Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sound comparison Devialet Roon input vica Devialet with separate streamer with Roon
I have now done all the software upgrades needed and done an AB testing with the Devialet Roon input connected with Ethernet cable to a switch then to my QNAP NAS, and compared this to my existing Auralic Aries Streamer (the version with upgraded PS) which is connected to Devialet Pro 1000 with an USB cable.

Both inputs are connected to the same QNAP NAS with a Roon Core Server "ROCK" installed, and I have integrated TIDAL through the Roon Software.

To my big surprise I experience that the soundstage is much better/clearer and more depth and dynamics on the Auralic Aries Streamer. When I switch to the Devialet Roon input, I feel that the music sounds poorer, less soundstage compared to the Auralic Aries set up.

Have anyone of you tested like described above, and what is your experience so far with Devialet Roon set up?
Devialet 1000 Pro, Black Magic DIG-IT MKII RCA-XLR link- Wilson Audio Sophia 3, IsoAcoustic GAIA 1- Roon Nucleus Plus, inboard 8TB SSD, Sbooster power supply- Synergistic Research Atmosphere Devialet Spec AC, Tesla T3 & Hologram D - Synergistic Research PowerCell 10 - Chord English switch, Wireworld Starlight TWINAX CAT 8 - Synergistic Research Tesla Apex speaker cables
                                                                                                                                 Oslo - Norway
(21-Feb-2019, 11:41)Toca Wrote: I have now done all the software upgrades needed and done an AB testing with the Devialet Roon input connected with Ethernet cable to a switch then to my QNAP NAS, and compared this to my existing Auralic Aries Streamer (the version with upgraded PS) which is connected to Devialet Pro 1000 with an USB cable.

Both inputs are connected to the same QNAP NAS with a Roon Core Server "ROCK" installed, and I have integrated TIDAL through the Roon Software.

To my big surprise I experience that the soundstage is much better/clearer and more depth and dynamics on the Auralic Aries Streamer. When I switch to the Devialet Roon input, I feel that the music sounds poorer, less soundstage compared to the Auralic Aries set up.

Have anyone of you tested like described above, and what is your experience so far with Devialet Roon set up?

You have a much more resolving system compared to mine, but I did notice a difference in sound when I switched from using my laptop (i7) as my core to the dedicated NUC connected via ethernet using AIR.  I briefly was convinced the laptop sounded better, and perhaps it did—someone suggested the NUC needed a bit of burn-in time.  What are your QNAP NAS specs? 

Before, the wifi <-> wifi arrangement sounded great, but was very taxing on my router.  I experience zero dropouts or aberrations now, and am now experimenting with better-shielded network cables to see if there's improvement to be had.  I still use WiFi to connect to my Expert Pro.  I regularly monitor my network and have minimal (<1%) packet loss.  After the firmware upgrade, I noticed a general improvement in sound quality that is hard to describe.  I still prefer the sound of AIR vs. RAAT.  Bits aren't just bits, possibly.  Your upgraded PS may have something to do with it.
My QNAP is the HS-251, powered by dual-core Intel Celeron 2.41GHz processor and 2GB RAM. Roon recomends minimum 4GB and Intel i3 processor. So my solution is quite under par. But this is just a temorary NAS set up, just for trying out the Roon solution. My NAS set up might be that this is the reason for not preforming soundwise as good as the streamer solution

But what I have read this ROON spesification only relates to the speed and avalability to run a big liberary.

I am very qurious to hear from other Devialet owners regarding your experience regarding this matter
Devialet 1000 Pro, Black Magic DIG-IT MKII RCA-XLR link- Wilson Audio Sophia 3, IsoAcoustic GAIA 1- Roon Nucleus Plus, inboard 8TB SSD, Sbooster power supply- Synergistic Research Atmosphere Devialet Spec AC, Tesla T3 & Hologram D - Synergistic Research PowerCell 10 - Chord English switch, Wireworld Starlight TWINAX CAT 8 - Synergistic Research Tesla Apex speaker cables
                                                                                                                                 Oslo - Norway
(21-Feb-2019, 13:52)Toca Wrote: My QNAP is the HS-251, powered by dual-core Intel Celeron 2.41GHz processor and 2GB RAM. Roon recomends minimum 4GB and Intel i3 processor. So my solution is quite under par. But this is just a temorary NAS set up, just for trying out the Roon solution. My NAS set up might be that this is the reason for not preforming soundwise as good as the streamer solution

But what I have read this ROON spesification only relates to the speed and avalability to run a big liberary.

I am very qurious to hear from other Devialet owners regarding your experience regarding this matter

Otherwise, how does ROON run generally for you?  A more robust, external core might improve performance in areas other than SQ, as you have read, but perhaps adding a LPS/low-noise-powered NUC could match the performance of the Aries.  The power feeding your switch might influence the SQ as well.  That said, you have a ROON endpoint that is designed to warrant a purchase—besides certain functionality, it'll have a signature that some prefer.  I just threw my wireless router on an ultra-low-noise PS tonight and found it made a difference, as optimized WiFi direct to the Devialet is my most practical solution right now.  I've been monitoring the performance/traffic between the Devialet and my router via Wireshark, and the data lines up with what I'm hearing—it's good.
(21-Feb-2019, 11:41)Toca Wrote: I have now done all the software upgrades needed and done an AB testing with the Devialet Roon input connected with Ethernet cable to a switch then to my QNAP NAS, and compared this to my existing Auralic Aries Streamer (the version with upgraded PS) which is connected to Devialet Pro 1000 with an USB cable.

Get someone help you change input without you knowing what’s playing and do it blind and see if you still reliably detect the same differences.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(22-Feb-2019, 12:15)Hifi_swlon Wrote:

Get someone help you change input without you knowing what’s playing and do it blind and see if you still reliably detect the same differences.

Very Interesting. Are you using Roon Ready or AIR when comparing to the Auralic? If you are using Roon Ready then the same comparison using AIR would be interesting, as I think AIR sounds better.
220 Pro/CI, Well Tempered Versalex/Kiseki PurpleHeart, QNAP HS 251+ NAS/Roon, Furutech e-TP86 power distributor, Audoquest NRG10 Power Cable, Furutech Flux-50 filter, Furutect Powerflux Power Cable, Furutech Speakerflux Speaker Cables, Sonus Faber Stradivari.