Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sent in a D-Premier for updating to 250 Pro
After listening to the improvement in audio quality with the Expert Pro 220 over the 200, along with the various streaming options,  decided to send in my D-Premier back to Devialet for upgrade to the 250 Pro.   Although it is a bit pricey,  compared to getting a 250 Pro,  updating the D-Premier seemed like a much better option.  A new five year warranty also helps.  The only weird thing is this D-Premier is white vs chrome.  The removable plate has D-Premier painted on it. 

Been very impressed with the process of sending the unit back.  Devialet has been very good to work with.  Even if you no longer have the original shipping containers,  they will provide the required shipping  cartons.  

Here's something I've noticed with single vs dual Expert use.  When I had speakers that had efficiency in the mid 80s,  dual expert use definitely makes a difference.  My current reference speakers are 90 db/w,  and using dual expert configuration does not seem to make any noticeable audible difference.  I'm referring to dual D-Premier,  and D-400.  In actuality,  it seems that sometimes the sound was subjectivly better with the D-Premier in single vs dual with the 90db/w speakers.
1, ATC SCM 40 V2 speakers,  SVS PC4000 subwoofer,  Devialet Expert Pro 1000, ,  Ultrasone Edition 15, Ultrasone Edition 15 Veritas,  ,Chord Hugo TT, Magnetar UBR-800, GeerFab DBoB, OTL Headphone amp

2. Dynaudio Focus 360 , Devialet Expert Pro 220, Reavon UBR X-110, GeerFab DBoB
Are you sure that you get a five year warranty? I saw somewhere that the warranty these days is shorter.

The 250pro is great. But I liked my D-PREMIER as well.
Spiral Groove/Soundsmith - jRiver/Audiophile Optimizer/Process Lasso - Devialet 1000 pro - Rockport Ankaa
Nordost Valhalla, Brahma, Frey2+ & Tyr2/Ansuz Mainz C/D8
Isoacoustics OREA/Shunyata Dark Field/Nordost QV/QK
Devialet Gemini
(09-Mar-2022, 21:45)frejo Wrote: Are you sure that you get a five year warranty? I saw somewhere that the warranty these days is shorter.

The 250pro is great. But I liked my D-PREMIER as well.

The paperwork indicates that it is a five year warranty.  BTW, I also really liked my D-Premier.  Decided to go with the update based on the performance of the Pro 220 over the Expert 200.
1, ATC SCM 40 V2 speakers,  SVS PC4000 subwoofer,  Devialet Expert Pro 1000, ,  Ultrasone Edition 15, Ultrasone Edition 15 Veritas,  ,Chord Hugo TT, Magnetar UBR-800, GeerFab DBoB, OTL Headphone amp

Just received a email from Devialet, stating that my D-Premier has been upgraded to a Expert Pro 250 with core infinity. Should have it back early next week. :-)

Interesting observation about stereo vs dual mono on different efficiency speakers. I have exactly the opposite. I had 91dB speakers with one Expert 250, than had the chance to borrow a second one for a week. Wow, I thought I need a second one. In the meantime, I changed the speakers to 87dB ones and eventually got a second Expert 250. When connected, I thought: this much only? I still kept it but was not the best upgrade for the money perhaps.
Win10/HQPlayer / Roon - Uptone Audio Etherregen switch / SOtM-SMS-200 ultra with clock input - Mutec REF 10 clock for the switch and the streamer - Denafrips GAIA DCC - Devialet D800 - YG Acoustics Carmel - Dual Elac SUB-2090 
power supplies: Uptone JS-2, SOtM SPS-500
It's fair to say that single vs. dual Devialet setup results depends on both the speakers and the Devialet models employed. The major take away is that the dual setup may not always result in an audible improvement.

Received the updated 250 Pro today.  Took around 3 weeks for turnaround.  The entire process was very professional,  very smooth.  So to me, the cost was worth the investment.  Need to conduct some listening tests,  but first impressions are quite positive.  I have noticed a difference in sonics between the 220 Pro and 250 Pro.  The 250 Pro does seem to have improved sound characteristics across the board, very impressive.

(28-Mar-2022, 23:46)Redwingnine Wrote: Received the updated 250 Pro today.  Took around 3 weeks for turnaround.  The entire process was very professional,  very smooth.  So to me, the cost was worth the investment.  Need to conduct some listening tests,  but first impressions are quite positive.  I have noticed a difference in sonics between the 220 Pro and 250 Pro.  The 250 Pro does seem to have improved sound characteristics across the board, very impressive.

Congratulations!

I have both 220Pro and 250Pro and found 250Pro sounds significantly better.
It would be very strange if something which is double the price of something else is not "significantly better" Wink

The only really interesting comparison is between 250 Pro and 440 Pro, since the price is the same.
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

(29-Mar-2022, 13:55)Delija Wrote: It would be very strange if something which is double the price of something else is not "significantly better" Wink

The only really interesting comparison is between 250 Pro and 440 Pro, since the price is the same.

Hey, the solid copper plate underneath and in the back has to cost more.  Big Grin

Seriously,  whilst a new 250 Pro is double a 220 Pro, if one already has a D-Premier,  the upgrade cost is actually not unreasonable.  It's actually less expensive to pick up a used D-Premier and send it in for upgrade vs. a new 220 Pro.  

Regarding a single 250 Pro vs. a 440 Pro, don't think that question has a a ready-made easy answer.  The 440 Pro does have better steady state measurements,  but the single 250 Pro has outstanding transient response,  with better power supply thermal characteristics.  It likely comes down to the specific set of speakers being driven as to what setup is actually better.  Some speakers would be better with the 440, while other speakers would better with the 250 Pro.