Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sample rate conversion 96k to 48k
Can anyone tell me why Roon is down sampling 96 to 48khz. Thanks
Please see picture [Image: view?usp=drivesdk]

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1X8e6vm4...p=drivesdk
This is done by software, there is a a topic about this here on Devialet chat

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
To put it short: the link between Phantoms is limited to 48kHz so Roon is using 48kHz.

I thought one could send up to 96kHz from Roon to Phantoms and let Phantoms do the downsampling to 48kHz? How does Settings=>Audio=>(Phantom)=>Advanced look like in Roon? Can one select 96kHz?
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Yes, Roon can send 24/96k through RAAT to the Phantoms. Then in the receiving Phantom the stream is downsampled to 24/48k and distributed to other Phantoms for stereo reproduction and multiroom room play.
(27-Oct-2021, 22:11)streamy Wrote: Yes, Roon can send 24/96k through RAAT to the Phantoms. Then in the receiving Phantom the stream is downsampled to 24/48k and distributed to other Phantoms for stereo reproduction and multiroom room play.

Can one avoid the downsampling? By using ethernet cabling?
No, this is part of the Phantom design. 48kHz is max between units no matter which connection is used. I also think a single Phantom ( mono or Solo) will downsample before it plays. So even if you manage to split L & R before you send to, let's say, TosLink on individual  Phantoms it will downsample high rez to 48kHz. We tend to believe it has always been like this, only Devialet didn't tell us.

There is also a small chance that the current max of 24/48 is an improvement over the older versions and that 16bit was used for interspeaker transfer. This is pure speculation on my part, but Roon RAAT would have exposed this so Devialet could have reworked its code to do 24bit instead of 16bit. Again, this is just speculation and also moot as one needs to move to a higher firmware to get RAAT (if you need it) and other enhancements.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB