Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Setting up 120 Expert from scratch
Some background to my dilemma:

I've been using my Devialet Expert 120 for about 6 months now. It's been running Firmware 10.1.0 with SAM at 40% into Kef LS50 Metas and a KC62 subwoofer. Firmware 10.1.1 as it has the SAM for the Metas.

I listen mostly to jazz, and over some time I've grown to find the midrange suppressed somewhat, which has the effect of causing vocals to be softer and recessed. Instrumental does not suffer this. Consequently, I chose to switch off SAM altogether (believing that too much bass was the offending issue). I also reasoned that I may as well return to Firmware 7.1.3, which has a more musical quality (but which I had to forgo as SAM was not available for the Metas). This is where my problem began.

Basically, I forgot how to set up the 120 Expert! 

I inserted a card with 7.1.3 into the 120 and switched on. It loaded .. but now the turntable was not coming up on the controls. I reinserted the 10.1.0 card, and all was back as before ... well, the turntable was back. Then I recalled needing to install the card by turning off all power, inserting the card, and holding down the power button for 4 seconds. I did this with the 7.1.3 card, and the 120 reconfigured itself. Checking with the screen, 7.1.3 is indeed installed. But no turntable! So I switched off, slipped in the 10.1.0 card, and switched on again. The firmware remained at 7.1.3 but the turntable had returned. 

So all is working as it should. The sound is much improved over before. Female voices are back in focus. The turntable is playing - which is notable as the cartridge is a Supex 900 mkIV and has an output of only 0.2 volts (so loading is quite specific). 

I am trying to understand what I have done, or what I need to redo to ensure it is correctly set up (or what to do if I wish to change the firmware).

There are two files. One is the firmware file (i.e. 7.1.3 zip), and the other is dp_cfg.txt, which is the configuration file. How are these meant to be installed? What does one do when changing firmware?

Regards from Perth

Derek
to install a firmware version, you need to unzip the zip file and put its content directly in the root of the memory card. Then you unplug your D120 and plug it back and see the firmware loading.

the dp_cfg.txt is the same gig. Put in in the root of a memory card (if you have only one, delete the firmware files and copy the dp_cfg.txt) and turn off / turn on the D120.
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
(21-Jun-2022, 18:38)Jean-Marie Wrote: to install a firmware version, you need to unzip the zip file and put its content directly in the root of the memory card. Then you unplug your D120 and plug it back and see the firmware loading.

the dp_cfg.txt is the same gig. Put in in the root of a memory card (if you have only one, delete the firmware files and copy the dp_cfg.txt) and turn off / turn on the D120.

Thanks Jean-Marie

Does it matter which order the cards go in?

If changing the firmware version, do you need just use the firmware card? Ditto changing configuration - just use the config card? Or always do both?

Regards from Perth

Derek
The card with firmware on, needs to be inserted only once. The firmware get copied.

On the other hand, the card with the dp_cfg.txt needs to be permanently in the D120. If there is no card, the D120 returns to the default config.
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
Thank you once again Jean-Marie. That answers my questions.

Regards from Perth

Derek
A little follow up. I checked the card in the slot (which I thought was for firmware 10.1.0). It was the configuration file. That explains why the phono returned when it was inserted. It also reveals that the setup reverted to the original factory configuration without the card (or with just the firmware 7.1.3 card inserted). Clearly, the original factory configuration does not set up the phono.

So, summary: after switching off the amp, first insert the firmware card and switch on the amp. This will install the firmware. Second, then insert the configuration card. 

Regards from Perth

Derek
One other minor point, but it is important to always clear the SD card and empty the trash at least, before putting a new config file onto it. Some persons even reformat the card, though I've never done that or had a problem. But a clean empty SD card is essential to avoid funny issues when changing the set up of the amp.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
https://devialetchat.com/Thread-How-to-c...l-s-method
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(22-Jun-2022, 06:30)Jean-Marie Wrote: The card with firmware on, needs to be inserted only once. The firmware get copied.

On the other hand, the card with the dp_cfg.txt needs to be permanently in the D120. If there is no card, the D120 returns to the default config.

@Jean-Marie's statement that the card with the configuration file on it needs to be permanently in the D120 is not quite correct, nor is the statement that without the card the amp returns to the default factory configuration. In practice, however, you would leave the card permanently in the slot as he suggests unless you want to load a different configuration file or update the firmware.

The reason for this is that the amp loads its configuration during startup and the configuration it loads remains active until the amplifier is turned off or a restart occurs. During startup the amp checks whether a card with a configuration file is present in the card slot and if a card is there the amp loads the configuration file from the card, otherwise it loads the factory configuration. If you start the amp with a card in the slot you can remove the card and your configuration will remain active while the amp remains on but if you turn the amp off and do not insert a card with a configuration file on it before turning the amp on again the amp will start up in factory configuration when you turn it on.

But let's say the amp is in factory configuration because you turned it on without a card in the slot or you started the amp with a card in the slot and then removed the card so the card slot is vacant while the amp is on. If you insert a card with a configuration file in the slot while the amp is on the amp will immediately turn off and restart  loading the configuration in the card you just inserted.

So, if you aren't going to change your configuration or update your firmware, leave the card with your configuration file on it in the card slot as @Jean-Marie said. Your configuration will then always load automatically whenever you turn the amp on. Just don't put a card in the slot while the amp is on unless you want to restart the amp with the configuration on the card you're inserting
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
(24-Jun-2022, 10:02)David A Wrote:
(22-Jun-2022, 06:30)Jean-Marie Wrote: The card with firmware on, needs to be inserted only once. The firmware get copied.

@Jean-Marie's statement that the card with the configuration file on it needs to be permanently in the D120 is not quite correct, nor is the statement that without the card the amp returns to the default factory configuration. In practice, however, you would leave the card permanently in the slot as he suggests unless you want to load a different configuration file or update the firmware.

The reason for this is that the amp loads its configuration during startup and the configuration it loads remains active until the amplifier is turned off or a restart occurs. During startup the amp checks whether a card with a configuration file is present in the card slot and if a card is there the amp loads the configuration file from the card, otherwise it loads the factory configuration. If you start the amp with a card in the slot you can remove the card and your configuration will remain active while the amp remains on but if you turn the amp off and do not insert a card with a configuration file on it before turning the amp on again the amp will start up in factory configuration when you turn it on.

But let's say the amp is in factory configuration because you turned it on without a card in the slot or you started the amp with a card in the slot and then removed the card so the card slot is vacant while the amp is on. If you insert a card with a configuration file in the slot while the amp is on the amp will immediately turn off and restart  loading the configuration in the card you just inserted.

So, if you aren't going to change your configuration or update your firmware, leave the card with your configuration file on it in the card slot as @Jean-Marie said. Your configuration will then always load automatically whenever you turn the amp on. Just don't put a card in the slot while the amp is on unless you want to restart the amp with the configuration on the card you're inserting

yes @David A is correct, I did a shortcut by only considering states persisting an on/off operation.

Jean-Marie
France