Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stop me from making a mistake...
I currently own and love my Devialet 200 integrated amp.  It looks and sounds great and takes up very little space but can provide some real power when required.

Back in late 80's, when I moved out of my parent's place, I started shopping around for my first real serious audio system.  I had auditioned some McIntosh gear (tube & integrated) and was really impressed with the system but at that time, I couldn't afford it.

Fast forward to 2015, after several upgrades & trades, I've ended up with the Devialet 200 integrated amp (see my signature block below).  About 2 weeks ago, I visited a local dealer (dealer who sold me my ProAc speakers) and noticed that he now carries McIntosh.  Never having forgotten my first experience back in the days, I decided to audition a McIntosh system.  The system consisted of the McIntosh MAC6700 stereo receiver (200W/ch integrated which includes: MC/MM phone stage, DAC and tuner) and I must say, I was really impressed and all those feelings from my first audition came back.  It's been 2 weeks and I can't seem to get the system out of my mind.

McIntosh MAC6700 => http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/us/Products/...Id=MAC6700

I realize that the unit is big & bulky (compared to the Devialet) but it's still an all-in-one box and I couldn't find anything wrong with the unit.  I auditioned it with a McIntosh MCD550 CD player and a pair of ProAc Response D30R speakers (same model I own) plus I also auditioned it with a pair of Sonus Faber Olympica II speakers.  

In your honest opinion, what would I be missing or giving up if I were to trade-in my Devialet 200 for the McIntosh MAC6700 (besides space on my audio rack)?

I need help, please...   Confused
SAM? Upgrades?

McIntosh gear has that iconic design and it does look cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You don't actually state what it is you like about the sound of the McIntosh? So what will you be missing? SAM is an obvious example as sleach mentions. I would also say that the phono stage in the McIntosh is unlikely to be as good as Devialet's offering. I have tried some external phono stages vs the Devialet's and found the Dev offering to be best, so I feel it is unlikely that McIntosh's internal offering will be as good. (although I have never heard one, so this is conjecture)

Also, I think one of the best things about the D200 is that it offers an economic upgrade path to a D400. A while back I did hear a D400 powering a pair of Sonus Faber Olympica II's, which was very good indeed!

Finally, the other thing you will miss is all the nice folk on this forum......
The only way to make sure it's the right decision is to do a home comparison, try hanging a McIntosh on the wall and see whether the people on the macintosh forum are as cool as we are here Smile

I do like the look of those big blue lights but when you're having a nice night with candles on and they shine in your face it probably will be quite the distraction.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(14-Dec-2015, 15:21)Pim van Vliet Wrote: I do like the look of those big blue lights but when you're having a nice night with candles on and they shine in your face it probably will be quite the distraction.

On the new models, these can be dimmed or turned off.
If you go for a McIntosh MAC6700, it will still be a McIntosh MAC6700 one year later with no new function (and excitement). It will be an old model after MAC6700 MK II is released someday.

I myself like vinyl a lot. Though I think the hiss sound of Devialet phono is a bit louder (asking too much?) than what I initially expect but it sounds really really good even using with a very inexpensive SC and makes me smile from my bottom of my heart when I listen to my favorite LPs (mainly classical reissues).

Maybe this way - you can buy a McIntosh Mini HiFi combo and/or McIntosh clock ($$$) both with the blue icon windows.

Cheers!
I echo @Pim's post. Get it home and listen to it there! Smile
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.
Further to that: get it home, listen to it there for as long as you can, and see how you feel about it when you go back to listening to your D200.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(14-Dec-2015, 18:08)thumb5 Wrote: Further to that: get it home, listen to it there for as long as you can, and see how you feel about it when you go back to listening to your D200.

Excellent advice. I wouldn't make any decisions without an extended home dem. You might also want to try feeding the D200 from the MCD550 CD player... might be quite an interesting result.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
I think there is some great advice here about needing a home demo to compare.

I had my 200 on a home demo, but I was only comparing it to a Musical Fidelity M6 amp and the difference was staggering. I remember when the dealer left it with me I thought to myself that at 6k this was going to have to be pretty special. The truth is after a week with it at home it could have been 12k and I would have ha dit.

I have also considered albeit briefly, looking at other amps recently, only because Devialet misled me about AIR and I feel a bit aggrieved. But this bloody thing sounds wonderful, it really does. But I am curious now to hear better gear to compare I guess.

Get a home demo and if the Mcintosh beats the Devialet I would have no hesitation about changing if I was you. It would also be very interesting to hear about your experience as there are many on here who have swapped very expensive high end gear for their Devialet.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England