Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spark/Dialogue -> Sonos beater?
Ok, let me be clear, I am talking usability here, not SQ.

And OK again, it seems there may be a few new Phantom owners that are experiencing difficulties with Spark and / or Dialogue. So the question of the thread maybe should be - does Spark / Dialogue have the potential to beat Sonos?

I am talking about the amalgamation of your sources under one control app, and being able to curate a playlist queue that's made up from different sources, including the web lossless streaming services that are coming to the forefront this year. Certainly, the website tutorial video for Spark seems to suggest it can, although my French is not good enough to understand the audio commentary.

I am hoping, like many others I guess, that the Expert units will be able to function with Spark & Dialogue, just as the Phantom does, yes I know it's pending firmware updates, and it may be longer than proposed (June 2015?) before it happens, and yes there are probably a few iterations of Spark, and maybe Dialogue firmware also before it all meshes together without bugs, but I am really excited about this prospect.

What do you guys think? (Sorry if it's been covered somewhere else already, I'm new here and I did search  Shy  )
Devialet 220 Pro, TQ Black Mains & Ultra Black Speaker Cables, Naim Ovators S600, Sonore microRendu (Roon & HQP) with Uptone JS-2
TRNC (North Cyprus)
Well, I doubt that the Spark/Dialog combi will beat the Sonos Connect for the time being. There are already to many reports that the Spark software is to buggy. And on a Dutch forum I read that it doesn't play gapless, as Sonos does. It might take quite some time to resolve all this. At the moment we don't have any idea at all how it will sound on a Expert Line Devialet.

The Sonos app is a daily pleasure to use and lots of music-services are integrated. If you would have your Sonos Connect modified like I did, there is a lot to winn SQ-wise and at a very reasonable fare. The only minus is that it doesn't play highres tracks. 

In due time, when the Dialog does what it's also meant for, namely talking to the Expert Line, I can keep a shootout between the two. ChM 
■ Devialet 1000 Pro & Roon Lifetime ■ Dynaudio Sapphire ■ Streacom fanless HTPC-SSD (W8.1) ■ Sonos  Connect (+Magna Ultimo mod) ■ Qobuz Studio  Qnap TS 219 P II ■ v.d. Hul The Revolution LS cables ■ PS Audio Quintet ■ picture: Sony VPL-HW65ES & LG-OLED65C9
Amsterdam NL
(10-Mar-2015, 20:00)AllenB Wrote: Ok, let me be clear, I am talking usability here, not SQ.

And OK again, it seems there may be a few new Phantom owners that are experiencing difficulties with Spark and / or Dialogue. So the question of the thread maybe should be - does Spark / Dialogue have the potential to beat Sonos?

I am talking about the amalgamation of your sources under one control app, and being able to curate a playlist queue that's made up from different sources, including the web lossless streaming services that are coming to the forefront this year. Certainly, the website tutorial video for Spark seems to suggest it can, although my French is not good enough to understand the audio commentary.

I am hoping, like many others I guess, that the Expert units will be able to function with Spark & Dialogue, just as the Phantom does, yes I know it's pending firmware updates, and it may be longer than proposed (June 2015?) before it happens, and yes there are probably a few iterations of Spark, and maybe Dialogue firmware also before it all meshes together without bugs, but I am really excited about this prospect.

What do you guys think? (Sorry if it's been covered somewhere else already, I'm new here and I did search  Shy  )

I have recently given my opinion elsewhere.
Sonos have been refining their software for many years. It has a very straightforward and simple specification. Spark is new. It is supposed to deal with all sorts of different file types on all sorts of devices. The specification is almost open ended.
I would say it will be very expensive and time consuming to get it reasonable bug free and it is completely unreasonable to expect it to match the functionality of Sonos quickly since it is so much more complex and their software has years of maturity already.
IMHO.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

It's the potential I was really referring to, of course there is much development still to do, but the tutorial video on the Spark webpage makes it look like it will do all, or most of what the Sonos control does.
Devialet 220 Pro, TQ Black Mains & Ultra Black Speaker Cables, Naim Ovators S600, Sonore microRendu (Roon & HQP) with Uptone JS-2
TRNC (North Cyprus)
(11-Mar-2015, 14:57)AllenB Wrote: It's the potential I was really referring to, of course there is much development still to do, but the tutorial video on the Spark webpage makes it look like it will do all, or most of what the Sonos control does.

Doubtful if it will ever match the Sonos UI. If they can't even get their much lauded Air system working properly after 5 years then there is little hope that they will deliver something else software based which is groundbreaking. 
Devialet D400, Magico S3, Crystal Cable Dreamline Plus, Aurender N100H, PS Audio Premier, QNAP NAS