Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Small computer for Roon core with optical out
I am using two old 2014 MacMinis for running the core, with optical to the Phantoms (in one room) and optical to Expert 1000 Pro (in the other room). The Mini also runs Dirac DRC.

Unfortunately, more recent MacMinis don't have an optical output anymore. I like optical because it allows hirez and isolates from galvanic noise.

Can you recommend any small computer that is powerful enough for DRC and has an optical out?
Stream directly to the Expert by connecting it to Ethernet. No need for optical, no need for a second computer too.
(20-Apr-2023, 17:03)Mohmm Wrote: I am using two old 2014 MacMinis for running the core, with optical to the Phantoms (in one room) and optical to Expert 1000 Pro (in the other room). The Mini also runs Dirac DRC.

Unfortunately, more recent MacMinis don't have an optical output anymore. I like optical because it allows hirez and isolates from galvanic noise.

Can you recommend any small computer that is powerful enough for DRC and has an optical out?

Try Roon. Install Roon server on any computer, and Roon client on your mobile (iPhone), connect Devialet on the same router, and stream on Devialet since Devialet is Roon Ready and it works great. $15/month
A) Devialet Expert 220 Pro CI, Audioquest NRG-Z3 — B) Pass Labs XA 30.8, Lampizator Amber V4.0, Innuos Pulse, Dynaudio Evoke 50,  Ansuz PowerSwitch X-TC, WireWorld power cables
if the PC does at least have an electrical SPDIF out I can recommend the ifi SPDIF Purifier 2. It can convert from electrical to optical (and vice versa) and can also improve the signal quality with a good PS. Costs around 200€/$