Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom II questions: midrange and Bluesound Input
Hi All, 

Bear with me for the background, or skip ahead to the Q & A section. I didn't find the info in the past threads, so I started another. 

I've been without my D220 ProCI for 10 days, and the Dali Epicons's are gone. Today I started shopping for a standmount speaker to go with the NAD M32 and the KEF KC62 sub. One intent of this whole operation has been to go a simpler, less expensive, less precious system. Which is still a clear goal. Surprisingly, speakers that retail for $2,000.00 CDN don't seem to be up to the job. Surprise, surprise. 

Today I listened to the ELAC Unifi Ref URB62, the Q Acoustics Concept 30 and a Fyne standmount, the F500. Not the SP version. Not enough bass def in the Fyne. Q 30 better detail than the others, but a bit laid back, and slightly small sounding. ELAC maybe to excitable? Still, big sound and good extension, and a forward midrange. Which is no bad thing. 

But...

I also listened to the Phantom II 98 db versions. Nice, very nice. I'd get the 95 db version and save $600.00.

So my questions are:

Has anybody run a Blusound Node (or similar) into the Phantoms ? If so, how does that work out with the Devialet app as well as the BluOS app? We prefer Deezer to Spotify, I don't use Tidal and I don't use ROON. No hi-rez or MQA interest. 

What is the opinion of owners on the midrange quality of the little Phantoms? The bass is so complete that is is easy to ignore the rest of the sound spectrum. I will not consider the big phantom Gold. just too much size and cost. 

Any other thoughts about an alternative speaker? And yes, I'm staying cheap. Also thinking of building the CSS Audio Criton TDX-1 kit, with the tweeter and X-over upgrade. 

They will be close to the back wall (or front wall) and not out in the open, on their own. Just no space for that. Photo below to illustrate the room. 

The Phantoms would let me sell the NAD and the KEF sub, and I'd be super small and simple. So in terms of cost, I'd be very much on equal terms with just buying small speakers. 

Any and all bits of advice or encouragement or horror stories welcome. I'm a potential owner and I need all the help I can get. 

Thanks Friends!

Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
The Phantom II is good in mid range but loses out to the Phantom I Gold in treble (when I compared them side by side when it was still known as the Reactor). If you can,  use UPnP with Ethernet cable to give best SQ. Then, Wifi, Airplay with optical my least preferred (but many people still happy with it).

With the Node, you can output optical, and use BluOS to control the music. Will work well but not ultimate SQ.  If you can set up a UPnP server, it will sound better, but you cannot use BluOS.

Your room does look big, so suggest the 98 dB version.

An alternative, with good bass, is the Buchardt A500SE (SE is worth the extra dollars!).  It is more expensive than the Phantom Ii but I think offers more flexibility and maybe even better sound.  Had them at home, on loan, and they could compete with systems costing a lot more.
Hi @Damon
are you using Roon? Phantoms are Roon Ready so RAAT is also an option. Even less boxes....
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Thanks guys,

@Snoopy8 I did trial the Buchardt A500's last year, but there was no SE version. It may be that those are only available in the US. I actually did not like them enough to keep them, but perhaps the SE version is better. Thanks for the confirmation regarding the Bluesound Node as a source. I know it is not optimal but I'm already well below the SQ I had with the 220 and the Dali Epicons, so I think that is sort of a given, and something I have to accept.

@ogs I don't use ROON, as I mentioned, but it could be something to look into if it is a better overall system for connectivity and control.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
My suggestion would be to stick with the 98's. I've had 95s - and used Devialet's upgrade program to get 98's and Phantom 108's. I find them better equipped at filling the room with mid and bass at lower volumes, while I had to push the 95's a bit harder to feel satisfied.

I originally thought the tweeters in the 98's use upgraded materials than the 95s - but I'm wrong. It's the Phantom I's that use different tweeter materials between the 103s and the 108s.

As for your questions:
• I don't use Bluesound, but I can't think of why they wouldn't work. That said, if you're streaming and using the app on your phone/tablet, I'd be tempted to just use AirPlay and skip the Bluesound?
• Midrange is decent, for sure, for a 2 way speaker. They do have rudimentary EQ in the Devialet app, and something like Roon would give you more control. I use Roon with Tidal, though I wish they'd implement Apple Music so I can drop a subscription.
• I don't have enough experience with other speakers to be helpful, but the KEF LSII's and a sub would be good competition.
• Space wise, the area needed for the speaker on a stand is pretty close between the Phantom I and Phantom II, as the legs on the latter are longer (the tweeters sit at about the same height when on stands). The Devialet stands are well made and look good, and for me they were worth the (significant) cost. That said, they will occupy a bit more floorspace than the ones in your photo. You can wall mount the Phantom II's as well.
The default tuning for phantom will distort the midrange, I'll say phantom is better than let say KEF LS50wII + KC62 in instrumental music performance, but lose out in vocal tracks.

I'll stick to phantom since I mostly listen to instrumental, but you can always use the app eq to swap into voice mode when you listen to vocal tracks.

See phantom obviously beats every of them in the first track the instrumental jazz, while lose out in the second one the vocal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd7Ohv5i9-E
I wonder if you can help - I am new to this forum and cannot for the life of me see how to make a post!

I have two phantom golds, about 5 years old.  I was advised to get rid of the Dialolgue and set them up with "Bluetooth"?  They keep dropping off my list of devices.  I have reset them all once today, and they are gone again .....
Any ideas?

Thanks
S Devy
(30-Nov-2022, 19:01)SDevy Wrote: I have two phantom golds, about 5 years old.  I was advised to get rid of the Dialolgue and set them up with "Bluetooth"?  They keep dropping off my list of devices.  I have reset them all once today, and they are gone again .....

Welcome to the forum...

Have you got the latest firmware on the Phantoms?  How are the 2 Phantoms connected?  Is Bluetooth the only way, or can you use Wifi, Ethernet cable etc?
(30-Nov-2022, 19:01)SDevy Wrote: I wonder if you can help - I am new to this forum and cannot for the life of me see how to make a post!

I have two phantom golds, about 5 years old.  I was advised to get rid of the Dialolgue and set them up with "Bluetooth"?  They keep dropping off my list of devices.  I have reset them all once today, and they are gone again .....
Any ideas?

Thanks
S Devy

Bluetooth cannot do pairing, you must use wifi or ethernet cable. You should also update firmware first.