Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should I go for more?
Hi all

After 2 years owning a Phantom Premier Good but rarely using it, I recently add one to create a stereo pair and experienced that “wow it’s soooo much better” that everyone describes. Been listening to more music than ever before, rediscovering my vinyl collection, becoming impatient to get RAAT implemented like many... so, happy.

But, I am starting to wonder if I should add 1... or maybe 2? 

I know audiophiles will alway prefer a frontal stereo set up. But I am not only listening to music sitting in my sofa facing the speakers. And when I move around I feel that I am missing out a bit. 

To those of you who own multiple phantoms... is adding one fills the room with a more “enveloping’ feel? Is only one damaging the stereo? Should I go for 2 to protect the stereo? 

I guess my question is: is it worth it as much as adding the second one to create a pair? I’m tempted but I have that inner little voice that says “it’s just insane to add more”.

The room is not immense, 60square meters. 

Would welcome any input. 

Thx!
Hi Rma,

I was also curious to test that and I added another Gold (which I anyway have in another room) to my stereo Gold setup.
I set it up as center speaker and also as rear speaker.

I tried it for a couple of hours but then took it away again.
It destroys the soundstage. It destroys the clear stereo image. Dependent on the setup it also harms the "relaxation" which you have when just listening to a properly set up pair of Golds. I was not able to find any track/scenario (when listening to music) where this improved the listening experience.

A clear: stick to a stereo set up from my side.
(29-Dec-2020, 12:41)Bbnsound Wrote: Hi Rma,

I was also curious to test that and I added another Gold (which I anyway have in another room) to my stereo Gold setup.
I set it up as center speaker and also as rear speaker. 

I tried it for a couple of hours but then took it away again.
It destroys the soundstage. It destroys the clear stereo image. Dependent on the setup it also harms the "relaxation" which you have when just listening to a properly set up pair of Golds. I was not able to find any track/scenario (when listening to music) where this improved the listening experience.

A clear: stick to a stereo set up from my side.
@Bbnsound thank you for your reply.

I must say I was hoping someone would say that :-) thanks for sharing your experience.
(29-Dec-2020, 14:52)Rma Wrote: @Bbnsound thank you for your reply.

I must say I was hoping someone would say that :-) thanks for sharing your experience.

So, then maybe I should not reply. Angel

I’m using 3 Phantoms in a room simultaneously, two in front and one from rear. The rear Phantom is set as mix. Sitting in the couch the back rest prevents from hearing the tweeters from the rear Phantom. Therefore the stereo image is not altered. Walking around in the room the sound stays more constant than only having 2 speakers in the front. And during parties there is more SPL, which is also nice for listening to live albums. Then in terms of bass, there is a similar effect with multiple Phantoms as Floyd Toole describes and recommends regarding subwoofers. It handles room modes better than only having one or two woofers. And for serious listening I can always turn the 3rd Phantom off. Important is only that you place all Phantoms well and maybe check it with a mic for resonances. Also, I’m not shy to use room correction filters.
(29-Dec-2020, 16:37)streamy Wrote:
(29-Dec-2020, 14:52)Rma Wrote: @Bbnsound thank you for your reply.

So, then maybe I should not reply. Angel

I’m using 3 Phantoms in a room simultaneously, two in front and one from rear. The rear Phantom is set as mix. Sitting in the couch the back rest prevents from hearing the tweeters from the rear Phantom. Therefore the stereo image is not altered. Walking around in the room the sound stays more constant than only having 2 speakers in the front. And during parties there is more SPL, which is also nice for listening to live albums. Then in terms of bass, there is a similar effect with multiple Phantoms as Floyd Toole describes and recommends regarding subwoofers. It handles room modes better than only having one or two woofers. And for serious listening I can always turn the 3rd Phantom off. Important is only that you place all Phantoms well and maybe check it with a mic for resonances. Also, I’m not shy to use room correction filters.
Thx @streamy :-) I may get tempted... although my fear is that I will end up adding a 4th soon enough... I may try to challenge myself and enjoy what I have for now.
More is more, go for four!
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
Go for 5 and setup a Phantom 5.5 Home Theater :-)
6 x Phantom Gold, 3 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900, Symetrix Radius AEC-2, 2 x JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Dante
(05-Jan-2021, 02:19)njaiswal Wrote: Go for 5 and setup a Phantom 5.5 Home Theater :-)

Haha don’t tempt me 😈
I must say the home theater seems to be a bit of a hassle to set up... it looks like a lot of cables/app hacks/ and I am not sure I am ready for that, given that I also chose Phantom for their simplify. (Admittedly they probably went too far on the simplicity side)

I have a Seenheiser Ambeo soundbar that delivers quite well, obviously nothing compared to the music quality of the phantom.

@njaiswal you seem to be convinced... is it working well for you?
(05-Jan-2021, 09:18)Rma Wrote: @njaiswal you seem to be convinced... is it working well for you?
Njaiswal is the king of HT on the forum!  Big Grin

Picture of his setup in this post
https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Advice-f...0#pid89370

Diagram of setup
https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Phantom-...6#pid85786

And he has used Bluesound Node 2i to setup multi room Phantoms....
(05-Jan-2021, 09:18)Rma Wrote:
(05-Jan-2021, 02:19)njaiswal Wrote: Go for 5 and setup a Phantom 5.5 Home Theater :-)

Haha don’t tempt me 😈
I must say the home theater seems to be a bit of a hassle to set up... it looks like a lot of cables/app hacks/ and I am not sure I am ready for that, given that I also chose Phantom for their simplify. (Admittedly they probably went too far on the simplicity side)

I have a Seenheiser Ambeo soundbar that delivers quite well, obviously nothing compared to the music quality of the phantom.

@njaiswal you seem to be convinced... is it working well for you?

Do it!!! You won't regret it.  I'm sold on the speakers. I have them everywhere in the house.  They are really a bargain when you consider the sound quality of the speakers. :-)
6 x Phantom Gold, 3 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900, Symetrix Radius AEC-2, 2 x JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Dante