Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speakers - SAM vs non-SAM
Hello - I have a 200 on order, arriving in a week or two. I currently have B&W CM10s(in another room) that I am thinking of using in a new audio room build and their are SAM files available (and backfilling them). Prior to deciding on the 200 I had considered either Revel F208s or GoldenEar Triton Ones. Neither of these has SAM files. ..so, my question is should I use my CM10s because there are SAM files avail or go ahead with some new speakers for the new media room?
(28-Feb-2015, 06:27)actx76092 Wrote: Hello - I have a 200 on order, arriving in a week or two.  I currently have B&W CM10s(in another room) that I am thinking of using in a new audio room build and their are SAM files available (and backfilling them).  Prior to deciding on the 200 I had considered either Revel F208s or GoldenEar Triton Ones.  Neither of these has SAM files. ..so, my question is should I use my CM10s because there are SAM files avail or go ahead with some new speakers for the new media room?

Would certainly suggest that you try the B&Ws with SAM first.  In my room, with my speakers, SAM made a big difference, even though I've dialled it down to 40%.   That's the beauty of SAM - you can tune it to your room. 
Auralic Aries G2 > Kii Control > Kii Audio 3 BXT
Hi,
I found that SAM made a huge difference to my speakers and not just in the lower frequency's. I would certainly use your B&Ws and just compare with and without SAM. If you are going to upgrade your speakers in the future I would audition SAM ready models and you never know there might be speakers you have'nt considered that blow you away, with SAM of course. One thing is for sure you are going to be a happy bunny very soon!

Cheers
Bill.
Devialet 1000pro C1. Aurender N10 Wilson Benesch A.C.T. ONE Evolution P1 Naim headline Naim highcap Sennheiser HD 800 Naim Super Lumina speaker cable. Shunyata Delta EF mains cables. 2 PSI AVAA C20 active acoustic absorbers.
Before I bought my Devialet 200, I auditioned the following systems.

System #1:
Devialet 200 with B&W 805D bookshelf speakers.

System #2;
Devialet 400 with B&W 802D floorstanding speakers.

For both systems, the source was a Windows laptop running J. River and connected via USB (AudioQuest Carbon USB).

With both systems, I was able to audition with SAM ON and SAM OFF and was also able to audition with various degree of SAM.  For both setups, I found that SAM made a very notible different for the better.  I also read a review where the reviewer mentioned that SAM was a very good improvement but that it was depended on the material playing.  

For me, as soon as a SAM profile is available for my speakers, I will definitely be experimenting with it.  As a side note, having heard the Devialet with SAM Ready speakers, if I were in the market for new speakers, I would definitely buy SAM Ready speakers. 
Hi,

I can only reliably speak for my SF Olympicas II. I've heard SAM in other, unfamiliar setups, and honestly, in quite poor conditions (on one occasion at Devialet Paris HQ).

In my setup and room SAM has really made a difference. It safely pushes the Olympicas down to almost full range (from 40 to 23 Hz), which in turn increases the sense of fullness, presence and ambience very notably.

But, to keep it accurate, in hindsight I haven't been able to really enjoy SAM until I moved from my shamefully performing laptop to the Aurender. As it's not only improved dramatically in all tech aspects but has made the listening engaging again! A bit like my former Naim rig, but now on steroids! Smile

Hope it helps.

ML
Aurender X100 >> Totaldac USB cable >> D200 >> SF Olympica II

Italy