Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sonos Connect Modified
I just sold my Auralic Altair.  I have been reading a lot of positive results with the Sonos Connect.  I just   discovered this unit and thought it may be a great addition. My golds are not here yet, back ordered.  I will probably add this to get the best results from my NAS.  I will post a review then.

https://wyred4sound.com/products/upgrade...t-modified
(07-Sep-2016, 22:00)Scubadon Wrote: I just sold my Auralic Altair.  I have been reading a lot of positive results with the Sonos Connect.  I just   discovered this unit and thought it may be a great addition. My golds are not here yet, back ordered.  I will probably add this to get the best results from my NAS.  I will post a review then.

https://wyred4sound.com/products/upgrade...t-modified

Hi

The upgrade will not allow to play hi- res files...
Why not trying the cheaper option by using the raspberry pi with hifiberry board...and Moode player...
Cheap, easy to configure...and excellent...
I have got two and they are fabulous...
 Angenet. 
  5 Silver Phantoms (2 stereo and 3 solo in 3 rooms). 4 Raspberry Pi 3b with Hifiberry digi + boards connected to four Phantoms. 1 Dialog with Airplay, Roon Lifetime Membership for perfect group play. Qobuz sublime, Tidal Hifi,  1 NAS Qnap tS-210 Pro. Location: West Yorkshire, UK.
Try looking into Denon Heos for hi-res audio. I was told it plays hi-res
Magna Hifi in the Netherlands modifies the Sonos Connect as well. With an excellent result, I can tell you from my own personal experience.

http://www.magnahifi.com/en/webshop/prod...son-ultimo

It's possible to modify an existing Sonos Connect or to buy an already modified new one.
■ Devialet 1000 Pro & Roon Lifetime ■ Dynaudio Sapphire ■ Streacom fanless HTPC-SSD (W8.1) ■ Sonos  Connect (+Magna Ultimo mod) ■ Qobuz Studio  Qnap TS 219 P II ■ v.d. Hul The Revolution LS cables ■ PS Audio Quintet ■ picture: Sony VPL-HW65ES & LG-OLED65C9
Amsterdam NL
What does a Sonos Connect do better than an Airport Express ? besides the iOS app. Is it more stable ? better quality audio although both do 16bit 44.1 right ?
(08-Sep-2016, 14:24)Olivier4444 Wrote: What does a Sonos Connect do better than an Airport Express ? besides the iOS app. Is it more stable ? better quality audio although both do 16bit 44.1 right ?

According to the review, the modified Sonos Connect upsamplese to 24/196.
Those MagnahifiMods to the Connect are on the coax SPDIF only and they disable the optical so it will be useless with Phantoms. The W4S mod is 24/96 only, otherwise should be fine.
(13-Sep-2016, 01:17)stevec Wrote: Those MagnahifiMods to the Connect are on the coax SPDIF only and they disable the optical so it will be useless with Phantoms. The W4S mod is 24/96 only, otherwise should be fine.

For €25 an optional upgrade to the Optical output is available from Magna HiFi.

In their words, Optical Tolsink output modified as good as the new coax SPDIF output.
Soooo, after a few days with streaming with Tidal, and the results with sound quality just using dialog, I think I am not going to worry about any streamer. I am not even going to worry about the NAS, or the Cd's (4,000) of them. That is how impressed with 2 golds, dialog, and tidal.

This may change in the future, but for now I am happy. My next investment will probably 3 more golds once they get the 5.5 update out for dislog. Probably take me a year anyways to save up for this.

Anyway, I am very happy for now...