Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spark 1.4.1 release
I was about to re-install an earlier version of Spark to get rid of the crashing with Windows when lo and behold a notice popped up saying 1.4.1 is available. Just installed it so will see how it goes, hopefully no crashes......
Still stable?
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(24-Dec-2015, 14:46)ragwo Wrote: Still stable?

Yes, four hours now and would have crashed several times before.
I just got myself a new Silver Phantom. Decided to buy this instead of a new Play5, however am pretty dissapointed with the software.

The link below shows that you can use online streaming i.e Deezer, Tidal, but when I go to add online source, there is no option. It states that you do not need Dialog in order to play music from these sources.

http://en.devialet.com/phantom/#dialog/

In addition I created an account on the Spark app on my android phone, however when I try to login on windows, it just gives me a Login error. Seriously I can't believe I paid 5 times the price of the new Play 5. I could have 3 of those and the sub and a much better experience. Aware the quality will not be the same, but I imagine it wouldn't be much difference since I have to stream on another app via bluetooth, and switch back and forth between music app and spark to adjust volume, which is very slow and annoying because it takes a while for it to connect every time, what a joke.
The Homepage sais "access" to tidal. And thats what you have. Access. You can listen to it. Just not on your devialet system and not in Spark. Thats the biggest rip off ever. But they never said streaming of tidal in spark. As far as I understand you need dialog for that.

Welcome to world of false devialet advertising. You have to read every single word carefully in this new world.
The software is less than impressive, but if you shell out another $30 you can buy a Chromecast Audio and use the optical input on the Phantom and bypass Spark. Not an optimal solution but a quick fix until Devialet can provide proper software.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(26-Dec-2015, 15:38)ragwo Wrote: The software is less than impressive, but if you shell out another $30 you can buy a Chromecast Audio and use the optical input on the Phantom and bypass Spark. Not an optimal solution but a quick fix until Devialet can provide proper software.

Yeah, that sounds like my only option. Ebaying now for Chromecast Audio
Hi Theovip2 and welcome to the world of Phantom ownership - pleasure mixed with pain sometimes!

I have considered the new Play5 against the Phantom with the option of the Sonos sub. Whilst I doubt it'll give that wow factor the Phantoms can with the right material, it may well be good enough given the savings. I heard the Play5 in John Lewis before xmas, whilst that's hardly a critical listening environment, you could tell the unit is no slouch.

The software without a doubt is the Phantom's letdown, however as things go on it will mature and develop. The upcoming Spotify integration will be a big bonus as it will avoid Spark, in my experience of owning 2 Phantoms the less I have to do with Spark, the better.

With my Phantoms I've so far used my trusty Sonos Connect unit via optical into the Phantoms, as you might a Chromecast Audio, flipping back to Spark for volume control which isn't the end of the world. Having an additional £270 odd investment for the Sonos is less than ideal with over £3k worth of Phantoms but it does fix the Software/UI issues and bugs with Spark.

I get the distinct impression that down the line, say a year or so, the Phantoms will have evolved significantly with new features and more robust implementation of features currently in the software. Additional functionality such as home cinema (that I can't see happening without a new Dialog that has HDMI ports so audio and video can be synced) and up&p functionality to allow the Phantoms to play from a NAS drive I'm sure will arrive, but it'll take time to arrive and then more time to fix the bugs.

Being sold through Apple stores will pile some pressure on Devialet - I can't imagine Apple tolerate angry customers in their stores because there are loads of firmware glitches in their expensive speakers, rather they want happy customers buying more iDevices

The question I find Phantom ownership currently boils down to is: are you willing to put up with the lows (functionality, sometimes reliability and cost) to get the highs (SQ, range, detail)?

Also watch out if you want other Chromecast Audio's or Sonos units in the house, the Phantoms will be out of sync with the other units as there's a delay in the Phantoms playing music due to DSP, other non dsp speakers will be infront of the Phantoms when grouped if that makes sense. This Christmas it wasn't the same not having music playing all over the house as we are used to with Sonos, we could have it in the lounge and nowhere else or everywhere else and not the lounge as the Phantoms were out of sync - just one of those things that can't be helped when DSP is involved unfortunately.

I still have dilemma's about my Phantoms - sound and look the business Vs some glitches and UI immaturity.

Hope this helps, not really on thread of Spark 1.4.1 though sorry!
Hi BowlOfPetunias, thanks for the reply. That does confirm a few things and adds perspective.