Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sound like a 2:1 not Full Range speakers...IMO
HI everybody
I just listened Poem of Chinese Drum as adviced by Jamington2004 it was amazing and i have to say that the air in my room was vibrating and it was 50 only.

But
I have to agree with MC Chicken on some tracks the phantoms pairs are rendering the music differently as in tusk from Fleetwood mac
it seems that the Dialog mix voices and sound at its own way.
(12-Mar-2016, 10:24)lahyene Wrote: HI everybody
I just listened Poem of Chinese Drum as adviced by Jamington2004  it was amazing  and i have to say that the air in my room was vibrating and it was 50 only.

But
I have to agree with MC Chicken  on some tracks the phantoms pairs are rendering the music differently as in tusk from Fleetwood mac
it seems that the Dialog mix voices and sound at its own  way.

How are you determining that Tusk is sounding different? Have you got another system playing the exact same source version (i.e. FLAC file on two systems, TIDAL on two systems). I will test this later with my Kef vs Phantom systems.
(10-Mar-2016, 12:04)McChicken Wrote: - Samson For President, the Kick-drum and it's companion the bass should get you into the laid-back groove, but the drums sounds like they are made out of plastic.
- James Blake, when the Sub-bass sound comes in his voice does not sound normal anymore.
- Ronny Jordan ( 1993), here the Bass line IS the song and it is not presented as the main part
- Tom Mish, here there should be a clearly pumping bass and that is lacking
- Whilk & Misky, here they have produced a bass and beat sound that is like an "implosion" so instead of hitting your should feel "sucked-into" the groove.
- Nao, there is no "body "
- Benji Hughes, here the drums really sound like they're made out of plastic.
- Ibeyi, this is a VERY physical song with the massive deep hit, but it's lacking.

Would love to hear your objective opinion

I had a listen through your playlist and I am now even more convinced that your speaker placement may be affecting what you are hearing as I am hearing the very things you say are lacking. The physicality of a lot of those tracks is quite obvious and I was almost getting fatigued working through the list due to othe intensity of the bass lines! The only one which I agreed with was Benji Hughes where you said the drums sounded plastic, so I then went and checked it on my Kef Reference system and found they sounded plastic there too...so I think that is just that track.
(12-Mar-2016, 14:28)jonstatt Wrote:
(10-Mar-2016, 12:04)McChicken Wrote: Would love to hear your objective opinion

I had a listen through your playlist and I am now even more convinced that your speaker placement may be affecting what you are hearing as I am hearing the very things you say are lacking. The physicality of a lot of those tracks is quite obvious and I was almost getting fatigued working through the list due to othe intensity of the bass lines! The only one which I agreed with was Benji Hughes where you said the drums sounded plastic, so I then went and checked it on my Kef Reference system and found they sounded plastic there too...so I think that is just that track.

I also do have some other good setups that I use for reference, and yes its a bass heavy list but what makes me the most "ear tires" is actually the dominant sub-bass that comes out of my Phantoms at the moment. Will when I have time connect my DSPeaker room correction device and see if it makes its magic on these speakers as well. But I had my hopes that I was going to use the Phantoms as is..without tweaks ans devices, as I would like to have a multiroom solution as I have with Sonos...( cant use the Sonos in conjunction due to the time lag the Phantoms do have)
Devialet Silver Phantoms pair + Dialog, will be connected through DSPeaker 2.0 ( DSP / Room-Correction) and hopped-up G-sonos. ( thinking of ROON) "Retiring" Goldmund / JOB225 Amp, Antony Gallo Reference 3.5. Keeping Active Bang & Olufsen Beolabs in different rooms connected to Sonos.
[quote pid='37151' dateline='1457799330']

I also do have some other good setups that I use for reference, and yes its a bass heavy list but what makes me the most "ear tires" is actually the dominant sub-bass that comes out of my Phantoms at the moment. Will when I have time connect my DSPeaker room correction device and see if it makes its magic on these speakers as well. But I had my hopes that I was going to use the Phantoms as is..without tweaks ans devices, as I would like to have a multiroom solution as I have with Sonos...( cant use the Sonos in conjunction due to the time lag the Phantoms do have)
[/quote]

I too have the dSpeaker but have not found time to set up yet. I believe that once I get bass management under better control and perhaps do a bass cutoff at around 25 hz, I will have even better clarity/transient/articulation.  Just a hunch but will report back.
(12-Mar-2016, 23:31)MountainGuy Wrote: I too have the dSpeaker but have not found time to set up yet. I believe that once I get bass management under better control and perhaps do a bass cutoff at around 25 hz, I will have even better clarity/transient/articulation.  Just a hunch but will report back.

Great ...see who get to try the DSPeaker room correction / EQ filtering first, Im very positive that at will do what it is supposed to do but as I said I wanted to achieve a slicker setup w/o so much gear. But on the other hand the majority of Phantom owners have no complaints when it comes to sound quality...and they can counter with who am I talking who to +90% use low res Spotify as source, but IMO Spotify is not what causes the 2:1 sound I experience
Devialet Silver Phantoms pair + Dialog, will be connected through DSPeaker 2.0 ( DSP / Room-Correction) and hopped-up G-sonos. ( thinking of ROON) "Retiring" Goldmund / JOB225 Amp, Antony Gallo Reference 3.5. Keeping Active Bang & Olufsen Beolabs in different rooms connected to Sonos.
McChicken, I could only say that you should try placing Phantoms below ear level (given it's 10° upward pointing angle). It sounds way better when installed on something that reminds Devialet Tree (ex-branch stand), which is 60cm in height. Also, changing music source often helps a lot. While I was settling with my Phantoms, I've been using bluetooth for the first day, then I switched to optical source and to Tidal with high-res subscription. After that it felt as whole different level of setup.
(14-Mar-2016, 10:03)dmitrek Wrote: McChicken, I could only say that you should try placing Phantoms below ear level (given it's 10° upward pointing angle). It sounds way better when installed on something that reminds Devialet Tree (ex-branch stand), which is 60cm in height.

Dmitrek,
they are on same height solid 62cm stands
Today I got my Branch stands and after mounting them and slightly changed positioning of the speakers (3 ft) I can hear a good improvement, it is to early to say if I got the mid-bass that I'm looking for, but the overly aggressive sub-bass have been toned down the more the speakers are burned in. Happy anyway that sound is improving
I agree with the OP.  My Phantoms are on stands and I have tried various positionings.  On some recordings (especially modern sub-bass heavy stuff, they sound incredible).  But I think that they lack warmth and fullness when playing well recorded classic rock (it's not an oxymoron, there is some).  Beatles and Neil Young/Buffalo Springfield, Little Feat's Waiting for Columbus, Stones and others don't have the depth, warmth fullness and the sense of space, warmth airiness and involvement when the same source material is played through my Phantoms as they do through my Paradigm/Anthem rig. (Which frankly is good hi-fi but not exceptional hi-fi). 

However, a two speaker Phantom system eclipses anything in the $5,000 range.  But I would like my sound to be a little more immersive. I was considering adding a second pair of Phantoms ( my room is roughly 25' X 30').  I am not sure if the Phantom's value proposition stands when talking about a 4 Phantom set-up vs. a well selected system which could partially be composed of high quality slightly used components (i.e. What  one could reasonably put together for $10,000).