Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sonos Connect -> Room Correction (?) -> Phantom Golds
Hi All,

Since 1 week I have 2 phantom golds, dialog, tree and remote.

Don't like Spark at all so I put a Sonos Connect in the chain via optical on one of the phantoms (dialog is a no go till they fix the crackling noise...).

Works like a charm (you can put the volume to fixed in the Sonos ios app and still control volume with Spark or remote).  Sonos ios app is, for now, in a different kind of league then Spark.

This setup gives me the opportunity to put a (hardware) room correction in the chain as well.

In doubt between a Dirac DDRC22D or Anti-Mode 2.0.

The Dirac needs a pc for (one time) setup but seems to be a more advanced room correction solution. No auto setup.  You have to buy a specific version depending on your needs.  In this setup optical in/out so obliged to buy 22D (will never be able to use the Dirac for rca sources in another system).

The Anti-Mode is a standalone unit (no pc needed) and can run auto equalisation.  However, I don't need the dac/pre amp which is part of the box.  You can connect multiple sources...digital/rca.

Feel free to share your experience or advice to help me choose Smile
What springs to mind is the variable latency (not sure if this is called a variable constant or a constant variable) of between 80ms and 120ms Devialet seem to have been quoted here in support questions re Phantoms. Not sure what changes the latency - is it random or input sample rate etc? Anyway, my guess is this may have an effect and possibly scupper your plans as something like Dirac measures latency and accounts for it. If it's not constant (or should I say consistent) with your source material, then it might be pretty tricky to use it.

I don't have Phsntoms and have never used Antimode, this is purely guesswork - although I have used Dirac. You only need the cheaper version for 2ch. Rodney Gold uses the smaller miniDSP boxes I believe so I think you can bypass Dirac and use REW if you want a cheaper starting point for experiments.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Thank you very much for raising these points of attention and a cheaper route Smile. Before raising this topic I have been in touch with a couple of Anti-Mode/Phantom users and they confirmed that it works with great results.