Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speaker Cables
Just thought I would report back on a change I made last night which surprised me....

As some will already know, my system comprises of D200, Triangle Deltas, Moon 260D Neo CD Transport, Qnap NAS over wifi/ethernet.

The mains cables are all standard, and the speakers connected originally with Audioquest CV-4.2 cables.

I did find the CD's somewhat harsh in the upper registers with mid being a tad recessive, but good bass, but I put this down to newness of all the components, and would get better over time. Streamed music was a little less harsh though....

Over the weekend I had to solve the problem of a doorway betwix the rt speaker and amp on a more permanent basis as I did not want my missus or the cat tripping over the Audioquests.

The Audioqests were way too short and the cots of buying longer ones (8 mtrs each) was out of my budget, so had a good look around t'internet and found the Van Damme Professional Blue Studio Grade (4mm) cables at around £100.
To be honest, I was not expecting much, as the intention was to save my pennies for something better later.

How wrong I was!
Last night I hooked everything up and started to play stuff from both sources... and was gob-smacked! The harshness had gone, mids delivering more prominently, Bass even better.... It had the grin-factor in buckets - Overall MUCH more musical, and ear fatigue gone!

I certainly did not expect this given the cost, and can only praise these cables very highly.

Anyone else tried these?
Fairford UK area - Devialet 440, Aurender Streamer- Linked to QNAP NAS 453mini - Triangle Signature Deltas, Van Damme Professional Blue Series Studio Grade 2 x 4.0 mm cables, Moon Neo 260D DC Transport, Dell notebook Client linked both ethernet & wifi.
teddlesdee,

It is a nice surprise to find such an improvement with the cable change. I've had similar experiences, where different speaker cables corrected the same condition you described; slight sharpness in the treble, recessed mids, but still good bass.

I've changed cables a few times, either out of curiosity, using something I had or was given or out of need, trying to find something that would actually bend around the corners. The sound change has sometimes been remarkable. Treble eased off, bass remained good but improved, and the midrange came back into line. Flaws that I assumed were in the box components were solved by changes in speaker cable.

Like you, I found that different cables seem to adjust the relative levels high, mids, and lows, that the system produces. The compatibility varies with amplifiers and speakers, but it really can be a different way to vary the character and presentation of the sound. I've never played with expensive cables but I think that a 4mm x-section is probably a very good size.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
Thanks for the advice, I happened to buy those Van Damme Professional Blue Studio Grade (4mm) cables and I'm really happy with it. I only listen Jazz and I'm really pleased with the soft and cool sound I have now... Cool
iMac 27", Airport extreme to Airport express, Devialet 120, VanDamme Blue 4mm cable, Martin Logan Sl II
In comparison with the super-turbo-nutter type cables being sold these days, complete with 'bling' backpacks, batteries and the like, these studio cables look very basic indeed. bearing in mind the overall diameter, I was surprised with how flexible they are so routing around tight corners is not a problem.
I have quite an eclectic mix of music interests, and last night I dug up a CD I had not rated very highly when I first got it, and had not listened to for quite a few years - Vangelis - China!

WOW! the reproduction was amazing - so clear - so engaging! Now one of my favs!

I am well-pleased! Smile
Fairford UK area - Devialet 440, Aurender Streamer- Linked to QNAP NAS 453mini - Triangle Signature Deltas, Van Damme Professional Blue Series Studio Grade 2 x 4.0 mm cables, Moon Neo 260D DC Transport, Dell notebook Client linked both ethernet & wifi.
Interesting. You guys bought Van Damme Blue in bare wires to connect direct from your Expert to the speakers OR bought the ones with factory banana connector?
(09-Jun-2015, 16:54)G51 Wrote: Interesting. You guys bought Van Damme Blue in bare wires to connect direct from your Expert to the speakers OR bought the ones with factory banana connector?

There is also the Hi Fi version as well that is a nice upgrade to the studio version, I have used both and added banana plugs when necessary.
Melco N1A, Oppo HA-1 AudioCom Special Edition, HiFiMan HE1000
Hello, Mac User. Hi Fi Version you meant the BLUE x6mm cross section ones?
(09-Jun-2015, 18:01)G51 Wrote: Hello, Mac User. Hi Fi Version you meant the BLUE x6mm cross section ones?

Nope, the VAN DAMME UP-LCOFC SHOTGUN STYLE HIFI SERIES SPEAKER CABLE, as used in recording studios and domestic environments.