Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sound Quality: Geckos or Trees?
I am an owner of a single Silver Phantom but am now interested in buying an additional one. Currently, I have the Phantom placed on a TV-bench beneath my TV, but as I am getting an additional one I am debating whether to place the Phantoms on Trees on either side of the TV or if I should hang them on Geckos on either side close to the ceiling in the corners of the room.

With limited space (I live in a quite small apartment) I would have to place the two Trees at 120 cm from each other (the width of my 55" TV). With the Phantoms placed on Geckos, the distance between would instead be 4 meters up in the ceiling of the room. I am now wondering what you guys would think would provide the best sound quality in terms of sound stage etc? I have not found any good information on how flexible the Geckos are in terms of pointing the direction of the Phantom - are they adjustable in both X and Y axis?

Thankful for any input and help you guys might have!
(26-Oct-2016, 21:04)Juuniq Wrote: I am an owner of a single Silver Phantom but am now interested in buying an additional one. Currently, I have the Phantom placed on a TV-bench beneath my TV, but as I am getting an additional one I am debating whether to place the Phantoms on Trees on either side of the TV or if I should hang them on Geckos on either side close to the ceiling in the corners of the room.

With limited space (I live in a quite small apartment) I would have to place the two Trees at 120 cm from each other (the width of my 55" TV). With the Phantoms placed on Geckos, the distance between would instead be 4 meters up in the ceiling of the room. I am now wondering what you guys would think would provide the best sound quality in terms of sound stage etc? I have not found any good information on how flexible the Geckos are in terms of pointing the direction of the Phantom - are they adjustable in both X and Y axis?

Thankful for any input and help you guys might have!

I'd be inclined to wall mount them on Geckos. Move them out of the corners though, otherwise you might find that the bass becomes overbearing.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
Are either available from Devialet currently? Online, they seem to be out of stock.
(27-Oct-2016, 06:21)MountainGuy Wrote: Are either available from Devialet currently?  Online, they seem to be out of stock.

The Devialet store has them £169 a piece.

@Juuniq, it might be a good idea to try different positions for them l.e closer together. I appreciate that this is difficult at height, but if you space them out at ear level, it might give you a good idea for the permanent position higher up. Smile
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
What country are you in Juuniq? Can you get them shipped from France?

Edit: in answer to your earlier question, I think they are only adjustable in the vertical plane. Rolleyes
Edit 2: I'm wrong there, according to the website, they are adjustable horizontally to 45 degrees.
South Coast England
Thanks for the quick replies!

I'm leaning towards wall mounting them now instead. I live in Sweden and the local dealer have the Trees in stock (not sure about the geckos yet).
Hi, I hung my phantoms to the wall earlier this year, after using them on some mounts for a bit of time. First thing is that the soundstage is elevated to the height of the phantoms, which makes it uncommon to listen to music which plays in about 2 m height. The sound itself was reduced in bass performance which is due to mount and listening position.
I would prefer the trees now since I had a beautiful soundstage before but the second aspect for the Geckos is the relatively safe place on the wall in contrast to the placement on the mounts/trees, especially since they were placed beside a walking route.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
(28-Oct-2016, 11:47)Krisp Wrote: Hi, I hung my phantoms to the wall earlier this year, after using them on some mounts for a bit of time. First thing is that the soundstage is elevated to the height of the phantoms, which makes it uncommon to listen to music which plays in about 2 m height. The sound itself was reduced in bass performance which is due to mount and listening position.
I would prefer the trees now since I had a beautiful soundstage before but the second aspect for the Geckos is the relatively safe place on the wall in contrast to the placement on the mounts/trees, especially since they were placed beside a walking route.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Thanks, super relevant input! I figured it would be different having them mounted that high. The added security of having them out of way for people walking close by is an advantage though as you say. Tough one, I'll update with what I ended up with when I have decided.