair of ears.
(30-Jul-2020, 00:07)Delija Wrote: Ears are most important, of course. But, for example, proper/optimal subwoofer integration is impossible without measurements.

By the way, in the past two weeks i had two REL subs here at home to test with my system, the 9Ti (clearly isufficient) and a much better S510.
And decided to leave this upgrade for a near future, i realize thar i need first to upgrade my source, the server, before the sub.
I feel some great improvement with the REL S510 but not in all the musics (and is tricky to find the right setup and positioning).
I never had good luck with Sam , I tried it with several different speakers and end up disabling it all together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What you didn't like?

SAM can exaggerate room problems.
Deeper + stronger bass = more possibility to excite room modes.
And muddy bass = muddy sound on whole frequency range.

I didn’t like anything about it
When I tried it with Wilson’s the bass was too boomy and didn’t play much of the notes
With yg it didn’t do anything, ( Sam didn’t have anything to correct) I just found it very unpleasant to listen to music for more than an hour

I’m certain it’s doing wonderful things to some speakers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(29-Jul-2020, 21:23)Delija Wrote: Offtopic
BTW, good dual subs (when properly integrated!) are even better than SAM Smile

that's it !    Big Grin
Clearaudio Solution Cmb - Clearaudio Syncro Power - Achromat - The Wand Plus II - AT Oc9 III - Nuc Cirrus7  Roon Rock - Cisco sg200-08 - D220 Expert Pro Ci - PMC LB1 Signature with SAM - Egglestonworks Fontaine II - 2x BK 200Xls ff Mk2 - Meicord Eth - Siltech New York - Audioquest Nrg Z3 - HAF Drc

Marietto - Italia