Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Small system with Devialet 250/Focal Diablo Utopias - worth upgrading to 800?
Hi Guys. I've had my Focal Diablos and Devialet 250 for about 9 months now, and I'm really enjoying it. In the next month or so I have to option to upgrade to the 800 at a discounted price from my vendor. I was wondering if there is a big improvement in going dual mono on a system with smaller speakers? I would like a little bit more power, but I don't really need the huge increase the 800 provides. Is the upgrade in sounds quality all that huge?

Chris
Get a demo at home and listen for yourself. I personally won't buy anything costing over £1000 without a home demo. I have both heard improvements I did not expect and no change when I expected one so not worth relying on expectations IME.
In my case I heard a difference between a single D-Premier and two in dual mono configuration into my Goldmund speakers but when I got the update to 800 I heard no difference between D-Premier and 240 or the 240 and 800 into my Tune Audio Animas, or at least not one I noticed on auditioning for a few hours.
If there is one, in my system, it is negligible compared to the difference in recording quality between CDs, for example.
Only you can evaluate whether there is any difference in your system, and if so if the difference is worth the money to you.
For me it was worthwhile with my Goldmund speakers but not with my Tune Audios.

IME smaller speakers are less efficient than big ones and often a tougher load too.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(24-Nov-2014, 11:28)f1eng Wrote: Get a demo at home and listen for yourself. I personally won't buy anything costing over £1000 without a home demo. I have both heard improvements I did not expect and no change when I expected one so not worth relying on expectations IME.
In my case I heard a difference between a single D-Premier and two in dual mono configuration into my Goldmund speakers but when I got the update to 800 I heard no difference between D-Premier and 240 or the 240 and 800 into my Tune Audio Animas, or at least not one I noticed on auditioning for a few hours.
If there is one, in my system, it is negligible compared to the difference in recording quality between CDs, for example.
Only you can evaluate whether there is any difference in your system, and if so if the difference is worth the money to you.
For me it was worthwhile with my Goldmund speakers but not with my Tune Audios.

IME smaller speakers are less efficient than big ones and often a tougher load too.

Might just do that. Thanks for the advice Smile
Have you thought of the 400? I can't see the extra 400W of an 800 making much difference on Diablos and you would save a bomb
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(25-Nov-2014, 01:00)Pim van Vliet Wrote: Have you thought of the 400? I can't see the extra 400W of an 800 making much difference on Diablos and you would save a bomb

Nar, would have been a good idea when I bought it, but would be a sideways move now I think. Think I'll try and get another 250 on loan and give it a try.
Hi Chrish!

I have no experience between the 250 and 800 but I have the 200 and recently had another 200 home for a 400 setup one weekend. I´m also using the Diablos.

The difference between the 200 and 400 was IMO pretty big. Even more transparent and noticeable more power, this was pretty obvious at low volume where the 200 felt a bit "thin" sometimes (compared to my old Plinius Hautonga). Voices felt even more natural and the bass got a bit faster and tighter. I´m running SAM at 50% with my 200 because at 100% the bass feels a bit soft and boomy. I´m being very critical now, the 200 sounds great with the Diablos but the 400 Dual Mono however made a big improvement. The 200 have always sounded great at electronic music, but perhaps missed a tad of glow in voices etc of the Hautonga, the 400 brought most of that back.

Johan
(25-Nov-2014, 18:56)Atomjohan Wrote: Hi Chrish!

I have no experience between the 250 and 800 but I have the 200 and recently had another 200 home for a 400 setup one weekend. I´m also using the Diablos.

The difference between the 200 and 400 was IMO pretty big. Even more transparent and noticeable more power, this was pretty obvious at low volume where the 200 felt a bit "thin" sometimes (compared to my old Plinius Hautonga). Voices felt even more natural and the bass got a bit faster and tighter. I´m running SAM at 50% with my 200 because at 100% the bass feels a bit soft and boomy. I´m being very critical now, the 200 sounds great with the Diablos but the 400 Dual Mono however made a big improvement. The 200 have always sounded great at electronic music, but perhaps missed a tad of glow in voices etc of the Hautonga, the 400 brought most of that back.

Johan

Thanks Johan. This is really helpful info. I was thinking the same thing that the Devialet is a bit thin sounding at lower volume (could be the speakers though I guess). Think I'm gonna try another 250 and see if the upgrade it worthwhile Smile
(25-Nov-2014, 21:50)chrish Wrote:
(25-Nov-2014, 18:56)Atomjohan Wrote: [...]
The difference between the 200 and 400 was IMO pretty big. Even more transparent and noticeable more power, this was pretty obvious at low volume where the 200 felt a bit "thin" sometimes (compared to my old Plinius Hautonga).

Thanks Johan. This is really helpful info. I was thinking the same thing that the Devialet is a bit thin sounding at lower volume (could be the speakers though I guess).

I'm very interested by these comments, because they match my experience exactly. (See my sig below.) I find the sound at low volumes rather thin and weedy. But if I crank up the volume, it sounds transcendentally wonderful. I'd assumed it was a problem I could address with a bit of FR tweaking, maybe a lack of lower mid-range oomph. But experience suggests not.

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
This discussion is really whetting my appetite for trying the 400...
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
There are good reasons why dual mono should sound better, and it's not all about raw power. The configuration of the amp is changed in mono mode (rather alarmingly, you connect both of the speaker cables to the red terminals). It was explained to me by one of Devialet's engineers that this dual mono set up effectively halves distortion, so it is qualitatively better. For me, the dual mono sounds more "hi resolution", or "less grain" might describe it. It's almost as if you have a better DAC, although this is just how it sounds to me, the DAC is unchanged.

A home demo is a must I think, then it's up to you if it's worth the cash!

One point to note, I'm often surprised by just how good my system sounds when running very quietly, although this is with KEF Blades, so may not translate with other speaker characteristics.