Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Standby power consumption
Can I ask you both how you measured it? What equipment etc?
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
I have one of these, £20 from Amazon and I can't vouch for its accuracy!

[Image: aCFh7A7.jpg]
I switch everything off at the plug when not using it.
I used to leave my hifis and computers in standby 24/7 but stopped a couple of years ago when i did a few sums and installed solar cells.

I suppose in "standby" quite a bit of DSP activity must still be happening for the switch on to work as it does????

I am still without my 800s but I will check as a matter of interest when they get back.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Rufus's meter should do a good enough job so to me that means not to worry about the cost of having my Dev200 on, off, or stand-by. I could save more money by not buying designer jeans.

Last year I bought 'Get better sound' by Jim smith. He reckons you should never evaluate a DAC unless it has been on for 24 hours. Not sure why 24; I would think a few hours would warm it up enough. Most of his tips have been spot on but with the DAC being integrated in the Dev it's hard to say what it is that's changing the sound when it warms up.

Any thoughts on warming up? Worth the money leaving it on?
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Mine certainly seems to sound better after it has been on for an hour or more. FWIW my Goldmund preamp and DAC needed hours to warm up, but not the amps.

I have greatly extended the time to go into power saving and then sleep modes in the configurator. I want to decide when to switch it off myself...
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Had a look at that part of the Configurator; the help message on the right says this:

The Devialet has been designed to remove any source of thermal distortion and allow you to fully enjoy your music from the very first second.

I haven't been able to pinpoint a difference myself but that's possibly mainly because of my speakers; B&W DM14. Look em up on google. all pictures are in black and white. That's how old they are. How big is the difference F1eng?
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(14-Jul-2014, 20:51)Pim van Vliet Wrote: Had a look at that part of the Configurator; the help message on the right says this:

The Devialet has been designed to remove any source of thermal distortion and allow you to fully enjoy your music from the very first second.

I haven't been able to pinpoint a difference myself but that's possibly mainly because of my speakers; B&W DM14. Look em up on google. all pictures are in black and white. That's how old they are. How big is the difference F1eng?

Well I am famous for not being able to hear loads of differences others seem to find huge.
For me the warmed amp is smoother and more airy/spacious. My Goldmund kit sounded relatively hard when cold and the smooth airyness it developed is similar to the Devialet when warm.
The Devialet is actually the only amp I have heard that matches the Goldmunds at a much lower price and using much less space and power.

To put it in perspective though, if there is a difference in SQ between a D-Premier and a 250 I did not notice it, so maybe we are all sensitive to dfferent things??
Oxfordshire

I'm just happy Devialet can be programmed to go to standby automatically. In my opinion Devialet sounded great from the start and it's always good when you turn it on. How convenient is that. I used to own a amp that required several days to warm up in order to sound it's best and while being idle it used 60W.

The 8W from Devialet is nothing and the fact that there is no need (IMO) to warm up the amp separately is a huge plus.
I feel a new poll coming up; Do you hear any difference between a 'cold' Dev and a warm one and how long does it take for the difference to appear? (maybe add temperatures as well; ambient, Class A and D)
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
I have also just noticed that my 2 Dev 250 are very warm after some hours of standby. This was never an issue, the single Devialet was only slightly warm. Now it has the same temperature as if it is in use. Not sure if this is because of the mono mode or if this happens since firmware 7.x. This is totally unacceptable...if I go to standby I can live with 8w per unit, but not with a total standby power consumption of 68 w. If I'm at home again I will try to find out if it is a dual mono issue or a firmware 7.1 issue...