Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stereo question
Huh Here's silly question of the day. If you run 2 Phantoms in stereo how does the dialog decide which one gets left signal and which gets right. Or is it actually dual mono?
Synology DS215 NAS (2x WD RED 1Tb) > Virgin Superhub 3 > HP Pavilion X360 laptop > Phantom Reactor 600 > JRiver MC25 > JRemote > A&K AK70mkii DAP > Supra Cat8 Ethernet cable > Sony WH-1000XM4 > jar of cream v2
In the Spark setup you assign the speakers to left or right with drag & drop. They emit a sound while doing this so there is also audible feedback Smile

Innuos Zen Mini MK3 -> (Ethernet / Audioquest Optical) -> Dialog & 2x White Phantom
Pro-Ject Carbon Debut Esprit Turntable with Ortofon Red -> (Cinch/RCA) Musical Fidelity Merlin -> (AudioQuest Optical) to Phantom
Master & Dynamics MH40, Audeze Sine, AudioQuest Dragonfly Red; Remote Control via macOS and iOS devices (Devialet App / Innuos Sense /iPeng / Audirvāna Studio)
Thanks Seb. Think I'll start saving up. Even with how good this sounds, I've came from a large Stereo system so it's taking a bit of getting used to having all the sound coming from a single source. My son even commented on how good the Midrange was. We are both heavily into Hifi (had a pair of B&W Nautilus 802s a while back ). At least now i have a lot more empty space in my living room.
Synology DS215 NAS (2x WD RED 1Tb) > Virgin Superhub 3 > HP Pavilion X360 laptop > Phantom Reactor 600 > JRiver MC25 > JRemote > A&K AK70mkii DAP > Supra Cat8 Ethernet cable > Sony WH-1000XM4 > jar of cream v2
I started with one as well and I was very pleased. However, when I heard the Stereo setup at a dealer there was no discussion that I need a Stereo setup. It makes a huge (!) difference and it is a significant upgrade. In my personal opinion it is absolutely worth the money. I also had a very nice Stereo System with Sonus Faber and Tag McLaren as well as a 5.1 Setup with Piega Speakers. As I wanted to "simplify" my life and regain some space in our living room I got rid of both and ordered my second Phantom and a Dialog. I never regretted it.

Innuos Zen Mini MK3 -> (Ethernet / Audioquest Optical) -> Dialog & 2x White Phantom
Pro-Ject Carbon Debut Esprit Turntable with Ortofon Red -> (Cinch/RCA) Musical Fidelity Merlin -> (AudioQuest Optical) to Phantom
Master & Dynamics MH40, Audeze Sine, AudioQuest Dragonfly Red; Remote Control via macOS and iOS devices (Devialet App / Innuos Sense /iPeng / Audirvāna Studio)
(22-Feb-2016, 23:03)seb Wrote: I started with one as well and I was very pleased. However, when I heard the Stereo setup at a dealer there was no discussion that I need a Stereo setup. It makes a huge (!) difference and it is a significant upgrade. In my personal opinion it is absolutely worth the money. I also had a very nice Stereo System with Sonus Faber and Tag McLaren as well as a 5.1 Setup with Piega Speakers. As I wanted to "simplify" my life and regain some space in our living room I got rid of both and ordered my second Phantom and a Dialog. I never regretted it.

This is one of the areas where we go from lifestyle product to real hi-fi. What I found is that I got a great sound from a single unit when I put it towards a corner in a room as it then produced enough reflections to fill the room. BUt all of these reflections would not be desirable in a stereo set-up. So when I went to stereo, I repositioned again and got a massive improvement aside from the stereo image. Devialet have clearly been conflicted all along how and who to sell these things too. And as a pair, for many, it is an expensive proposition so if they can appeal to people with the idea of a single unit, then they have the potential to shift more boxes.
At least you get the opportunity to buy one at a time if like me,you can't afford 2 at the moment. Unlike most stereo speakers that only come in pairs. I've had a stereo system since i was about 17, my first proper one being ,Dual CS-505/2 Turntable, NAD 3120 Amp and JBL TLX3-Gi Speakers. CD players hadn't been invented yet. :-). Im 50 yo now so I'm getting lazy and can't be bothered getting up and down to change CDs over so the convenience of having it all in one place is what keeps me interested. I just set all my music to random mode and press Play. I love technology as long as it sounds good.