Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should I get a Nuc+Roon or anything else?
Hello,

I got a used Expert 120 last week, when I bought it I was thinking that I could use the Expert as a network player, but I realized that it is possible with CI 140. So, now I am planning to buy a Nuc and set up ROCK in it. Do you agree with that? If yes, should I get a DAC or use Expert's DAC?
Other question is about the connection, should I connect via ethernet (AIR) or USB?

Or do you recommend something another?

Thanks
Efe
(22-Apr-2019, 22:31)efe Wrote: Hello,

I got a used Expert 120 last week, when I bought it I was thinking that I could use the Expert as a network player, but I realized that it is possible with CI 140. So, now I am planning to buy a Nuc and set up ROCK in it. Do you agree with that? If yes, should I get a DAC or use Expert's DAC?
Other question is about the connection, should I connect via ethernet (AIR) or USB?

Or do you recommend something another?

Thanks
Efe

There are a lot of choices for servers/streaming devices, and a lot of software choices to go with them. If you go the NUC/ROCK route I think you'll have to use Roon which means you will also have to factor in the cost of a Roon subscription. It's a good choice if you want to use Roon.

Your question about which DAC to use is going to be relevant to any server/streamer choice you make if the device includes a DAC. If you use the device's DAC and connect to the  Devialet's analog inputs the first thing that is going to happen is the Devialet is going to convert the analog signal back to digital and it's going to end up going through the Devialet's DAC a bit later in the signal path. With a Devialet you can't avoid using the Devialet's DAC. I prefer to avoid unnecessary analog to digital conversions which are then going to be converted back to analog by a second DAC so I would connect whatever device you choose to the Devialet via either ethernet or USB so that the signal remains in the digital domain until it reaches the Devialet's DAC.  That's my preference but you may prefer using the Devialet's analog inputs. Try both ways if you like and see which you prefer. There's no cost involved if the server/streamer you choose has both analog and digital outputs.

Ethernet vs USB: some manufacturers have a preference and Roon prefer ethernet. Some listeners have a preference for one input over the other. There is a small difference in sound to my ears and I prefer ethernet with Roon. If you have both options, try both and see which you prefer.

There is no "one size fits all" answer to these questions. You can use either analog or digital input to the Devialet, you can use either ethernet or USB or even optical or coax SPDIF if your chosen server/streamer has those outputs. Some devices do better with some outputs than with others but some people also have their own preferences. There's no method which suits everyone. Try whatever options you like and pick the one which you prefer, after all you're looking for a result you like so you should be taking your own preferences into account.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
@David A is correct.... you have a lot of options but don't let it confuse you. With Devialet and Roon, there is a simple and expedient path to start with. The Devialet has an excellent DAC so I would absolutely go with that. This is one of the primary strengths with Devialet. If you like Roon (and I think it's a match made in heaven with Devialet), then go with Roon AIR via ethernet to start. It's simple, it works and it sound great. I personally run Roon under Win 10 on a PC, but my next step will be to buy a NUC and use ROCK. That seems like an excellent choice that should also be simple to get up and running.

If you go with a NUC and place it close to your Devialet, then deciding on ethernet or USB will be an easy comparison to make. But if you prefer to locate your NUC elsewhere (e.g. close to your router in another room perhaps), then Roon AIR via ethernet will likely prove to be the easiest and best choice.

Of course, once you get it working and get a sense of what it sounds like (your room, your speakers, your music, your ears ;-), then you can consider alternate approaches.

Enjoy!
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
+1 to @David A and @mdconnelly ... excellent advice !
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
Like everyone else, I'd stay with Devialet's internal DAC, for sure!

My experience with Roon/Nucleus was not so favourable. Everything worked fine, no problem, but I thought the sound of the Nucleus was flat and uninvolving. In the end, I sold my Nucleus and went with Auralic's Aries Femto. This combination did the job perfectly well: very smooth, clean and analog like sound. Beat the Nucleus hands down. I am gearing up for an Auralic Aries G1.
SonicTransporter i5 - AirPort Extreme - Devialet Expert 120 - ATC SCM 19 v1
I would agree, if on a budget get a used Aries, Aries Mini or Innuos Zen Mk2. Add an external PSU to the Aries if not included. Don't worry about getting an Aries from anywhere in the world, you can get a power supply locally, but Innuos works off mains voltage.
250 Pro CI; Innuos Zen Mk3; Claro dual turntable (Expert Stylus Denon + OL Aladdin Mk2); RCM Sensor2; Wilson Sabrina; OePhi speaker cables; Puritan PM156 conditioner and Ultimate cables.
Thank you all. I am looking for network players such as Auralic but they are expensive here in my country, if I can find for a good price I will go with a network player unless I will prefer Nuc.