Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spotify via Spark vs Sonos App ( Connect )
Hi Guys,
Today I'm using Sonos Multi-room system consisting of 4 Sonos Connect together with active speakers ( B&O) as well as one High-end setup
Spotify is the # 1 source for me when listening to music even though I have lots of music on my NAS, but the convenience and the enormous amount of playlists and  social sharing I have working in conjunction to my Spotify account make any other type of source just cumbersome and clumsy.
I'm very satisfied with how Sonos works especially on an iPad ( more real estate) and is doubtful that I like to use something that is not as good as that.
can you guys simply explain the big differences between using Spotify in Spark versus if i would hook one of the Sonos Connect up to the Dialog and use it as a "external" source, read somewhere that a set-up that does work good but the volume have to be adjusted in Spark.

One of my questions are; but if the Phantoms have almost zero distorsion why not put the spark Volume to 100 and then adjust the volume through the Sonos App ?
And some general feed-back would be great to have.

Thanks in advance
Devialet Silver Phantoms pair + Dialog, will be connected through DSPeaker 2.0 ( DSP / Room-Correction) and hopped-up G-sonos. ( thinking of ROON) "Retiring" Goldmund / JOB225 Amp, Antony Gallo Reference 3.5. Keeping Active Bang & Olufsen Beolabs in different rooms connected to Sonos.
Sonos is capable of 24 a bit stream and assuming you source material is <=16 bits, you have 8 bits that can be used for volume control. That equates to -48db. Beyond -48db in Sonos, you will start losing resolution. More in-depth discussion here: http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=2467.

Besides that, I fully agree, Sonos is the reference in terms of UX and I do what you do (with Devialet @ 75, which is as high as I ever listen).Only thing I miss is optical in and an IR on the Connect, which would make it play nice with a TV (the way that Bluesound does it, but without the Sonos UX).
Well Spotify is not in Spark, it's Spotify Connect. So really you can just pick your Phantom as the current playback device in the Spotify app itself.
You get full volume control over your Phantom from within Spotify as well. This is by far the best way to use Spotify with your Phantom.
More info here: https://www.spotify.com/connect/
Thanks, OK, Spotify Connect that I know how it works, Thanks
Devialet Silver Phantoms pair + Dialog, will be connected through DSPeaker 2.0 ( DSP / Room-Correction) and hopped-up G-sonos. ( thinking of ROON) "Retiring" Goldmund / JOB225 Amp, Antony Gallo Reference 3.5. Keeping Active Bang & Olufsen Beolabs in different rooms connected to Sonos.
New question
Ok, Phantoms are now Spotify Connect ready, However does that mean that Spotify Connect can be use as a Multi-room system, and by that the music will be synced as well as possible to adjust the volume individually ?
I assume NOT...but please clarify
however if I do keep one of my Sonos Connect and put that as a source into the Dialog, then a Multi-room solution would be possible...or
(13-Feb-2016, 12:22)McChicken Wrote: New question
Ok, Phantoms are now Spotify Connect ready, However does that mean that Spotify Connect can be use as a Multi-room system, and by that the music will be synced as well as possible to adjust the volume individually ?
I assume NOT...but please clarify
however if I do keep one of my Sonos Connect and put that as a source into the Dialog, then a Multi-room solution would be possible...or

By default each "room" in your setup will be available as a Spotify Connect device in the Spotify picker.
When you join rooms in Spark, they will appear as a single device in Spotify, with a clear name for example: "Living Room + Office", at least that's what happens for me.
There is no way to group devices in Spotify Connect as the app is not multi-room aware, and you can only pick one device to stream to.